Avidyne IFD540 9,000$

jetdriven

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 430W and my avionics shop said the connectors are the same, all I need to do is remove something to make the space and buy a 530 tray and swap it with the 430 tray and walla! The estimate was for around $500 to do  that. If you do not have a 530W/430W the full installation costs would apply. I am strongly considering the IFD-540...as a matter of fact if I hadn't just booked a hawiian vacation on my credit card I would have done it already (i didn't have 9,000 left under my credit limit after booking the vacation). I've paid that off now and i think I'm ready to take the plunge. I'll be adding their TAS-605 active traffic in the mean time. B

Here is (partial) info from the company:

?? $9,000 Full Payment for one IFD540 GNS530W and GNS530 Owners: Charge $9,000 for my payment
for one (1) each IFD540 with 10Watt Comm. This payment is 100% refundable one year from payment
date. This promotional price includes the IFD540, microSD Card for databases, PC simulation software,
pilot’s guide, and USA shipping. This pricing does not include any material or labor required to install the
IFD540 nor new antennas, wiring, connectors, or labor associated with upgrading to WAAS. I may keep
the currently-installed GNS530 or GNS530W. This offer expires on 10/31/2011.

?? $9,500 Full Payment for one IFD540: Charge $9,500 for my payment for one (1) each IFD540 with
10Watt Comm. This payment is 100% refundable one year from payment date. This promotional price
includes the IFD540, microSD Card for databases, PC simulation software, pilot’s guide, Installation Kit and
USA shipping. This does not include the antennas, wiring or any other materials or labor required to install
the IFD540. This offer expires on 10/31/2011.

Options:
?? Add $1,995 for 16 Watt Comm Upgrade: For factory enabled 16 Watt Comm.
?? Add $2,995 for integrated TAWS-B Upgrade: For factory enabled TAWS-B.

This offer is for IFD540’s available in the second month of full-rate production. Avidyne will guarantee the pricing of
the installation components above in Appendix A (Below) for a year after IFD540 Certification. I know I am
responsible for any taxes associated with the IFD540 transaction as well as any international shipping. To be eligible
for either pricing plan above, Avidyne must receive my payment by 10/31/2011.

Terms and Conditions
Neither this Agreement nor any rights contemplated hereunder may be assigned, extended or otherwise transferred
by either party, nor shall they inure to the benefit of any trustee in bankruptcy, receiver or other successor of either
party, whether by operation of law or otherwise. Any assignment or transfer of this agreement, without such consent,
shall be null and void. The deposit holder may transfer the warranty on the IFD540 to another party after completing
the agreed upon transaction. This offer is limited to two IFD540s per customer.
This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, without giving effect to its
conflict of laws rules, principles or provisions. The IFD540 and any other applicable parts of the IFD Package shall
be sold in accordance with Avidyne’s standard terms and conditions of sale.
The installation of the IFD540 must be completed through an Avidyne Authorized Dealer or Service Center. Please
visit http://www.avidyne.com/dealers/index.asp for a listing of Avidyne’s current authorized dealers and/or contact
Avidyne Sales at 1-800-AVIDYNE.

Quantity Description Retail Price
1 IFD540 Kit (IFD540, microSD Card, Sim Software, and Pilot’s Guide) $16,995.00
1 Installation Kit (Connector Kit, Mounting Tray, and Backplate) $500.00
1 GPS/WAAS Antenna $500.00
1 Connector Kit $250.00
1 Mounting Tray and Backplate $250.00
1 16 Watt Comm Enablement $4,995.00
1 TAWS-B Enablement $7,995.00

I played with their prototype at OSH.   The screen is much brighter and more resolution than G430-530 boxes.  The install kit is the tray and connectors.   Thats 500$.    I do not work for them, and have no vested interest in Avidyne.   I am ust trying to stir some conversation about this unit.

Quote: FBCK

I think the $9500 price includes an installation kit ($9,000 without it), what ever that is, does anybody out there know what that is?

thinking that Avidyne must have good technical reason to offer a GNS 530 slide in replacement first. But I hope a GNS 430 replacement will follow right after. 

My sense is that the number of 430s out there is much higher than the number of 530s.

Imho, a rewiring is justified only with a technology leap. 

Quote: ToddDPT

It looks loke a great product. Does it play nicely with the Aspen PFD?

Avidyne is one of the Aspen "connected panel" partners - so I would say so.  For this reason I am only looking at Avidyne or Bendix for my next GPS.  Migrating away from Garmin whenever possible.

If you are just replacing the G530W for the Avidyne 540 how much could you get for your used 530W. The whole upgrade net cost may come up for about $2000 after selling your 530W. Not a bad deal when compared with the GTN-750 were your net cost may be $10,000 because of installation costs.

José

Do your math very carefully. The GTN750 installed from scratch is in the neighborhood of 14.5-15K. The. Avidyne 540 is 9.5 plus 3-4k install So both units are approx same cost. The GTN is here now and here to stay. The Avidyne not quite. It's wishingware. 

Advantage: Garmin!!

Quote: allsmiles

Do your math very carefully. The GTN750 installed from scratch is in the neighborhood of 14.5-15K. The. Avidyne 540 is 9.5 plus 3-4k install So both units are approx same cost. The GTN is here now and here to stay. The Avidyne not quite. It's wishingware. 

Advantage: Garmin!!

If you are willing to come to NJ I do. It may be inconvenient to you. You just have to shop around and negotiate. I had mine done here by an excellent Garmin dealer. I like to be local to my avionics shop for future service if needed.

Yes. I had the GTX 33 remote mode S transponder and GMA35 remote audio panel done at the same time. Also they prewired my airplane for a future GTN 650 and active traffic system when the ADS-B dust settles. This will save considerably on these future installs and will save the airplane from having to be opened up again.

I'll pm you.

Nothing wrong with Garmin. Right now they dont have any competition for the GTN so they enjoy some pricing power. Once a hopefully sucessfull product like the IFD-540 finally arrives I would hypothysize Garmin would be more aggressive with their pricing. History may bear that out...12 months is an eternity in the avionics world. My 2c. Brian

They had the KSN770 prototype at OSH right next to Avidyne and Garmin.  I played with it for a few minutes.  It is totally not a contender.  Crude map, similar to that MFD I have seen in newer Cessnas. No ability to overlay traffic or weather on the basemap.  Clunky interface. Not intiutive.  Buttons not active "we're still developing the software and menus".   I was not impressed.  Plus, no specualtion on delivery date.