Bad Elf versus XGPS 150

I just recently bought an Ipad2. I was wondering about the difference between these two GPS antennas. Any pros and/or cons for either one? The XGPS150 must be doing good because I see no one has them in stock .  Thanks in advance.

I have the bad elf and it seems to work pretty well.  It agrees with my 496 every time I check the two.  I don't like how the bad elf sticks out from the IPAD, I always think I'm going to knock it off.  I took a long cross country a couple of weeks ago and  after shutting down it takes a while to find itself again.  Don't know if that is the IPAD (IPAD1) or the GPS and I just wonder if the bluetooth GPS would not have that problem since it would stay on even though you shut down the IPAD. Regardless, the IPAD with Foreflight and a 496 with weather are a pretty good combination.

Don't buy either one of those units until you check out the GNS 5870. We just bought two for our crews and after the first trip we're buying two more. Great units and the bluetooth connectivity works extremely well and we put ours all of the way back in the aft passenger cabin - about 35 feet or so back from the cockpit. (The gps signal is attenuated by the electrical grid in all of the cockpit window glass.) Shop around, we bought ours at amazon.com for a bit less than Sporty's. Together with ForeFlight HD app they make a killer combination. (I love the geo-referenced charts and maps on the ForeFlight app.) The GNS5870 will shutdown automatically after you shut down the iPad. Battery life is around 10 hours.

http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/16133

I, too have the GNS unit, and it works well with the iPad and Foreflight.  Seems to hold charge for about 8 hours. The Bluetooth interface is simple and relaible.  I'm glad (for others) to see the price has dropped to under $100.00    I bought my unit directly from Germany, and with shipping, it was over $140.00   My only "complaint" is that sometimes I have a hard time turning it on or off - it is accomplished with the slide of a finger - no direct switches, and my rate of swiping is not always optimum.  All in all, a great adjunct to the iPad with Foreflight.

I purchased the XGPS150 through Amazon - had to wait about a week for it to ship but did recieve it a week ago.  Using it with an Ipad2 and ForeFlight HD.  I had a chance to use it last week and very pleased with the signal lock and ease of use.  I have 3 other GPS units in the plane so the Ipad is for the charts and other info but i was curious to see how accurate it would be. 

I considered the Bad Elf but didn't like the idea of having to plug it in and taking a chance of damaging the Ipad if it got knoked around.

Jim

Thanks for the video link.  I had been swiping the edge of the face of the GNS unit, instead of the actual edge. Works fine when you know how to do it.

Also, I should have said it transmits for about 8 hours.  I don't know how long it will hold a charge when it is not in use.

Quote: WardHolbrook

Don't buy either one of those units until you check out the GNS 5870. We just bought two for our crews and after the first trip we're buying two more. Great units and the bluetooth connectivity works extremely well and we put ours all of the way back in the aft passenger cabin - about 35 feet or so back from the cockpit. (The gps signal is attenuated by the electrical grid in all of the cockpit window glass.) Shop around, we bought ours at amazon.com for a bit less than Sporty's. Together with ForeFlight HD app they make a killer combination. (I love the geo-referenced charts and maps on the ForeFlight app.) The GNS5870 will shutdown automatically after you shut down the iPad. Battery life is around 10 hours.

http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/16133

• 10 months later...

I just bought my BE GPS and because of what I read from peoples writings, I decided to buy the  http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockXtender.html 

They have it in 2 feet or 6 feet. And I bought they sticky gum.. Sticked it on the windshield, it was away from my knee or hands, for it was just perfect to use that extender... 

Thanks

According to Foreflight you should not feel compelled to run out and buy a dual/bad-elf external GPS for your iPad unless you really need it.  The built-in GPS in 3G iPads is as reliable and accurate as those external GPS.  The main factor is placement in the cockpit causing radio shadows on the iPad.  Ofcourse if you have a non 3G iPad you need an external GPS regardless.

Quote: flyguy241

I have the bad elf and it seems to work pretty well.  It agrees with my 496 every time I check the two.  I don't like how the bad elf sticks out from the IPAD, I always think I'm going to knock it off.  I took a long cross country a couple of weeks ago and  after shutting down it takes a while to find itself again.  Don't know if that is the IPAD (IPAD1) or the GPS and I just wonder if the bluetooth GPS would not have that problem since it would stay on even though you shut down the IPAD. Regardless, the IPAD with Foreflight and a 496 with weather are a pretty good combination.