CFI question

Quote: carusoam

In the flight instructor world I would expect  CCC.....classic answer to a classic question.

In the real world, don't get lost, a GPS eliminates the problem and another GPS serves as back up to the solution.

In the common Mooney you might find four GPS on any one day.

(1) panel mounted, IFR capable, connected to an auto pilot

(2) portable on the yoke

(3) iPad on the lap

(4) Garmin nuvi for use in the rental car.

One day I look forward to adding (5) aspen.  

I don't suppose the flight instructor will be interested in the "real world" answer....CCC

Best regards,

-a-

I agree John.  If I asked that question while doing a flight review and was answered with a GPS solution, that would be unacceptable especially since Anthony pointed out that most of us have no less than 3 or 4 in the airplane while flying along.   I remember when flight examiners would not let prospective PP candidates even use a Long Range Nav source to demonstrate Cross Country proficiency.  I'm not sure what they do these days but something tells me that they now allow it.  It is plausible that there could be a GPS outage sometime isn't it?  I would like to know that somebody I'm about to sign off for two more years has something else to fall back on other than GPS navigation and can still do it. 

Mcstealth, I liked your answer and there was nothing wrong with it. Presumably you would have a general idea of where you were at so I would have just followed up with asking you to show me where you would find those frequencies for Approach Control. At least you had something in mind other than pulling out a GPS. 

Quote: Bnicolette

Well I'm just saying that if an instructor asks a bad question, he should expect a bad answer!  If an instructor asked me that on a flight review, I would seriously consider sending him on his way.

Quote: sreid

...  But asking me what I would do if I was "completely" lost implies that I am so incompetent as to not even know from where I departed, how long I have been flying, and the general direction that I've been flying since takeoff.  If you think I am that incompetent, why would you even consider attempting to give me a flight review!

With no malice intended, some of you fellows need to settle down.  I am a CFII and will say the I am often stunned at how little some pilots know.  That was a legitimate question for discussion.  What are the ways you can get "unlost"?  What if you were in my J-3 and didn't have a GPS or a VOR.  A good pilot could explan a lot of his real knowledge and understanding with a full discussion of the various scenarios.  The suggestion of calling flighwatch was the first thing to hit my mind that most of you would have never considered it though few will admit it.

Safe flying is about repetition, about making habits that are so second nature that you never have to think about it.  How about this question?  If your engine quits, what's the first thing you do if you are in a fuel injection airplane, in a carbureted aircraft?  if you couldn't answer those in two seconds, you failed.

This is not the place to take offense at the first intimation that you are not Sky King, but it happens a lot.  Truth is that the greatest pilotage capability of 80% of the members of this blog is that they have a computer and no face, no name.

This is, can be, a hugely valuable site for the discussion of pilotage skills and maintenance issues for out aircraft.  If you need to let off steam, go to a bar, suck down a couple of bottles of courage and spit in the face of the biggest bastard there; preferably an Army Ranger or a Seal, but don't use this faceless site to satiate your macho needs.  Please and no insult intended.

Brett,

And that, my friend, is what it is all about.  I can remember standing in my back yard when I was four years old, waving at the National Guard Bird Dog that was circling above and waving madly at the pilot.  They waved back and I knew that someday, I would be there.

Stop by Mississippi some day and I'll put you in the pilot's seat and we'll open both windows (Stc modification), let the wind blow around us, and just be glad that we are there.

Be safe,

Jgreen

John, I know this is off topic from the OP but I just had to share these since it came up.  One of the greatest aviating days of my life.  I was actually out in LAX taking our Falcon in for maintenance and looking at a possible Mooney purchase while I was there.  These two fellows took me under their wing to help me scout the potential Mooney and then we went and had some real fun.  They are based at the Santa Paula airport and I got to go for a ride in a perfectly refurbished M20J and a Piper Cub.  I used to fly a Champ many moons ago, but there is just something about being in a piece of history like the Cub!!  A day that I'm not soon to forget.  Thanks to Chuck and George.

post-6502-1346814095051_thumb.jpg

post-6502-13468140950853_thumb.jpg

post-6502-13468140951255_thumb.jpg

Santa Paula is one of our unique California airport.  Home to many, many antique aircraft.  Open house, 1st Sunday of each month is a treat, seeing all the great planes either out or through open hangar doors.

Famous people fly, and have flown out of Santa Paula over the years.  Steve McQueen, Kirk Douglas, Sammy Mason, etc.

If you do get the chance to visit, do it!