M20K 231 Camlock fasteners

Hello, I lost some of my fasteners on the top cowl, does anyone one which SN I need for the side and the very back ones (they are a bit longer). I am told they are series 2700 on aircraft spruce but cannot find the PN. 

Thank you 

IMG_0012.jpeg

Went to Skybolts instead of Camlocs and never looked back:

https://store.skybolt.com/storefront.aspx

I ordered an assortment of SK27S3 (2700-series) in different lengths.  E.g. some SK27S3-3S, some SK27S3-4S, some SK27S3-5S.  The -<number> is the length of the fastener, and our cowls are somewhat custom items that over time will work better with different lengths.  You can keep swapping till you find one that is tight enough to not fall out, but easy to install.  I believe most that fit were 4S or 5S.

You may also want some SK28S3 (2800-series) which have a wider flange for any holes that becomes wallowed out, and some SK40S5 (4000 series) which are the large ones that go in the bottom of the cowl.

Having some spares in the hangar for when a shop returns your plane with fewer fasteners than you delivered it with, or when you land with fewer than you took off with, may be a good idea.

1 hour ago, Z W said:

I ordered an assortment of SK27S3 (2700-series) in different lengths.  E.g. some SK27S3-3S, some SK27S3-4S, some SK27S3-5S.  The -<number> is the length of the fastener, and our cowls are somewhat custom items that over time will work better with different lengths.  You can keep swapping till you find one that is tight enough to not fall out, but easy to install.  I believe most that fit were 4S or 5S.

You may also want some SK28S3 (2800-series) which have a wider flange for any holes that becomes wallowed out, and some SK40S5 (4000 series) which are the large ones that go in the bottom of the cowl.

Having some spares in the hangar for when a shop returns your plane with fewer fasteners than you delivered it with, or when you land with fewer than you took off with, may be a good idea.

I'll keep your post for reference.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Z W said:

thanks that's a bit more than I am ready to chew on just yet but the numbers give me a sense on what I need. 

51 minutes ago, gabez said:

thanks that's a bit more than I am ready to chew on just yet but the numbers give me a sense on what I need. 

-4S along the side and -6S for the two rear ones on my 88J.

• Like 1

-4S along the side and -6S for the two rear ones on my 88J.

I used 4s and 5s on the sides, the 4s were a little tight on a couple of them, the screw should be level with the flange. Be sure you put on the retainers and they work, otherwise mechanics treat them as regular camlocs and they’ll get exchanged for some old camloc when they drop on the floor.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I used 4s and 5s on the sides, the 4s were a little tight on a couple of them, the screw should be level with the flange. Be sure you put on the retainers and they work, otherwise mechanics treat them as regular camlocs and they’ll get exchanged for some old camloc when they drop on the floor.

thanks!

Gabe,

The big difference on the last two, where they use the longer shaft… you can see the number of sheets of aluminum they go through…

The shorter camlocs go through two layers… the longer fasteners go through three…

replacing cores is easy… replacing the holes is a bit more challenging…

the cores have a tendency to escape every now and then…

the holes have a tendency to wear….

The parts catalog… will list the part numbers and number of parts that get used…. But doesn't mention stainless steel, or where the different camlocs go…  :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, PT20J said:

There is some production variation in the thickness of the fiberglass cowlings. Getting the best fit may require some trial and error. 

yeah I bought some, they are super expensive but so be it

On 4/3/2024 at 10:49 AM, gabez said:

yeah I bought some, they are super expensive but so be it

You should feel lucky you were able to order some. I had some on backorder from Spruce since April of 2023. They just recently informed me they were back in stock.