Back seat flyer

I got to sit in the back of a 1982 J model the other day. I heard the very experienced pilot (in his 80's) tell my friend (who flies a Commander) in the right seat that he didn't use the fuel boost pump for landing. I fly a J and always have it on for landing, per manual. Has anyone heard of this procedure? I don't have a manual for the 1982 model but I can't believe it doesn't require the pump to be on...no?

Um, yes to both.  It’s in the manual for earlier models and I’ve also heard some well respected shops/pilots say they don’t use it.  Some old models had a Dukes pump that would eventually come apart so maybe that was a reason?  Newer weldon pumps and the oh’d dukes are continuous use so should be fine.  Now just remember, it’s needed for priming, but once the engine is running, the mechanical pump is extremely reliable.

Edited by Ragsf15e
  • Like 1

If the mechanical pump fails at 50’ AGL on takeoff or a go-around, you’ll be dead before you can get the electric pump on.  I think that’s why it’s supposed to be used for takeoff and landing.

• Like 2

This isn't an excuse for it, but decades ago the Dukes electric pump had a bad enough reputation that I saw pilots minimizing their use of the pump. Originally it wasn't rated for continuous use and It was expensive and didn't last that long. But these days the rebuild kits have seen significant improvement in parts, and are now rated for continuous use. 

• Like 4