Carbon Monoxide Detector

ncdmtb

Is this group buy still on?

There did not seem to be any interest in a group buy.  I was only contacted by two people.  --So, the group by is off.  Too bad, because a CO detector is a life saver.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea when not in use, to put the (electronic) detector into an airtight container/bag so it doesn't "pickup" gases that may reduce sensor life. I ordered one from Aeromedix (the Pocket CO 300), around $124 including S/H.

I don't know about this particular unit, but I have had a CO Guardian which started giving false alarms after a few years. I replaced it and a few years later it did it again. It appears the sensor in them have a finite life, probably involved with exposure to whatever gasses they detect. I would think that sealing them in a airtight container when not flying ought to prolong their life, but don't have any actual knowledge.

Plastic bags are good for keeping dust off and water off...

But they are susceptible to moisture and gas penetration over time at the molecular level....

(1) Imagine how good the sensor would be if it were accidentally left in its bag?

If you are good with check lists. Put this on your pre-flight list...

(2) imagine how good your plastic bag is...

Most plastic bags are not designed to be gas barriers. They are unable to keep small molecules like CO out. Even soda bottles have difficulty keeping O2 out while keeping CO2 in....

(3) The zipper style bag is convenient but terrible for keeping things in or out.

(4) So if you want to use a plastic bag....

Consider a metalized nylon (similar to helium balloons) and heat seal it closed each time.

Putting it in an ordinary bag with a zipper may extend its life by a couple of months, but not worth the risk of accidentally leaving it bagged up when you need it.

It would help to know what makes the sensor go stale. It could be O2, not just CO.

It may help to ask the device manufacturer that question.

I was trained as a barrier plastics guy once....

Best regards,

-a-