Gary (fantom) - 1945-2022

Parker_Woodruff

When I decided to buy into my partnership in 2010, I was referred to Gary to answer all of my questions about the J. After I proceeded with the purchase, we became friends due to the proximity of his base and mine. His plane was one of the finest examples of a J model found anywhere (N49GH, the 49 being his high school football number if I recall)  and was in pristine condition when I first flew in it back in 2011. As the years went on Gary flew right seat with me on many occasions, and when I felt uneasy taking my first flight into a short field at Everglades City, he showed me the ropes just as long as I paid for his stone crab lunch. He also helped me along with my instrument rating, telling me that I was ready for the flight test months before my instructor thought I was ready.

Gary was a proud veteran, having flown the F-4 Phantom in Vietnam. He just loved to talk about the F-4, but was very reserved when I asked him about the war in general, like many of his generation. He also talked a lot about his son, who is a police officer in California, and his wife Silvia. We also found common ground both being from Brooklyn.

The last time I flew with him, to one of the Florida Mooney Luncheon's, he had told me about his health setback and that he was ready to fight, and shortly after, he decided to sell his beloved Mooney. If there is any good to come out of this situation it's this... gentlemen, get an annual PSA test and prostate exam.

Rest well my friend.

N49GH.jpg

• Like 7

Gary's paint scheme on N49GH was much of the inspiration for my design on N252BH.  And I'd say Gary started the Hawk Aircraft Painting excitement among Mooney owners...myself included.

We shared a few meals over the years, some local flights, and also a couple flights between Florida and Texas.

Giving up N49GH was really hard on him.  I was there for the conversation with him and Silvia about it and, if I remember correctly, we shared his final flight in it to Texas back right before he sold it.

• Like 2

• Parker_Woodruff changed the title to Gary (fantom) - 1945-2022
  • 1 year later...

SO SORRY to hear this.

I haven't logged on here in a while nor have I spoken with Gary in a while... We have lost a good one here. American patriot and an inspiring aviator. God bless him and his family. 

I am the one who bought his beloved N49GH. Of course, Gary owned that plane from inception for 20 years. I have only owned her for 10 years. Sadly for me, I am now considering selling N49GH as my Medical has been suspended, as well as my career as an airline pilot, for the time being. It's been a great plane! And a small inanimate tribute to Gary. Sad  

IMG_4815.jpeg

IMG_0009.jpeg

IMG_6899.jpeg

Edited by joepilot
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, joepilot said:

Yes! After doing my homework and talking to Don Maxwell and others, I bought the plane without even doing a pre-buy inspection. I put 500 hours on it and it's been a great plane  

The advertisement back then speaks for itself:   https://www.aircraft.com/aircraft/200899393/n49gh-1994-mooney-m20j-mse

• Like 1

I miss Gary as well... I unfortunately never got to meet up in person, but traded messages and phone calls over the years.  Joe, sorry to hear about your medical situation... any chance you can spin down to Basic Med and keep enjoying one of the finest J models around?

37 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

I miss Gary as well... I unfortunately never got to meet up in person, but traded messages and phone calls over the years.  Joe, sorry to hear about your medical situation... any chance you can spin down to Basic Med and keep enjoying one of the finest J models around?

Unfortunately, you can only degrade to Basic Med from a valid Medical Certificate. Mine is not right now. 

41 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

Gary was one of those larger than life characters and jokester. We flew to many of the monthly Florida Mooney lunches, and when I did they flying, he would be very critical, commenting on everything from cylinder head temperature to localizer deviation. He was very proud of his service in Vietnam and loved to share stories.

In tribute to Gary, I advise all you guys to get a PSA test.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joepilot said:

Unfortunately, you can only degrade to Basic Med from a valid Medical Certificate. Mine is not right now. 

That is most unfortunate... I hope you have a path back to a valid medical that isn't impossible.  I know there are some great consulting docs that can help navigate the bureaucracy, assuming your actual health is good.  No need to share any medical details as it is none of our business.  Best wishes for whatever course of action you decide to take.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

That is most unfortunate... I hope you have a path back to a valid medical that isn't impossible.  I know there are some great consulting docs that can help navigate the bureaucracy, assuming your actual health is good.  No need to share any medical details as it is none of our business.  Best wishes for whatever course of action you decide to take.

