SkyRadar DX

Resanborn

Anyone have any experience with SkyRadar D2 with WingX. Has this combination worked well for you.

I am interested in the new SkyRadar DX. I would like to feed AHRS and weather and traffic to yoke mounted Ipad running WingX and IPhone running Navion on my glare shield. Any info would be helpful.

That is the exact combination I use (even with AHRS).  It has been rock solid for me.  I only wish I had ADS-B out, so I could get all the traffic.  It's been great getting weather in the cockpit.  I used to have both ForeFlight and Wing X, but I let the ForeFlight expire.  The AHRS is more of a toy/gadget, but it does work as advertised.

• Like 1

Right where it should be: front and center.

That is the exact combination I use (even with AHRS).  It has been rock solid for me.  I only wish I had ADS-B out, so I could get all the traffic.  It's been great getting weather in the cockpit.  I used to have both ForeFlight and Wing X, but I let the ForeFlight expire.  The AHRS is more of a toy/gadget, but it does work as advertised.

I use the standard antennas.  The unit itself is in the "hatbox" area and the gps is suctioned to the rear-passenger window.  I have never had problems with gps signal since I started using the Skyradar supplied gps, whereas I did when I used the GNS 5870 made for the iPad.  XM weather is slightly higher resolution and you do not get satellite imagery, echo tops or lightning information. You do get radar, METARs, TAFs, TFRs, SIGMETs, AIRMETs and Pilot Reports.

I have used the SkyRadar S1 for a few years with Wing-X.  It works very well. Ocassionally I will lose the ADS-B signal but the outage is usually only for a minute or so.  I usually have it on the dash but am thinking of mounting it under the seat and use a remote antenna attached to a side window.  That said, take a look at the Skyguard receivers which look almost identical to the SkyRadar receivers, have great reviews, and are a little less expensive.

I'm trying the SkyGuard ADSB In/Out this weekend using Wings X. I've left the XM with the 696 in the plane to check out the comparison between the XM and SG unit. Just getting the apps loaded tonight. I've been using 696 with Zaon and XM. We will soon see. Should have a good comparison by the end of the weekend. 

I will be anxious to hear your results using the SkyGuard ADSB in/out using WingX. The SkyRadar DX is on sale for 650 dollars for GPS ADBS and AHRS. I plan on up grading my GTX330 to ES. I think this will be the cheapest way to meet Next Gen mandate and get full weather and traffic. I have been using the 696 for weather (XM) and traffic as well. The 696 is a great unit but I have to say the geo referenced approach plates on WingX beat the 696 by a long way specifically if ATC gives you direct to to an IAP fix two taps and you have the heading.

I have a question about the SkyGuard ADSB in/out unit that you are looking at. I am wondering how this unit will meet the 2020 mandate ? Specifically what TSO has it received. I know that I have to have an approved WAAS GPS to feed info to my mode S transponder in order to meet the 2020 mandate. I am impatiently wanting for final approval Avidyne IDF 540 for that part.

• Like 1

I know this was a topic prior. They are still trying to get all the approvals. The FAA knows that they are working on it and have allowed them some latitude in getting it certified. As long as they continue toward the effort the FAA is allowing them to continue. I have a GTN 750 and could have gone with GDL 88, but for the difference in the money I'll wait and see what other options are available by 2020. So far it's been pretty cool watching the aircraft come across the screen from inside the house in my recliner..LOL

• 1 month later...

HopePilot thank you for your input. I put my order in for the SkyRagar DX. I just found out that my avidyne IDF 540 that I have been patiently waiting for three years will not be able to act as a position source for my GTX 330 even if upgraded to ES. So plan now is to sell GTX 330 and install Trig TT 31 mode S transponder ADSB out when the Avidyne IDF 540 is released some time 3rd Quarter this year? Then I will have full weather and traffic on a Ipad mini on my yoke.

HopePilot thank you for your input. I put my order in for the SkyRagar DX. I just found out that my avidyne IDF 540 that I have been patiently waiting for three years will not be able to act as a position source for my GTX 330 even if upgraded to ES. So plan now is to sell GTX 330 and install Trig TT 31 mode S transponder ADSB out when the Avidyne IDF 540 is released some time 3rd Quarter this year? Then I will have full weather and traffic on a Ipad mini on my yoke.

This is interesting info since many that have the GNS 530W were thinking of direct replacement with the IFD-540. Wasn't the IFD-540 supposed to be a direct replacement for the GNS 530W? Consider a used 530W for half the price of the IFD-540. It is available now, TSO'd and compatible with your GTX 330ES for ADS-B.

José 

Jose

Yes I have thought about the 530w but I put up 8 amus not expecting it would take three years to get certified. It is especially aggravating because the previous two years I was waiting for the King 770 to come to market. Yes you are correct IDF 540 is was billed as a direct replacement for the 530w so I mistakenly assumed it would be compatible with The GTX 330.

RS

If you don't get cellular you also don't get internal gps. The internal gps on my mini has never lost lock. I also suggest the max memory since it is not upgradable. I have 128 gig with 87 gig still free. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Resanborn,

I got my IPad strictly to have plates. I had/have no plans for anything else to put on it. I got a 32 gig and it appears to be far more than enough. As I understand it, if you use Foreflight, a complete US download is about 8 gig. But if you use their system which lets you download charts before they are current. It then stores them until they are current, make them available and dumps the old ones. So there would be a need for about 16. Even at that 32 would be overkill. If you want to put movies, etc. on it, all bets are off.

TWinter

I am interested in your comparison between SkyGuard ADSB in/out and XM on your 696. XM on yoke mounted 696 is what I currently have. I like the XM weather- Music but I find the approach plates very difficult to read compared to plates on the Mini. Also with WingX you can easily add any waypoint on the approach with just two taps Garmin is really missing the mark on this kind of situational awareness ! I still really like my 696 except for the above mentioned short comings. I am hoping the ADSB weather will be more than adequate for my IFR missions. I am pretty conservation in my use of weather information.

RS