Let’s Have Some Tail Number Fun

RoundTwo

I’m looking at a potential purchase of a J that will need paint. So, while we would need to paint on the numbers, it’s crossed my mind to improve on what Mooney did. Granted, N201FU would be fun in an adolescent kind of way, but unfortunately, maturity rushes in for a quick buzz kill on that one.

I like N201RF because it rolls off the tongue easily but it’s already taken.

What are some of your “Wish I had a cool tail number like that” favorites?

"One Romeo Foxtrot" doesn't roll.easily off of my Southern tongue. Just get one you can say often and rapidly, and be understood. It's nice to.have part of it be meaningful, but teven with the recent 3-year registrations meant to purge old numbers, there are still not many available. 

Happy hunting! 

1 minute ago, Hank said:

"One Romeo Foxtrot" doesn't roll.easily off of my Southern tongue. Just get one you can say often and rapidly, and be understood. It's nice to.have part of it be meaningful, but teven with the recent 3-year registrations meant to purge old numbers, there are still not many available. 

Happy hunting! 

How about “One Alpha Uniform” or “One War Eagle”? I wonder if controllers would let that slide in the SEC. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ArtVandelay said:

If you want shorter N number, avoid multiple syllables: 2MG is shorter than 7RJ

Not necessarily going for shorter, but easy to say, be understood and most importantly, easy to pick up when you’re being called. My wife calls it selective hearing.

It’s hard to believe anything could be much worse than the 152 I trained in back in 1985, N20SQ. “Zero Sierra Quebec” was a cruel prank.

201RF is the airplane that just crashed at GAI into power lines a few months ago as a heads up. That’s why it sounds familiar. I had an hour in that airplane and know people that had hundreds if not thousands of hours. There will likely be litigation over that and though you wouldn’t be liable, I’d stay away from that tail number for at least a few years due to the likely hassle.

I always liked Nike’s corporate jet: N1KE

I saw one with 889BB once 

-Seth

• Like 1

N201R2 (Round Two)

N201SB (Sue Bon :))

N2014U (one for you)

N201WG (White, Ga) One Whisky Golf rolls off the tongue...

N201 Wife's initials... in case you don't want mine

What are the FAA rules about letters and numbers? What is your profession? Professor Pi (@aviatoreb) got 314 in his reg...  I need more info to brainstorm this thing....

• Like 1

When I recovered my Maule I went with 107JB, JB for my initials and I like 7, but 7 was taken, but 107 wasn’t 

Many like the number 1, but 1JB was taken by a biz jet, so it’s going to become a chore sitting at the computer until you get a number you like that’s available, then of course your going to have to reserve that number.

Then your going to have to hire a DAR as your Airworthiness Certificate will have to be re-issued.

If I were re-painting I’d definitely go with small N numbers if eligible and get the local sign shop to cut me full size vinyl ones if I went overseas (temporary)

4 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

When I recovered my Maule I went with 107JB, JB for my initials and I like 7, but 7 was taken, but 107 wasn’t 

Many like the number 1, but 1JB was taken by a biz jet, so it’s going to become a chore sitting at the computer until you get a number you like that’s available, then of course your going to have to reserve that number.

Then your going to have to hire a DER as your Airworthiness Certificate will have to be re-issued.

If I were re-painting I’d definitely go with small N numbers if eligible and get the local sign shop to cut me full size vinyl ones if I went overseas (temporary)

Nice to meet you Joe Biden. :lol:

NOU812 is available for any children of the 80’s.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sue Bon said:

N201R2 (Round Two)

N201SB (Sue Bon :))

N2014U (one for you)

N201WG (White, Ga) One Whisky Golf rolls off the tongue...

N201 Wife's initials... in case you don't want mine

What are the FAA rules about letters and numbers? What is your profession? Professor Pi (@aviatoreb) got 314 in his reg...  I need more info to brainstorm this thing....

1WG sounds like a great pastime. :D

• Haha 1

I can't win on tail numbers. When I was an instructor a student showed up for an instrument rating in a heavily equipped 152. The tail number was N757ZU. Saying "7 Zulu Uniform" drove me nuts. I swore I would never have an N number like that!

