530Waas GPS in limited panel space?

Cruiser73

I could used some feed back on my idea.  My panel is dated with non-ifr Garmin 300XL and KX-175B for VORs and ILS. I really want to fly my plane for my IFR training(staring soon) but with out waas I would be missing out all the GPS approaches.  I would like to do a full upgrade to glass but that is a few years out.  I found what appears to be a good deal on a 530w but the physical dimension is an issue.  I would like to replace the KX-175b with the 530w and keep the 300xl for backup comms but the 530w is so tall it appears I would have to remove the 300xl from the stack as well.  My 300Xl is stacked on top of my KX-175B so both would have to come out to make room.  Would a single comm radio a deal breaker? 

Edited by Cruiser73
Wrong model

I don't know if this helps you at all, but this is my panel in my 63 C model with a 530W, GNC355 and GFC500 all in the same column and has a small amount of wiggle room at the top.  It may give you an idea of the dimensions you need to do what you want.

IMG_20220421_142458172_HDR.jpg

The install cost of a 530w is likely the same or even more than a gnc355 which is a newer gps/comm.  The gnc355 is smaller so you could probably fit everything.  I know you could probably get the 530w cheap but the install costs add up fast so it makes old gear less desirable.  The cost difference to new isn’t as big as it looks. The 355 is gps/comm so no ils/vor.

Edited by Ragsf15e

8 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

I don't know if this helps you at all, but this is my panel in my 63 C model with a 530W, GNC355 and GFC500 all in the same column and has a small amount of wiggle room at the top.  It may give you an idea of the dimensions you need to do what you want.

IMG_20220421_142458172_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the photo.  I see you have your transponder in front of the passenger.  I have a Garmin Aera 560 there and it just for my wife to be able to see our progress.  If I moved my transponder to that location it would give me extra space in the stack.  

5 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

The install cost of a 530w is likely the same or even more than a gnc355 which is a newer gps/comm.  The gnc355 is smaller so you could probably fit everything.  I know you could probably get the 530w cheap but the install costs add up fast so it makes old gear less desirable.  The cost difference to new isn’t as big as it looks. The 355 is gps/comm so no ils/vor.

I have considered this option.  The 530 I found is about half the cost of the 355.  But the install cost would be similar I am sure.  

• Like 1