Thanks! Eye issues; detached retina etc. 56 yrs old now. Ongoing issues for about a year. FAA is way, way behind and taking over a year to process airline guys' paperwork, and I know a GA guy that was waiting 5 years! My paperwork has only been in 6 months, but due to some eye changes, I may have to resubmit paperwork & start the wait all over again, so it could be a while. And then hope they clear me to proceed with my Medical. The government working for you! 

I fly 49GH once in a while with my buddy as PIC who I added to my insurance. And run it up every couple of weeks, but not the same benefits of flying it like I used to. 

Edited by joepilot

7 hours ago, joepilot said:

You don't need a current valid medical.  You only have had to had a valid one after June 2006 (IIRC).

BUT you cannot have been deferred or denied a medical.  Or cannot do BM with a few certain conditions.

7 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

In tribute to Gary, I advise all you guys to get a PSA test.

Amen! I know another veteran who refused to follow up and treat his prostate cancer, and I don't want to end up like that. My first biopsy was not long after I found out what his trouble was, because my PSA went from 3.7 to over 6 in less than a year, around age 50. All good then and now.

PSA is quick and easy, as painless as anything beyond a tongue depressor (it's just a blood sample). If needed, the followup MRI is a big nothing, I think I fell asleep during the last one because they now play the radio through your ear plugs (very much like wearing my Halos in the Mooney). And if needed, a followup urine test takes no time and has fairly quick results. The good news is that prostate cancer grows slowly, and many more men die with prostate cancer than die from it. Odds are about the same as a woman getting breast cancer, 1 in 8 of us will likely have it.

I can't say the biopsy is unpleasant, because I was out of it, just make sure you get good pain meds with the antibiotics. Have a couple or three days to lay around the house afterwards too, and you'll get your results before you're walking right again. The last time I had complications, and used the cane I bought when I blew out my knee, just something to think about (the cane was $50 at walmart). Plan on a month without flying to save your life if the PSA results are poor, the MRI says "probable" and the urine test comes back with a high result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinecone said:

You don't need a current valid medical.  You only have had to had a valid one after June 2006 (IIRC).

BUT you cannot have been deferred or denied a medical.  Or cannot do BM with a few certain conditions.

The way I read it, and my AME described it, that is correct. 

For me, mine is suspended/deferred/invalid, so I cannot downgrade. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, joepilot said:

For me, mine is suspended/deferred/invalid, so I cannot downgrade. 

Professional pilots are in a bind because once you bust your medical, the usual way to get to Basic Med is to fight through SI, and then let the medical expire.  Even Light Sport is a no-go until the SI is complete.  As an amateur, I just let my valid medical expire, and switched to Basic Med.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hank said:

Amen! I know another veteran who refused to follow up and treat his prostate cancer, and I don't want to end up like that. My first biopsy was not long after I found out what his trouble was, because my PSA went from 3.7 to over 6 in less than a year, around age 50. All good then and now.

PSA is quick and easy, as painless as anything beyond a tongue depressor (it's just a blood sample). If needed, the followup MRI is a big nothing, I think I fell asleep during the last one because they now play the radio through your ear plugs (very much like wearing my Halos in the Mooney). And if needed, a followup urine test takes no time and has fairly quick results. The good news is that prostate cancer grows slowly, and many more men die with prostate cancer than die from it. Odds are about the same as a woman getting breast cancer, 1 in 8 of us will likely have it.

I can't say the biopsy is unpleasant, because I was out of it, just make sure you get good pain meds with the antibiotics. Have a couple or three days to lay around the house afterwards too, and you'll get your results before you're walking right again. The last time I had complications, and used the cane I bought when I blew out my knee, just something to think about (the cane was $50 at walmart). Plan on a month without flying to save your life if the PSA results are poor, the MRI says "probable" and the urine test comes back with a high result.

I've had two biopsy's and can emphatically say that their not as bad as advertised. For the first one, my anxiety level on a scale of one to ten was a good eleven, but the procedure proved to be a solid four and the discomfort scale, which led to the second one being a breeze. Now don't get me wrong, it's no pleasant, but it's over in a few minutes. What a newbie must be prepared for is the the aftermath, which I won't get into. Both procedures, ten years apart found - nothing.