B-Kool product announcement Introducing B-Kool. 2.

• 1 month later...

All good!  I received it promptly and finally got to fly with it yesterday... of course right after we had a cool-down in KS!  I only put a few pounds of ice and a bit of water and it worked well.  I've got a trip to TX on Wednesday and it will get a good workout with a full load of ice, and then I'll report back.

To those on the fence, I had been intending to build one of these myself for a couple of years now, but it never made it up my priority list.  The price was just low enough to get me to purchase vs. spending a few hours finding parts and assembling my own.  There is a handy remote control switch too that makes this wonderful to use from the baggage compartment (assuming you have a 12V socket back there).   Go for it!

I saw oneof these devices not sure which but it actually used a small pump an circulated the cool water through a heater core and then passed the air over the core.  This elimnates shoving mosture into the cabin from the ice and would  actually remove mosture.  Of couse at 12k feet the extra humidity would be welcome.

What's wrong with a little bit of sweat? It helps you loose weight. You can also just leave the door open and get ventilated by the big fan up front when on the ground. In the summer flying above 6,000 feet will give you air conditioning temps in the cabin. Not to undermine the B-Kool product but when you travel with family you carry a lot stuff that there may not be room for the B-Kool. But if being cool is essential to you get it.

José

Quote: Piloto

What's wrong with a little bit of sweat? It helps you loose weight. You can also just leave the door open and get ventilated by the big fan up front when on the ground. In the summer flying above 6,000 feet will give you air conditioning temps in the cabin. Not to undermine the B-Kool product but when you travel with family you carry a lot stuff that there may not be room for the B-Kool. But if being cool is essential to you get it.

José

Rob's experience mirrors my own in KS and trips all directions from here in the 4-6 months of summer.  Even at 9,000 feet the OAT is in the 70s plus the greenhouse effect....makes for an uncomfortable cabin.  Mine will get a good workout tomorrow going to TX on a 3 hr trip, and I expect I'll be using it for any trip where I'm not volumed-out or weight limited.  (Tomorrow is solo)

Quote: KSMooniac

Rob's experience mirrors my own in KS and trips all directions from here in the 4-6 months of summer.  Even at 9,000 feet the OAT is in the 70s plus the greenhouse effect....makes for an uncomfortable cabin.  Mine will get a good workout tomorrow going to TX on a 3 hr trip, and I expect I'll be using it for any trip where I'm not volumed-out or weight limited.  (Tomorrow is solo)

One socket, on ground. B-kool. In the air. Gps, with an occasional turning on of the iPad ( I let mine hibernate in flight and use it for charts). Descent b-kool. Again 

All in fun of course, 

I did install a remote socket in the baggage area of my plane for the b-kool. Use the remote to turn it on and off? It's fused and wired direct to the battery so I can up run the Kooler during furl turns

• 11 months later...

We are pleased to announce B-Kool Version 2.i. This is basically the same internals as our highly successful 2.0 version but cosmetically more enhanced.

Pricing remains the same at $369.00 (Oshkosh special pricing) for the 12v versions and $399.00 for the 24v units.

This new unit is slightly thinner than the older one and slightly taller. This should help when putting it thru the baggage door of the older M20 series planes.

Please contact me direct for the special pricing. Txgroup@aol.com 928-300-4045

post-8924-0-56042200-1375135375_thumb.jp

Nice change!  I think smaller footprint and taller chest is a most welcome change...  

We used it on a long XC from KS to DE, NYC and back last week and it worked great, as expected.  For power I ended up buying a 3-port 12V socket adapter with a 2-prong plug interface on the other end that conveniently matches my Battery MINDer harness that is attached to the battery (with an inline fuse).  For the big trip, I plugged the  B-Kool and GDL 39 into the 3-port 12V adapter in the back of the plane and didn't have to worry about tangling with cords in the cockpit.  It worked great, and the fiance was happy I brought it along despite our high-volume load on this trip (2 bicycles + bags for 5 days).

The remote control is VERY handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Can it be that Florida is cooler than Wisconsin? On my trip up to Hilton Head a few weeks ago I flew at 6.5 and the OAT read 69, which made for an extremely comfy ride.

I had the same temperature experience here in Florida and in Puerto Rico. In Florida air temperature is dominated by the sea breeze coming from the east which is colder than the ground temperature. But inland like in Atlanta the air temperature is dominated by the ground temperature. When there is no breeze the ground hot air temperature rises making the air at altitude warmer than in Florida. You can get your bare foot burn on asphalt in the summer but not on the water.

José