Replacement for KX165......Suggestions?

Earl

My number 2 Nav/Comm is a KX165 and is causing me fits despite two attempts at repair.  What happens is it has a lot of static right after startup that eventually goes away after it warms up. I get all sorts of grief, mostly from clearance delivery and ground which is what I use it for.  Doesn't seem to have a problem on the Nav side, just the Comm.

I am considering all my alternatives, get a new unit, buy a used unit or replacing it with another product.  I am curious what others think.  I already have an IFR-certified Garmin 430 (non-WAAS) as my number 1.  I dont want to spend $15K on a new 430 and am reluctant to spend the $5K on a new unit but am likewise concerned about buying another used unit. 

hi.  i put a garmin SL30 in as my nav/com 2 and am very pleased with it but it is a bit smaller than your existing unit so you might like to put another toy in to take up the free space!

my suggestion would be :

borrow a KX-155 or KX-165 unit and check that indeed it is the unit that is the problem and not the wiring behind it.

if it is the unit, a trade in or getting a used or new unit is still best option in my opinion. KX-155 or 165 are far from being obsolete.  

the COM part is the same.  I suppose the static come from the COM part

The 165 has a vor loc converter built in and you would have to change indicator or add the converter (KN 72 if I remember correctly). Probably not worth goin that direction.

So test for static with 155 (widely available) or 165 (if you can find one) and if static is still there trade for a 165 unit

The SL30 is an excellent choice.  You save some space and it has nice features that the 165 lacks. If you must swap it I'd consider the SL30.  The 165 is ancient in comparison but not quite as ancient as a dinosaur. I have the 165 also and was thinking of the SL30 but it still works!  So I'll wait till it goes!

Another alternative is to get rid of the KX-165 and install an Icom IC-210.  It is a good radio, and is inexpensive.  Of course you will have to change the wiring and rack.  The Icom offers VHF communicaions only, no VOR navigation capability.  It has a nice, large-digit display LCD screen so we, er, more mature pilots can see it easily, too.

Quote: jerry-N5911Q

Another alternative is to get rid of the KX-165 and install an Icom IC-210.  It is a good radio, and is inexpensive.  Of course you will have to change the wiring and rack.  The Icom offers VHF communicaions only, no VOR navigation capability.  It has a nice, large-digit display LCD screen so we, er, more mature pilots can see it easily, too.

Quote: OR75

my suggestion would be :

borrow a KX-155 or KX-165 unit and check that indeed it is the unit that is the problem and not the wiring behind it.

if it is the unit, a trade in or getting a used or new unit is still best option in my opinion. KX-155 or 165 are far from being obsolete.  

• 2 weeks later...

Quote: Dwight

I'd bet that the problem is the audio panel - if it's a KMA 24.  Similar problem last year resulted in replacing the KMA 24 (and separate intercom) with a PS Engr. 7000B in my '82J.  No more problems.