Lycoming Injectors

AndyFromCB

As some of you know, I had my engine overhauled about 50hours ago. My #1 would run too hot in the climb forcing me to climb at about 130knots to keep it under 420CHT. My #5 run the coolest, both CHT and EGT. At the first oil change, I swapped #1 and #5 injectors, and it improved the situation considerably. Now #5 runs the leanest but also stays under 420CHT in prolonged climb at 105knots. Seems to me the cooling airflow is better over #5 than #1.

So here is my question, all the rest of my cylinders are within a 40 or so degree range EGT, 15 or so degrees CHT. It's now clear that there is a single injector that is "different" or out of tolerance from the rest of them. I read on GAMIs website that Lycoming injectors are generally all over the place. Should I buy GAMIs or is there some other way of simply swapping that one single injector? They were replaced at overhaul and tossed so I don't have any of the older ones to play with.

Is there something that can be adjusted in the fuel spider? Just wondering before I bug my mechanic.

Andy

I think Don Kay threw a few grand into that one, and concluded the Bravo likes gas and wont run LOP

The concern here is not running LOP but keeping the heads under 400 on climb out and under 380 in cruise. They all do now with swapping of the injectors so it proves that one of them runs lean but it's still annoying to know that the engine could run better. Bravo is not as much of a gas hog as many point out if you're willing to slow down. Went up to loiter yesterday because I haven't flown in a month because of a cold/flu/work. 24/2300, about 11.5GPH, about 150knots at 6000, density altitude closer to 9000, peak TIT of about 1610. Not as good as a J, but J doesn't do 800fpm thru 18,000 either.

My usual cruise is between 175 and 185 depending on how high I want to go on 15.5 gph so almost same numbers as Ovation. Now, going much faster than that is going to cost another 6gph because that's what it takes to hit the magic 200knots at 18,000 and keep the CHT and TIT reasonable at 32/2400. The book numbers seem to have arrived at by a drunken marketing department.

Fuel flow is fine, depending on temperatures, anywhere between 30 and 31 gallons per hour.

What's your TIT during takeoff and initial climb? EGTs?

Talk to an expert who sets up fuel on a regular basis (talk to an A&P and check what Lycoming has to say), but that might be just a touch low. I'm running about 26 gph in my 220 hp TSIO-360.