Scary Landing

bnicolette

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: HopePilot

Those of you having issues with back pressure might want to considered adding a bit more nose up trim, and I mean just a little more, when you put down the flaps.  I'm talking about just a smidge more than you think you need to counter the nose down action that occrurs when you add flaps. Even if it seems you have a touch more than you want (i.e. it requires you to add a touch of forward pressure against the yoke, just before flair), you will find that it will help you from setting the nose down.  Caution:  Too much nose up trim is also bad and will cause you to sink, float, etc.  Hope that helps.

Full flaps in a C is just about full up trim as well.

I found setting full flaps, followed by full up trim and adjusting power was the way to go.  My instructor back in the day gave me the guidance..."you can't get enough up trim in a Mooney"

-a-

Scott, in an E you might need more nose up trim then I do in my J.  When I flew a C model I used all the nose up trim I had.  That said, an example of this principle is what would happen if you were slow, and on final, then pull back on the yoke to get on glideslope, instead of using throttle.  This can cause you to climb at first and then sink.  The initial climb causes people to think that the plane is doing what they wanted, then they sink.  Naturally, that is dependent on airspeed, etc., and I'm only talking about those of us who cross the numbers at a reasonable speed.  If you are crossing the numbers at 90knots, which I know doesn't apply to you, you would climb and keep climbing until you had used your energy.  

Quote: HopePilot

Scott, in an E you might need more nose up trim then I do in my J.  When I flew a C model I used all the nose up trim I had.  That said, an example of this principle is what would happen if you were slow, and on final, then pull back on the yoke to get on glideslope, instead of using throttle.  This can cause you to climb at first and then sink.  The initial climb causes people to think that the plane is doing what they wanted, then they sink.  Naturally, that is dependent on airspeed, etc., and I'm only talking about those of us who cross the numbers at a reasonable speed.  If you are crossing the numbers at 90knots, which I know doesn't apply to you, you would climb and keep climbing until you had used your energy.  

Here's a tip on trimming: Sometime after you get your final flap setting in, and you think you're trimmed, let go of the yoke for a second and watch to see if the airplane pitches up or down on its own. With Mooneys, substantial nose-up trim is required as you deploy more flaps. Get the trim right and the round out/flare are pretty easy.

Quote: Jeff_S

You know, while we're on the topic of less-than-perfect landings, let me open up to the group that lately I've had some real stinkers, and I seem to have gotten into a pattern that maybe somebody can break me of. When I first transitioned from the Warrior, my problem was that I was landing too flat...never nose-wheel first, but certainly three point landings. So I've consciously tried to keep the nose up higher to land mains first. Only now, when the mains touch down, often I'll get a sudden drop of the nose and a bit of a bounce on the front tire. Just one bounce, and never enough to suggest a go-around, but still...very unseemly. And at PDK, there's ALWAYS somebody watching you!

So, perhaps I'm keeping the nose up too high? Or subconsciously releasing back pressure too early when the mains hit? I need to just go out and practice a few, surely, but I'm open to suggestions. I need to get that "greaser" feeling back in my hands!