Insurance just quoted

On 6/29/2024 at 4:15 AM, McMooney said:

100k hull @800 ish hours  came to $2155 yesterday.  getting painful

I have 160K hull @650 hours and paying 2400 just renewed it. The big savings hit me when I crossed over 500 hrs. 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2024 at 8:13 PM, Hank said:

That's a good idea. I've been a happy customer for the past 5-6 years.

PM me with hull value and what you paid please

On 6/29/2024 at 7:15 AM, McMooney said:

100k hull @800 ish hours  came to $2155 yesterday.  getting painful

That’s very close to what I pay, I’m over 10,000 TT, Commercial / Instrument etc, etc. But I’m based on grass and I’ve been told that severely limits companies that will write a policy. I’m 66.

How does being hangers figure into it?

@A64Pilot If I understand your question correctly, you were asking what impact hangaring the plane makes.  My last conversation with Parker, he indicated in my area, it only amounts to a couple of hundred dollars difference for a 100k hull policy versus being tied down outside. That seems wild to me considering how much damage hail can do, but I'm not an actuary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueSky247 said:

@A64Pilot If I understand your question correctly, you were asking what impact hangaring the plane makes.  My last conversation with Parker, he indicated in my area, it only amounts to a couple of hundred dollars difference for a 100k hull policy versus being tied down outside. That seems wild to me considering how much damage hail can do, but I'm not an actuary. 

Yes I was asking that, I’ve never heard if being hangared reduced rates. It would seem it should as aircraft tied down are subjected to greater loss it would seem , even from other aircraft etc.

24 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Yes I was asking that, I’ve never heard if being hangared reduced rates. It would seem it should as aircraft tied down are subjected to greater loss it would seem , even from other aircraft etc.

I agree. It is very possible my figure is the exception as my home field is very small and rural. I have to believe tying down at a busy city field would see a lot higher chance of getting dinged.

57 minutes ago, BlueSky247 said:

I agree. It is very possible my figure is the exception as my home field is very small and rural. I have to believe tying down at a busy city field would see a lot higher chance of getting dinged.

A few weeks ago at Crystal river where we go to eat every Sun Wx permitting of course.

IMG_2760.jpeg

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

Hangar vs tie down. In the south and midwest one word. Hail.

I would venture that the Thunderstorms without hail are quite damaging too. When we lived in West Tx circa 1981 there was a hail storm so bad that it killed several cows.

‘It looked like the end of the Earth, coming from Ga I had never seen a sky like that.

I am early 60’s. $85k hull. Hangered at class C airport. VFR with 950 total time and 700 in make and model. $2800 now. Awaiting renewal. IFR is 25% reduction in premium I am told. Really sobering costs…

Edited by Echo

What is 1 GR?

IFR? I tell people the day they get their PVT start instrument training, the insurence break pays for the training and of course makes you much safer and makes the aircraft a whole lot more usable.

Having said that I don’t fly IFR anymore since retirement.

20 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I'll bet it was tender though . . :)

Step aside Wagyu! Make way for HailYu. :lol:  (Not to be confused with the language that must have been used with whomever hit that poor Cessna.)

It would probably be more useful to state the hull rate, that is what percentage of the value is the premium.  And a separate number for the liability.  My quotes/policies list the two numbers.

I just renewed, switching to Parker.  Hull is 1.124%.  He was able to get me $1 million smooth (no sub limits), but it costs. :)

About 2000 hour, 900 retract, 160 in make/model, hangar, over 3000 foot paved.

42 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

It would probably be more useful to state the hull rate, that is what percentage of the value is the premium.  And a separate number for the liability.  My quotes/policies list the two numbers.

I just renewed, switching to Parker.  Hull is 1.124%.  He was able to get me $1 million smooth (no sub limits), but it costs. :)

About 2000 hour, 900 retract, 160 in make/model, hangar, over 3000 foot paved.

It would probably be more useful for you actually to say the premium. Just saying.

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Why? Comparing the premium for an Acclaim tied down to a C in hangar is not going to tell you anything useful.

Top secret. Got it.  Who owns a C?

13 hours ago, Echo said:

It would probably be more useful for you actually to say the premium. Just saying.

The premium varies by hull value.

So I say my premium is $4000, how does that compare to yours????  If on a late Acclaim Ultra, that is super.  On a C, that is crazy.

• Like 1

We got several clients that bought their first airplane, an M20J, and the premium is around seven grand a year. These are low time pilots with a fresh complex endorsement, one had an instrument rating and one did not, but it’s a lot of money.

Some insurance companies discount for having a hangar.  Others don't discount and just make their yes/no underwriting decisions based on if the aircraft is not hangared in a hail/weather prone area.

Some companies limit how much they'll pay for cosmetic hail damage to a Mooney...and of those companies, a couple only add that limitation on policies where the aircraft is normally stored outside.

• Thanks 1

Different question, similar topic.  I've had my J for 2 years now, put on 50-60 or so hours a year, no claims.  My insurance is slightly higher than when I first purchased.  Aside from about 20hrs in an Arrow during training, the J is my only complex.  Is this to be expected, or should I shop for a new broker?

• 2 weeks later...