Gust Lock / Control Lock Recommendation

SkyBound

I'm using two motorcycle tie down straps. One goes on like Byron and others between the two yokes and the other goes from the pilot's yoke to the tubular frame down by the rudder peddles. The second one is kind of a pain to get on, but it does keep the elevator from bouncing up and down in the wind and it keeps it in the down position. Cheap and effective, but a bit of a pain to install the second strap. My plane spends 90+ percent of the time in a hangar, so I rarely have to use the straps.

Mooney didn't supply one because thay didn't think it needed one. I've never used one and naver had any dammage because of it. My plane has seen plenty of weather sitting on the ground. Including being torm loose from chains traveling 200 yards across the ramp and hitting a king air during a T storm in Tucson. The only dammage was a small dent in the elevator where it hit the king air's propeller. I didn't see any of this, when I got back to the airport the plane was back in its parking spot looking just fine, but all the ramp rats were all excited telling me about how they watched it make its journey across the ramp after unbebding the hooks on both chains. They did show me the chains. Damn strong airplane!

Was the AD on the aileron Control links from 1998 to address cracking ostensibly caused by the wind.

My understanding was it had to do with high time Mooneys operated by a flight school where they were teaching the students to bang the controls to max deflection during preflight. 

Any body use the seat belts? I move the seats forward and run the lap belt through the inboard corner of the on-side yoke. If done to each yoke it holds the ailerons and elevator. Cheap and always available. Not sure it will work with every configuration.

Put me in the bungee cord camp. Normally I just bungee the yokes together; if weather is moving in, I'll add a bungee from the copilot yoke to the seat-sliding bar. When tornadoes were forecast at SNF, I used two bungees for each, in case I either needed more strength or if one broke. No problem when the tornado passed less than one-half mile away, from directly behind.