Airports to avoid

David Mazer

Per the BCT airport website, http://www.bocaairpo...rportinfo.shtml, there is no landing fee. Maybe the FBO has a minimum fee for using their ramp space? I have seen this as several Class C airports in SoCal (SNA and SNA for example). If you don't park your plane, you don't have to pay anything. Typically waived with a minimum fuel purchase. If you were charged an actual "landing fee" you should contest it since the airport advertises that there is none.

This may seem like semantics, but it makes a difference as you can still use the airport for practice landings and approaches. Some of these big FBO's will still let you pick up and drop off without the charges.

-dan

EDIT: after back-reading, I see this should have been under the KBCT topic that preceded this one.

CLT has a fee assessed by the FBO if you use their ramp. No fee if you fly into the Carolinas Aviation Museum (call on telephone first is a must). You can park on their ramp and then visit the museum (fee).

For Charlotte area use EQY (Monroe, NC (Charlotte Monroe Executive) or JQF (Concord). Nice folks at both places or come to 8A6 (Wilgrove) where I'm based.

RDU has a fee assessed by the FBO as well. Usually waived with 10gal fuel purchase. Last time there, I worked for the University and told them I was there on buisness and they did not charge me. They also waived it once before when I ordered 2 large PIZZAs to be delivered for lunch (was on another business trip before the University).

Bill

Per the BCT airport website, http://www.bocaairpo...rportinfo.shtml, there is no landing fee. Maybe the FBO has a minimum fee for using their ramp space? I have seen this as several Class C airports in SoCal (SNA and SNA for example). If you don't park your plane, you don't have to pay anything. Typically waived with a minimum fuel purchase. If you were charged an actual "landing fee" you should contest it since the airport advertises that there is none.

This may seem like semantics, but it makes a difference as you can still use the airport for practice landings and approaches. Some of these big FBO's will still let you pick up and drop off without the charges.

-dan

EDIT: after back-reading, I see this should have been under the KBCT topic that preceded this one.

We were at BCT last Christmas. They did indeed have a ramp fee and it was waived with a minimum fuel purchase. You incur the ramp fee as soon as you pull up to the ramp, they have a second tie down fee if you stay overnight. They are a public use airport and I don't think they have a landing fee, though I am not sure how accomadating the tower would be to touch and goes. I can't remember the dollar value of the ramp fee but what I do remember was the fuel price was so steep when we calculated the cost of flying to another airport to refuel + the ramp fee it was cheaper than paying the premium on the fuel. They are also not very smaller-than-corporate jet friendly. I have never seen such a sea of expensive corporate jets in my life than BCT at Christmas! This is sad to me, considering a decade ago BCT is where I learned to fly and they gave me a scholarship, at the time, it was very small plane friendly. We had a not great experience there over Christmas, but to give them credit, the head of the FBO called me personally after hearing about my experience and tried to make things right, and that helped.

Avoid:

- CYTZ (Toronto Island / Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, ON): $25 ramp fee if not over night, otherwise $35/night, no discount with fuel purchase ($1.90/L + HST). Line service was helpful, but customer service not so much (mixed up fuel orders and over-fueled aircraft, requiring offloading fuel for weight and balance and didn't even apologize). Would recommend CYKZ (Buttonville) instead.

- KOPL (Opelousas, LA): Saying the runways are in "fair" condition is pretty generous (the grass next to it may be a better option). Also, no taxiway lights or reflectors... taxiing off at night is somewhat interesting.

-Andrew

I have never seen such a sea of expensive corporate jets in my life than BCT at Christmas!

This is my home base and your assessments are correct. It is a very kerosene centric airport although it is home to a lot of small planes. Avgas is so expensive that we have to fly forty miles away to get a fair price.

The tower crew are extremely friendly and accommodating and have no problems accepting touch and go's. Most of the time there's not much traffic and I think they like the diversion as it gives them something to do.

I landed at BCT a few years ago, 2009, and since I was to be staying for a week for a conference, I spoke with one of the managers in advance on the phone of the FBO and arranged for a fuel discount and lowered parking rate. The lady I spoke with was very understanding and happy to work with me. It was still relatively expensive but many of the fees that drive away piston singles were dropped. I'll look it up but I think it was Boca Aviation that worked with me.

I tend to call in advance before I head somewhere for an overnight stay or if I'm worried about handling charges or fees. For instance, I went to Linden in NJ despite warnings as I had a wedding in NYC, and it made sense for me to go there. Their line people were very friendly, but the policies and charges I understand are just not simple and make it difficult for business. I simply paid for one night of parking and the landing/airport fee and departed without paying for fuel.

So, BCT, still expensive but very good experience in 2009. LDJ - Nice line people, odd fueling rules, bad tie down ropes, easy access to the city for the price.

-Seth

I just spent two nights in Palm Beach and I tried BCT Signature. The ramp fee was $30 (waived with 10 gals @ $7.10/gal) and overnight parking was $29/night. A little pricey but they found me a National rental car ($57/day) and were VERY accomodating.

Next time I am going to go to F45, North Palm Beach County airport, uncontrolled, has instrument approaches (ILS 9) and a great FBO.