1967 M20F (all manual) prebuy...

m20flyer

Hi,

I'm looking for the "hot spots" on the F models.  I have the AD list and plan to dig pretty deeply into the books (and plane), but are there other critical components that should be checked?  I've read just about everything I can get my hands on and there don't seem to be any huge issues with Mooneys.  They're solid machines.

My plan thus far:

• Log books
  • Thorough visual inspection (removing panels and looking under the carpet)
  • Compressions (400-500 smoh)
  • A gear swing if I can get jacks

My concerns:

• Corrosion: What are the must-check items?  I've heard about a spar splice but haven't seen an AD for it.
  • Fuel tanks: how often should they be resealed?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.  Just kinda nervous...first time buyer.

Search the forums and spend a few days reading about things to look for.  Most if not all have been covered. Yes, complete logs, AD's, spar, fuselage tube, longeron corrosion, engine.  Engine condition depends greatly on its usage pattern. Do not just look at hours since major overhaul. If it is flown infrequently the camshafts and cylinders get corrosion, especially in a coastal or humid environment.  Do not just buy a plane because it has low hours, advertised as "NDH", nor shy away from one with 5000 hours.  Aircraft flown regularly are less problems.

Fuel tanks last between 40 years and one day.  Multiple patch jobs indicate problems. Do not buy any plane you cannot fill to the tippy top and let sit overnight. Thats when many leaks become apparent, and they are not cheap to fix.  Bladders solve the problem, at the expense of 30 lbs useful load.

Also gogle search. MAPA has an excellent article about pre-buy inspections as do others.   Regardless, budget 5K for discovered items after you take posession.

Quote: jeckford

+1 on this.

I had a deal just fall through on a 67F which I thought was a "perfect" plane.  Great new paint, interior, low time, new engine, landing gear actuator, etc...

Deal feel through because reputable MSC found a lot of corrosion.  Typical spot to check is left side of roll cage as this is where water will settle.  It is inside the tube so you have to check with a magnet typically.  According to MSC...corrosion is like cancer and continues to eat away at the metal...cannot be stopped.  It was going to be $11,000 to replace that tube as the wing attaches there and the whole wing had to be removed.

M20Flyer,

Constructively speaking... Have you learned the search function here?

There is plenty already written regarding your easy to ask, but not easy to answer question...

One of my favorite topics that comes up is regarding who does your pre-buy...

http://www.mooneyspace.com/index.cfm?mainaction=posts&forumid=2&threadid=2160

Mooneys are solid, but not impervious...trying to determine how much to spend on a pre-buy is somewhat personalized.

Does it fit your budget, size of the investment, cost of repairs, who should pay...its all here somewhere.

We have all done it successfuly, you will too, good luck with yours.

Best regards,

-a-

Quote: m20flyer

Thank you to everyone who has contributed thus far!  Non-compliance with 208B is a dealbreaker.  Jeckford, if you don't mind me asking, where was the plane you were looking at?  I think I may have found it.