Which Ipad??

nels

I really have no excuse these days for being, er, momentarily disoriented.. The Garmin 530 panel mount is still spectacularly accurate, and has all the SIDS and STARS built in; the 'old' iPad3 with built-in GPS and any of the favorite EFBs keep up with the IFR-certified box precisely. The iPads both hitch seamlessly to the Dual170B's WAAS GPS for even more back-up. As soon as this mucky wet and wild WX clears out, I look forward to going out to see if the Mini in flight is worth all the hype. It will be good to find that the smaller footprint works well.

I tried to download EFB software on my son's new Nexus 7, but couldn't get it to run without crashing. It IS a lovely size, fits nicely in his pocket, has a bright and razor-sharp screen, but I'm not impressed with any of the Android EFB offerings yet. I do use Garmin on my Note II android phone, and though not as elegant as the iPad version, would do the job adequately.

"I tried to download EFB software on my son's new Nexus 7, but couldn't get it to run without crashing. It IS a lovely size, fits nicely in his pocket, has a bright and razor-sharp screen, but I'm not impressed with any of the Android EFB offerings yet. I do use Garmin on my Note II android phone, and though not as elegant as the iPad version, would do the job adequately."

I just returned from my first trip using the Nexus 7 2013.  I used Avare, Naviator and Garmin Pilot to test all three.  All worked flawlessly and each has some nice features.  No problems at all with the GPS reception, most of the time was twelve satellites or better.  I mounted the tablet on the yoke with a RAM mount.   I bought the 32 gb Nexus for $160 before Christmas, hard to beat the price for a tablet with GPS and great screen.  Avare is open source and free or donation, Naviator is only about $35 per year and GP is currently $75.  For the charts they replaced it is a bargain.  I could access Sectionals, Low Level IFR, Airport Information and Plates from all the  programs.  Avare has even implemented a form of displaying aircraft movement on the airport diagrams (an extra cost for most programs).  While I like the Apple iPad it is hard to justify the Apple Tax at $545 for the same configuration of an iPad Mini, I could buy three of the Nexus 7's for the same price as a Mini with GPS.   

I flew with the large iPad and found it too cumbersome. My wife gave me an iPad mini w/retina for Christmas. It is great. I already flew a few times with it, using it for VFR charts ( Jeppesen Mobile FD). Tomorrow I plan to take an IFR trip and will give it a shot with enroute charts and plates (Rocket route).

It is great to read and nice and small.