Thinking of selling N79338

13 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

Would probably come out way ahead (time,money,stress), with a no reserve auction where is as is. I would not want to deal with this plane for another year while throwing stupid money at it only to make a few extra dollars. 

Have to agree with this comment / advice. 
I continue to be shocked at the prices auctions bring for planes. 
just recently there was a 231 being auctioned and the auction closed at 150k if I remember correctly, and that was with a 6% buyers premium. That is crazy when there are literally a dozen better examples of this model for sale right now between 175k and 198k.  Most of these have better avionics, better engine times, more attentive owners and are actively flying. 
Auctions make people do the silliest things…

While an auction is not the ideal way to sell a plane,  in your situation it certainly seems like it may be the best option. 

You can land and refuel on a ferry, pretty sure you can spend the night, even wait a few days for weather etc.

One time flights were what I used to do in the Military to evacuate an unairworthy aircraft to a maintenance facility so I could possibly be confusing the rules between the two, but I don’t think so. Ferry flights in the Military were just repositioning flights is all.

Seems FAA wise it’s a type of special flight permit, they are pretty loose actually, bad weather coming and you’re out of Annual? Get a permit and evacuate. I assume it might be tough to get another to come home though so go to where yiu can get an Annual

https://www.faa.gov/media/29886

Edited by A64Pilot

On 9/15/2024 at 8:13 AM, A64Pilot said:

Seems FAA wise it’s a type of special flight permit, they are pretty loose actually, bad weather coming and you’re out of Annual? Get a permit and evacuate. I assume it might be tough to get another to come home though so go to where yiu can get an Annual

If it were a centralized FAA, then yes. But Special Flight Permits are the domain of the local FSDO. They have an obligation to service their local IAs. Being objective, if I were the FSDO, I would not risk and a/c flying across the country when their are perfectly good IAs on or near the field. Doesn't pass the risk/reward test.

Regardless, it seems the seller has zero time/money to suss any of this out. I do think a fire sale/auction will generate a buyer and get him funds quickly. I'd love a project like that if I were retired.