2 Blade Prop Quicker?

Should we have a LOP/ROP debate just to get all of the Mooney controversies in one thread?  Tongue out

I *thought* I would get a bit of a performance boost over my OEM McCauley (square tip, narrow chord) that was used for only the 1977 J before being replaced with the 78+ version that I believe is a good bit better.  I was disappointed to learn that my old prop wasn't all that bad, or the MT isn't much better from the performance standpoint.  My dB measurements were inconclusive (could be the cheapy Radio Shack meter).  The MT does look great, it does offer more ground clearance, it is much lighter, and it much smoother.  The weight reduction was a primary characteristic for me (-12 lbs IIRC) since I want to add a turbo normalizer (+23 lbs).  I believe the MT is optimized for a lower RPM than I would normally choose for moderate altitude LOP cruise, and that is why I'm slower.  When I add the TN, this will be OK since I can run more MP to offset the lower RPM.  

Lycoming is doing themselves no favors charging such a premium and requiring a new prop at the same time for that IO-390 conversion.  I'm still inclined to overhaul my current engine and save money for other upgrades or actually using the plane.

A data point:

I compared the performance charts for the M20S standard configuration to the STC for the McCauley 3 blade conversion with 100 lb gross weight increase. The 3 blade is 5 kts faster in cruise and has slightly greater range and endurance. Climb is 30-50 fpm less and takeoff distance is slightly greater (probably attributable to the GW increase). The 3 blade is about 12 lbs heavier.

Props are expensive, three blades cost more than two. High tech materials cost more than aluminum.  Weight and balance are effected.

The benefits, most often, are too small compared to the price.

If your plane needs a prop is one thing, or you are racing against Becca is another reason....

Overall, a knot costs a lot compared to the benefit...

Improve HP: missile or rocket conversions are nice, increase prop rpm works within proven limits, turbo add-ons work

Decrease drag: cowling, vent, wing roots, gear doors...

What was the budget? 

-a-

Quote: carusoam

Props are expensive, three blades cost more than two. High tech materials cost more than aluminum.  Weight and balance are effected.

The benefits, most often, are too small compared to the price.

If your plane needs a prop is one thing, or you are racing against Becca is another reason....

Overall, a knot costs a lot compared to the benefit...

Improve HP: missile or rocket conversions are nice, increase prop rpm works within proven limits, turbo add-ons work

Decrease drag: cowling, vent, wing roots, gear doors...

What was the budget? 

-a-

Quote: carusoam

Flymu,

Check the HP rating on that aircraft.  Many an eagle has been upgraded from two to three blades, but the HP seems to increase to 310 HP at the same time.

Key words are Screamin' Eagle upgrade.

Best regards,

-a-

When looking at upgrades for my M20C, I started to consider turbo normalization, then Missiles, then found the Ovation. It's a bit of a stretch, but you get a lot of upgrades this way...

Try your best to identify your mission and how long that mission will last.  I think I am on my last plane....

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...

Consumer reports has a few articles about prop shops who "never met a prop that didn;t need overhaul".   We have one in town that does that.  They OH it for a large expense, and then 50 hours later its leaking, and then you have to buy a new one.

Quote: gregwatts

My experience was with a C model. Climbed better and then slowed down in cruise. I had a noticeable increase in vibration. At the time I was told that 3 blade props were cheaper than 2 blade because the jigs were set up for 3 and required a change if I wanted a 2 blade. I disliked the results of the 3 blade so much I sold the plane.

Quote: GeorgePerry

Touché...IMHO low horsepower, (less than 240 hp) Mooney's should run a 2 blade prop.  If the fundamental mission of low horsepower Mooneys is to provide fast, efficient travel then having a 3 blade prop is counter to that mission.  Although 3 blade props climb better (+/- 200 ft/min increase M20J) it reduces cruise speed by a fair amout.  Some reports put the 3 blade as up to 5 knots slower in cruise.  The only exception to this is the MT composite which reportedly only loses a knot or two.  Also 3 blade props are alot heavier and shifts the CG fwd, which also hurts top end speed. 

Higher horsepower (and typically heavier) Mooney's don't seem to suffer the same loss of top end speed and benefit from a 3 bladed prop.  An umodded M20S with a three blade is a good example of this.

Quote: ionel

I agree and echo these remarks! Personally, I find this notion of bolting on three blades somehow adds ramp appeal ridiculous. The Mooney, by definition, has ramp appeal!

And as far as climb, it climbs just fine!

Quote: jetdriven

True, but then that implies that those with the McCauley 3 blade prop have MORE ramp appeal and can climb FASTER than fine Smile while still achieving the same cruise speed and without the recurring gov/hub AD.    Of course we are giving up the equivalent of ~2 gallons of fuel in useful load, but can make up for that with improved engine management.