Then I bought my PA18-150 Super Cub. The N number? N5ZU

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

I can't win on tail numbers. When I was an instructor a student showed up for an instrument rating in a heavily equipped 152. The tail number was N757ZU. Saying "7 Zulu Uniform" drove me nuts. I swore I would never have an N number like that!

Then I bought my PA18-150 Super Cub. The N number? N5ZU

Not far from Two Zero Sierra Quebec. No way to get out Zero Sierra quickly.

7 minutes ago, RoundTwo said:

Not far from Two Zero Sierra Quebec. No way to get out Zero Sierra quickly.

Come on trade that FU for TU! No seriously the best shortest easiest to say in my opinion is MM. I wanted 252MM but it was taken. And as 201MM the short would be 1MM and i have heard other other aircraft that have had MM and it’s rhythm is easy to hear and the controllers like to repeat it as soon as the operator shortens it up. It would be my pick even if i had to change the numbers to get the two MM’s. Unfortunately when my wife saw JH those where the initials of the first names of our boy and girl and any hope of changing from that was thus gone. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoundTwo said:

I’m looking at a potential purchase of a J that will need paint. So, while we would need to paint on the numbers, it’s crossed my mind to improve on what Mooney did. Granted, N201FU would be fun in an adolescent kind of way, but unfortunately, maturity rushes in for a quick buzz kill on that one.

I like N201RF because it rolls off the tongue easily but it’s already taken.

What are some of your “Wish I had a cool tail number like that” favorites?

I’d never paint on registration marks.  When airplanes switch countries, registration changes become a real pain and expense.

17 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I’d never paint on registration marks.  When airplanes switch countries, registration changes become a real pain and expense.

From memory you can’t use Vinyl, although we delivered aircraft that way for a couple of years.

‘I believe the US regulation is you must either paint or use a decal? Without any explanation of what constitutes a decal.

I just looked it up, nothing about a decal, but this says it must have the a similar permanence as paint

Subpart C—Nationality and Registration Marks§ 45.21General.(a) Except as provided in § 45.22, no person may operate a U.S.-registered aircraft unless that aircraft displays nationality and registration marks in accordance with the requirements of this section and §§ 45.23 through 45.33.(b) Unless otherwise authorized by the FAA, no person may place on any aircraft a design, mark, or symbol that modifies or confuses the nationality and registration marks.(c) Aircraft nationality and registration marks must—(1) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, be painted on the aircraft or affixed by any other means insuring a similar degree of permanence;(2) Have no ornamentation;(3) Contrast in color with the background; and(4) Be legible.(d) The aircraft nationality and registration marks may be affixed to an aircraft with readily removable material if—(1) It is intended for immediate delivery to a foreign purchaser;(2) It is bearing a temporary registration number; or(3) It is marked temporarily to meet the requirements of § 45.22(c)(1) or § 45.29(h) of this part, or both.

5 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

From memory you can’t use Vinyl, although we delivered aircraft that way for a couple of years.

‘I believe the US regulation is you must either paint or use a decal? Without any explanation of what constitutes a decal.

I just looked it up, nothing about a decal, but this says it must have the a similar permanence as paint

Subpart C—Nationality and Registration Marks§ 45.21General.(a) Except as provided in § 45.22, no person may operate a U.S.-registered aircraft unless that aircraft displays nationality and registration marks in accordance with the requirements of this section and §§ 45.23 through 45.33.(b) Unless otherwise authorized by the FAA, no person may place on any aircraft a design, mark, or symbol that modifies or confuses the nationality and registration marks.(c) Aircraft nationality and registration marks must—(1) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, be painted on the aircraft or affixed by any other means insuring a similar degree of permanence;(2) Have no ornamentation;(3) Contrast in color with the background; and(4) Be legible.(d) The aircraft nationality and registration marks may be affixed to an aircraft with readily removable material if—(1) It is intended for immediate delivery to a foreign purchaser;(2) It is bearing a temporary registration number; or(3) It is marked temporarily to meet the requirements of § 45.22(c)(1) or § 45.29(h) of this part, or both.

You’d better let Cirrus and Cessna know, they use non painted registration marks.

Vinyl is permanent, it’s used on boats all the time and lasts for decades, boat regs are similar except they use the word “durable” instead of “permanent”.

Just because you can remove it without damaging the paint doesn’t mean it’s not permanent.

Now using masking tape would be considered not permanent.