Written instrument test question.

I bought the Gleim Instrument package last year, but things got sidetracked when I had to install bladders.  Anyway, I've gotten back on the saddle and started putting hours in with a CFII.  I know the FAA introduced a new bank of test questions.  I've started reading the material and looking at old test questions.  My booklet is a 2011 edition.  Would it help to order the 2012 edition?  Anybody got any tips for the new format?

As I recall, if your book is not tooo old, Gleim can provide the delta between old and new on line.  It is probably worth checking with them.  I recently did my CFII, I noticed that the questions are changing a little faster than the publishers can keep up.  That said, if you understand the concept behind the questions, then you can adapt and do well on the written.  FAA is trying to prevent folks from just memorizing the answers as happened in the past.

Quote: rbridges

I bought the Gleim Instrument package last year, but things got sidetracked when I had to install bladders.  Anyway, I've gotten back on the saddle and started putting hours in with a CFII.  I know the FAA introduced a new bank of test questions.  I've started reading the material and looking at old test questions.  My booklet is a 2011 edition.  Would it help to order the 2012 edition?  Anybody got any tips for the new format?

Quote: jeckford

I just did my Instrument rating in May.  I have the same complicating issues and it would have taken me years to do my training trying to fly an hour here and there.

For me it worked out really well to take a week vacation and do my instrument instruction and checkride in 7 days with Gatts in KS.  Highly recommend them.  I really enjoyed my week and felt very prepared for my checkride.  I used the King course and took the written a few weeks before I went to KS.

Gatts was very professional and they have a flat fee so there are no surprises when you are done. 

Quote: flyboy0681

My CFI is great and I wouldn't use anybody else. And man, does he have a lot of patience!

I would love to immerse myself and take a week off to do it, but I can't leave my clients hanging for that period of time.

I would get the 2012 book.  The FAA has been changing questions on the various tests, but it has varied alot from test to test, and in a short period of time.  On the Fundamentals of Instruction, for example, there were alot of new questions, and the names of some established concepts had been changed.  This caught quite a few people off guard, with some bad test results. 

If you have the 2011 book, you can access the Gleim website and get updates to that book, but those updates are only through the end of 2011.  When they publish a new book they stop doing updates for the older books.  So to take the FOI as an example, there would be a bundle of questions that you would not see if you studied from the 2011.  Moreover, those questions are on new subject matter that the FAA was not previously testing, so there would be whole areas of the test you would take today, that would not be covered in the Gleim 2011 book.

Don't know if that has happened with the instrument exam, but it is happening across the board so I would not just trust that the 2011 book will do the job.

I am studying for the FOI right now, I would estimate that about 20% of the outline is completely different from 2011 to 2012.

Gleim and the other vendors are doing their best to keep up, and there were some meetings with the FAA and the FAA agreed to consult on new changes, but it has been very unpredictable.  I took the Commercial a couple of months ago and the Gleim 2012 book was mostly right on (I got a 100), and there were not alot of changes between the 2011 book and the 2012 book.  The FOI is a different animal, a ton of changes.  Don't know what has happened to the written.

Quote: jlunseth

I would get the 2012 book.  The FAA has been changing questions on the various tests, but it has varied alot from test to test, and in a short period of time.  On the Fundamentals of Instruction, for example, there were alot of new questions, and the names of some established concepts had been changed.  This caught quite a few people off guard, with some bad test results. 

If you have the 2011 book, you can access the Gleim website and get updates to that book, but those updates are only through the end of 2011.  When they publish a new book they stop doing updates for the older books.  So to take the FOI as an example, there would be a bundle of questions that you would not see if you studied from the 2011.  Moreover, those questions are on new subject matter that the FAA was not previously testing, so there would be whole areas of the test you would take today, that would not be covered in the Gleim 2011 book.

Don't know if that has happened with the instrument exam, but it is happening across the board so I would not just trust that the 2011 book will do the job.

I am studying for the FOI right now, I would estimate that about 20% of the outline is completely different from 2011 to 2012.

Gleim and the other vendors are doing their best to keep up, and there were some meetings with the FAA and the FAA agreed to consult on new changes, but it has been very unpredictable.  I took the Commercial a couple of months ago and the Gleim 2012 book was mostly right on (I got a 100), and there were not alot of changes between the 2011 book and the 2012 book.  The FOI is a different animal, a ton of changes.  Don't know what has happened to the written.

I have the 2011 study materials for the commercial exam and am finally getting back to studying.  I'm glad the 2011 and 2012 were not that different.  If anyone gets any updates for the commerical exam, please let me know.

Take care,

-Seth

Quote: jeckford

For me it worked out really well to take a week vacation and do my instrument instruction and checkride in 7 days with Gatts in KS.  Highly recommend them.  I really enjoyed my week and felt very prepared for my checkride.  I used the King course and took the written a few weeks before I went to KS.

Gatts was very professional and they have a flat fee so there are no surprises when you are done. 

I found this program pretty good.  I added it in addition to other training methods but the ability to zero in on different areas and test specifically helped a lot (weather, Nav, etc).  Supposedly they have all or most of the test bank.  http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/GroundSchool/ifr.asp

With the advent of all of the various technological testing tools I think the FAA should feel the pilots are learning more rather than test being too easy and that people are memorizing.  In order to memorize an answer you just about have to know it inside and out.