IPAD on order

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a great video made by the founder of ForeFlight himself, showing the iPad GPS capabilities in flight in a SR22 up to 11,500 feet. The version of ForeFlight software being shown is beta so we can't get it yet, and some of it may never be available. But it confirms what I've expected all along...ForeFlight really is working to make the iPad a great aviation tool, and the GPS works acceptably well as a situational awareness system.

http://blog.foreflight.com/2010/05/27/ipad-3g-flight-test-and-first-impressions/

I just downloaded the latest update to ForeFlight, v3.5, and it has much improved routing features including a quasi-moving map capability with route overlay.  This is the software that appeared in their video demo from a week or two ago. Against any of the maps, it will display GPS altitude, track, and GPS signal error as well as groundspeed, and it shows an airplane pointing in the correct direction of flight. I picked it up AFTER an evening excursion flight last night, so I had to go test it out by walking around the neighborhood. I discovered that when going at a brisk pace, I can make between 2 and 3 knots!

Quote: Jeff_S

I just downloaded the latest update to ForeFlight, v3.5, and it has much improved routing features including a quasi-moving map capability with route overlay.  This is the software that appeared in their video demo from a week or two ago. Against any of the maps, it will display GPS altitude, track, and GPS signal error as well as groundspeed, and it shows an airplane pointing in the correct direction of flight. I picked it up AFTER an evening excursion flight last night, so I had to go test it out by walking around the neighborhood. I discovered that when going at a brisk pace, I can make between 2 and 3 knots!

I've now had an opportunity to test out the iPad/ForeFlight combo on a couple of 7 hour flights involving some relatively high workload flying (IMC, night, etc.) and must say I am very pleased. I used it as my exclusive source of VFR charts, IFR low level charts, and approach plates, and also ended up using it for airport info as the information is just so much easier to access than through my Garmins. I had a couple of minor problems with ForeFlight crashing, but because the app comes right back up at the press of a button, it was not really an issue. Battery life is superb, and the iPad screen was readable in all light conditions including at night.

The only significant shortcoming I uncovered was this: The low level IFR map may occasionally lack certain info where the source maps have been stitched together. The specific problem I experienced was that my clearance included an airway that had a bend in the middle defined by an intersection. On ForeFlight, I could only see the first four letters of the intersection name; the fifth letter had been lost by whatever process is employed in stitching the source maps together. Thankfully, it was the last letter and not the first, which allowed me to input the first four letters into my Garmin and then scroll through the options, checking lat/lon coordinates and discerning which of the available intersections was the correct one. So, for now, I will keep my good old paper charts available for backup.

M

I  have used the ForeFlight program on my i touch on a recent ifr trip, It is a awesome program, I have a i pad on order for the program and with all the latest updates and the designers are on there way to making this a must have product. The i pad will make this program even stronger. As  a result, I have a brand new (3 months) old Flight Cheatta FL150 GPS unit a $995 cost for $800  if anyone is interested.

The iPad is not appropriate in the cockpit for a couple reasons.  It is very slow for weather way too slow compared to XM datalink. And it is too too BIG!!!! Where do you put this thing!!  As a moving map it is just barely average.   It is very good for GROUND FLIGHT PLANNING.   It is also good for web browsing, email etc.  I don't browse the web when I'm flying!!  For cockpit use it is a good plate reader but there are other ways to access plates in flight better than the iPAD.  Of course this is just my opinion!!

I don't think anyone considers it to be a replacement for XM weather because the only data source right now is 3g which is not only too slow but for some of us that fly in the teens it doesn't get service.  However, right now I get my approach plates and charts on my 696 and pay Garmin way too much every year for the updates.  I plan to use the ipad for plates and charts and the 696 for in flight terrain, taxi, backup gps and weather.

Roger:

Relax. You seem to be wound pretty tight. I'd guess you were calling Microsoft the evil empire a few years back, and probably spelling it with a $. Just because a company is successful and leads a market doesn't mean you have to hate them.

Quote: rob

Roger:

Relax. You seem to be wound pretty tight. I'd guess you were calling Microsoft the evil empire a few years back, and probably spelling it with a $. Just because a company is successful and leads a market doesn't mean you have to hate them.

I flew all the way from Atlanta to Destin with the iPad on and following my route in ForeFlight. The 3.5 version of software has the new nav tracking so you can actually see altitude, ground speed, ground track and GPS error. It worked like a charm.  And of course at 8000' I was NOT in 3G coverage area so the GPS was working fine all by itself.

No, this is not the "Jesus EFB" that AvWeb poked some fun at in their video, and of course without 3G coverage at altitude it won't replace XM WX. But as a secondary info source, and a way to see your plane and track on both IFR and Sectional maps, it is the best thing I've seen.

And to Roger's points, I don't think I would say that Apple is being anti-competitive in the classic sense. They aren't trying to keep other vendors down to their own profit. What they ARE doing is trying to control the user experience recognizing that the vast majority of folks don't want to have to wade through DLLs and Services and all the other crapola that I see our IT guys having to wade through. Apple made a business decision to go a different direction. You can like it, or not, but it's not evil or anticompetitive.

I'm NOT getting the whole I-Pad ra ra.  I'll just keep getting my weather via my panel mounted 496 with terrain and nav/com info...and music for $50/month.  That's 2.5+ years subscription for buy in on an I-pad.  I'm a PC NOT a Mac.  Those that really like to pay as you go with books, music etc...go crazy with your I-pads.  I have an I-pod in my car that I can control through the radio...nice, but having a big i-pad in a cockpit doesn't strike me as user friendly...but I'm VFR and NOT bringing up plates.  I look forward to the competition in avionics (Garmin current domination) and portable tablets/laptops (MAC vs. MicroSoft)...Competition is good and as one that doesn't like subscriptions and being nickel and dimed I hope that Garmin gets some REAL competition on weather/XM.  Maybe i just need some readers to make my 496 seem I-padriffic?  Don't get to upset with me...I'm a technology watcher and second/third gen jumper.  Enjoy your I-pads...

Scott

Quote: Jeff_S

I flew all the way from Atlanta to Destin with the iPad on and following my route in ForeFlight. The 3.5 version of software has the new nav tracking so you can actually see altitude, ground speed, ground track and GPS error. It worked like a charm.  And of course at 8000' I was NOT in 3G coverage area so the GPS was working fine all by itself.

No, this is not the "Jesus EFB" that AvWeb poked some fun at in their video, and of course without 3G coverage at altitude it won't replace XM WX. But as a secondary info source, and a way to see your plane and track on both IFR and Sectional maps, it is the best thing I've seen.

Please forgive my non techie thick headedness but I am still a little confused on which iPad (3g or not) would fit me best. The main reason (aviation wise) I am wanting it is for the approach plates and geo referencing on the sectionals and IFR charts. I know 3g is recommended by some but than I read Jeff S saying the GPS worked fine w/o the 3g. Thanks in advance for any help. Looking at buying in the next day or so and am looking forward to using it for flight as well as numerous other daily mundane activities.