K-Factor

PT20J

I know several of you have tweaked K-factors to get more accurate fuel flow readings from the Floscan 201B transducer. I'm curious about the results.

What make/model instrument are you using with the 201B?

What model Mooney?

What K-factor was marked on the 201B?

What K-factor did you end up with to get the most accurate fuel burn?

Skip

And how straight, for how long, were the inbound and outbound fuel hoses... any elbows or 45° turns...

And was the flow sensor mounted on the firewall, or close to the engine...

Looking to see if the K-factors are all very similar, until another important variable pops up...

Hoping to add to Skip’s question...

Ignore this if it gets in the way... (happy to remove this post if needed)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I don't believe there is any brass in the flowmeter. I think the turbine pivots are steel and the pivot points are carbide. Could be wrong, I've never taken one apart. I could be conflating other turbine flowmeters I've worked with...

I first did this after another MSer suggested it. I had excellent results. I capped one end, filled it with Hopps then capped the other end. It sat that way for a couple of days. After that I flushed it with 100LL. It has behaved perfectly ever sense.

BTW, a lot of people use it to clean injector nozzles, they are brass...

Perhaps I confused some with my questions. I am not particularly interested in trying to rejuvenate a malfunctioning transducer.

But, I believe some MSers with fully functioning transducers have taken some trouble to tweak the K-factor to improve the accuracy of the fuel burn recorded by the totalizer compared to the actual fuel used from the tanks. I'm interested in collecting data on what K-factor they ended up with.

Thanks,

Skip

P.S. Hoppes is recommended by both Lycoming and Precision Airmotive (Tempest) for cleaning brass fuel injector nozzles. It's a good solvent. Don't drink it.

16 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Perhaps I confused some with my questions. I am not particularly interested in trying to rejuvenate a malfunctioning transducer.

But, I believe some MSers with fully functioning transducers have taken some trouble to tweak the K-factor to improve the accuracy of the fuel burn recorded by the totalizer compared to the actual fuel used from the tanks. I'm interested in collecting data on what K-factor they ended up with.

Thanks,

Skip

P.S. Hoppes is recommended by both Lycoming and Precision Airmotive (Tempest) for cleaning brass fuel injector nozzles. It's a good solvent. Don't drink it.

I understood your original question. I mentioned cleaning it because there may be a reason it isn't reading right, and anyway it wouldn't hurt to clean it before you try to calibrate it just to make sure you aren't trying to calibrate out a sluggish sensor. But I'm sure you already knew that....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

Skip,

I have an FT101... display.

Is the K-factor stored inside it?

How would I retrieve the number?

Then I would be trying to find out what sensor I had to go with it...

That is the best I think I have to offer... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Anthony,

Does this help, I’ll dig for more.

Clarence

1DE8292C-FCB4-45AF-8FFC-CF75C94B2213.jpeg

01F9D682-2F0E-4C66-B206-56D3683B3E6F.jpeg

4C4B7BBF-7AD5-4112-964F-1E62159285C5.jpeg