Organizer?

Magnum

Hello,

I am looking for a solution to organize charts, approach plates and the Ipad in the cockpit. I already have two pockets on the back of each seat (when I did my upholstery I told the shop to take out the ash tray and put another pocket there instead), but in flight I can only use the pockets on the copilot side. It is not very convenient, especially if this seat farther back than mine.

What I'd like is a organizer like on this page: https://www.saircorp.com/home.php Unfortunately there isn't enough space between the seats.

So what do you use to organize your Mooney cockpit?

I just keep blank paper on my kneeboard [8½ x 11, folded in half = kneeboard size; I'm right-handed, so it goes crease to the right and doesn't fold open] on top of my custom-made-by-myself checklist booklet, and let the sectional/enroute lay on top of that. The paper & checklists are clipped to the kneeboard for reference and notes [clearances, frequency changes, preflight weather notes, etc]. I have a small yoke clip to put pdf printouts of approach plates and/or AOPA kneeboard format printouts of airport information. The Flight Guide lives on the floor, standing up between the seats and will support a water bottle in front of it. Folded next-use charts are to the left between my leg and the side panel. Once I fly off of a chart, it either goes between the seats or behind them, as I won't need it until another day, and I refold it properly after landing. The complete approach plate book lives sideways on the floor on top of the gear indicator window, where it's easy to slide aside a couple inches for verification.

In my one in-flight emergency, everything but the kneeboard [foggles, sectional, plates, enroute, and everything else I was holding/touching] went over my right shoulder and I dealt with it on the ground. Nothing like a complete electrical failure at the IAP over the VOR on a VOR-A to get your attention and make you concentrate, especially when it's two minutes after ATC says "lost radar contact. Call us back this frequency after the miss."

How much stuff are you trying to organize? And no, I'm not sure where my wife keeps her water bottle. Seems like they are often both between the seats. Yes, they sometimes roll around, but with the green book there, they aren't going far and are easy to reach.

I have removed the right-rear seat since I can't imagine a situation where I'll be carrying four people in the J. So I have that back platform upon which rests my flight bag, and map atlases I need, etc. I can reach around and grab them as needed.  The iPad sits back there too, unless it's needed, at which point it goes either on my lap or on the passenger seat (or passenger's lap, if so equipped!).