Starting a New Arguement

Bob - S50

Would have thought that the premier book on aerodynamics would have been a product of the AF more than the Navy...

It covers all the topics of Mooney airplane aerodynamics and then some....

Print date 1965, price $3.50 from the GPO...

Easy to download into iBooks..!

Best regards,

-a-

Would have thought that the premier book on aerodynamics would have been a product of the AF more than the Navy...

-a-

Funny you should mention that, from the Air Force Instrument Flying Manual: maintaining a desired altitude requires the ability to maintain a specific pitch attitude...maintaining an airspeed is accomplished by adjusting power.

I'm going with the Air Force

While doing some pattern work in an under powered taildragger today I was absolutely in pitch a for airspeed camp because the power was in idle from the time we hit downwind abeam the numbers. AOA/drag in a slip/proper turn timing were the only means of adjusting aimpoint. Never could let the energy get low until you were in the flare. Also on climb out at max power you had to adjust pitch for airspeed because there was not enough power to get it.

Made it a challenge to follow the C150 doing a base for 2 mile final each lap. We took off when they called a base turn. I guess they were doing the pitch for aimpoint and power for airspeed technique.

Flying is a pitch and power control application which can then be validated by the performance indicators like aimpoint, airspeed, ROC, stall/spin/die. Fly safe.

It covers all the topics of Mooney airplane aerodynamics and then some....

Print date 1965, price $3.50 from the GPO...

Easy to download into iBooks..!

Best regards,

-a-

As a former Naval Aviator and now a current Air Force pilot, I can say this:

Try landing on an Aircraft Carrier at 155 kts, then get back to me on whom should be writing books and about what ;-)!

JOB,

Anyone using 155kts as final approach speed has talent.

Having the runway move in 3D, while approaching at 155kts, using short field technique, takes extra talent. Way extra talent!

I'll have to read both books for a fair comparison.

Stay safe and best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

As a former Naval Aviator and now a current Air Force pilot, I can say this:

Try landing on an Aircraft Carrier at 155 kts, then get back to me on whom should be writing books and about what ;-)!

Since this is a government book, I'm betting it wasn't a Naval aviator who wrote it, probably some dweeb with a Phd.

If you need to change altitude quickly, do you really use the throttle, or do you use the stick? I'm betting after setting up 155 knots speed, it was stick and rudder

Since this is a government book, I'm betting it wasn't a Naval aviator who wrote it, probably some dweeb with a Phd.

If you need to change altitude quickly, do you really use the throttle, or do you use the stick? I'm betting after setting up 155 knots speed, it was stick and rudder

A carrier landing is a bit of a unique environment... If you're "fast" (low AOA relative to onspeed) you typically end up with a hook skip. If you're slow (high AOA) huge sink rates can develop since you're on the backside of the power curve. You must fly onspeed AOA to get your hook into the wires and actually catch one... Part of that is the design of the hook itself relative to the main landing gear. You also start your flight 12,000 lbs heavier than you end it... And if you dropped bombs or shot missiles, that number can be much higher. So flying an optimal onspeed AOA approach is mandatory. So much so that a repeater of your AOA indexer is located on the nose gear so that the LSO's (landing signals officers) can see if you're "fast or slow" as well.

In that, reference my earlier post- one begets the other (attitude and thrust). And the best way to operate is with a three part power correction. Stick movements require a thrust change and vice versa, or else you're no longer flying a stabilized approach at the appropriate "onspeed" AOA.

• Like 1