What Mooney would fit the job?

mrjones30

Hello, if I wanted to purchase a Mooney to carry 4 adult passengers from Saint Petersburg Fl (PIE) to New York (HPN) with one Fuel stop and get there under 10 hours which type of Mooney would I buy?

I ask this question because I'm considering on purchasing a Mooney once I get my license which I am currently working on.

Thank you

Bravo would be a good choice. Would not need the long-range tanks if carrying four adults.

Just make sure you are honest with yourself about what your typical flight will be. Many people plan for carrying four adults, but rarely do, in practice.

Your flight time in a Bravo would be around 4.7 - 5.0 hours (no wind) if you could go non-stop.

Four adults would get pretty cranky over that period. With one stop, you could get to KHPN in six hours total.

If you've got four adults in there, unless they're midgets or have bones and body of light materials, you're not gonna have the weight capacity to get 5 hours of fuel in there too.  Figure on 13-14USG/hr in the cruise, + reserves + climb, and play with 900lbs of payload for a Bravo - you might do better or worse depending on equipment and options, and on how fast you want to fly.  I would also question 4 or 5 hours in one hit unless you really had no option

Since this is going to be your first plane I would choose one that requires minimum care and provide comfort to 4 passengers.

1. M20J: Lowest acquisition and operating cost of all the models. Same passenger comfort as the M20R/M20M. Cruise 160kts on 9gph.

2. M20R: Bigger baggage area than M20J. Faster climb rate than M20J. Cruise at 180kts.

I would not consider the turbocharged models, because to make any difference you need to be above FL 180 and need an IFR license. 4 people at FL180 or above will not be on cannulas but on mask consuming the whole O2 tank in one trip. Above FL180 expect crosswinds of 30kts or more forcing you to fly lower. Engine maintenance is higher on turbos. Most turbo owners rarely fly above 12,000ft, check this on Flightaware.

José

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mooney 231 because it perfectly fits my flying needs. But if you are thinking that your typical mission would be four average sized adults and some baggage, I'm not sure a Mooney is right for you.  I love the idea of a J model if the adults are not big, and you don't carry too much fuel. Jose is right most turbo owners don't fly above 12K often and you may not need that capability.  Also, most pilots don't fly with four adults in the plane often.  Take a good look at your mission needs.  You may be better off with a larger plane, Bonanza, C-210, if you really need all that lifting capacity? Be ready to go slower and burn more fuel !!

I went with the Ovation for a similar mission description.  It is the most comfortable for four full sized adults.  East coast, low altitude, no O2, casual flying.  I used to shoehorn the same people into an M20C.  The M20J is in between. The F is good too.

Depends on your personal economics...

Body type:

Long body > medium body > short body

R, S                F, J                 C,E

Engine aspiration type:

Fuel injection / Normally aspirated > turbo > carburetor

TN, M, K (good machines, all turbos, built for professional flying)

Modified Mooneys to consider...

Missiles, Rockets.....

Mods to consider...

Extended fuel tanks ( near 100gal std in the Ovation)

FIKI ( not real popular for east coast )

IFR GPS 430, 530, 650, 750........ KLN90B

Auto pilot

Send a message if you have questions regarding my response.

-a-

After about 3 to 4 hours the pilot starts to get cranky and has to answer the call of nature.  I bought the short body because of economics and most of the time I’m in the plane by myself or I might have one other person and my intended mission is generally 3.5 to 4 hours long.  Rarely do I get a third person in the plane.  But if that is your mission I’d look at the long body variants.  If you are doing that trip on a very regular basis like once a month or so then you might even want to look at something larger and your instrument rating.