Avionics Source Trade-Up

gitmo234

Gents,

I'm all in. I took advantage of the Avionics Source trade-up program to turn in my Garmin 430W, for an IFD-440. On top of that I wanted to bite the bullet and get ADS-B compliant, and with fancy electronics, why only be ADS-B out? so I'm ADS-B in/out. Chase worked with me and got me a deal, I sent the wire over today. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes along with some before/after pics. 

Chris

4 minutes ago, gitmo234 said:

Gents,

I'm all in. I took advantage of the Avionics Source trade-up program to turn in my Garmin 430W, for an IFD-440. On top of that I wanted to bite the bullet and get ADS-B compliant, and with fancy electronics, why only be ADS-B out? so I'm ADS-B in/out. Chase worked with me and got me a deal, I sent the wire over today. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes along with some before/after pics. 

Chris

You will enjoy it I bought all my adsb from him great guy to work with 

• 4 weeks later...

Alright everyone..... preliminary review.

first... this post is late because of the hurricane(s). There's a box out there with some expensive avionics that were intended for my airplane that were lost for a long time. The good news? @Avionics Source really hooked me up. I wired the money and waited...and waited. Finally reached out to Chase for help. We were able to track that the hurricane effected the shipment, and in order to get my purchase to me quicker Chase was able to skip some of the formalities and have a second shipment sent directly from Florida (hurricane also became a problem). My products arrived and in good order. I bought:

IFD 440

Skytrax 100

AXP 340 transponder

Slide in replacement for 430W notes:

If you're at all like me you can be a bit careless when reading instructions and following directions on stuff like this. I can assist in the design of a satellite system no problem. Put a bunch instructions in front of me when I'm all wound up and excited to play with a new toy then words and lines begin to blur. I had to stop myself a few times and re-read. I followed the instructions provided by Avidyne, used my phone to take pictures of all the Garmin 430W setup screen settings, pulled the 430w. Inserted the 440 and gave it power. It started right up. Even getting into setup mode was easier on the 440. It can APPEAR confusing. The 440 has a lot of options to fill in on each screen. The 430W has a ton of screens and less options. I just filled in what matched and in about 10 minutes I was done. You should really start the airplane for that part. It can drain the battery pretty decently.

Tested the GPS WAAS, radios, and map features and all worked well on the ground. Flew out of the DC FRZ did some adjustments to squelch and volume, played around a bit and brought it home. Test complete.

Use notes:

WATCH THE TRAINING VIDEO. If you did what I did...drop that baby in, fire it up and figure it out on the fly...it appears complex (because its new) but easy to figure it out. Flying at 800' in the FRZ under the bravo shelf is no time to be f@#$@# around with a new toy. I can already tell that this thing is more intuitive, easier to use, and makes getting the data you want/need much easier, but it seemed complex because I did nothing but drop it in and go. Still...even doing that I was able to figure it out. That says something. 

in my whole hour of use so far, this was a great purchase. Once I watch the training video it will get better. Working with Chase has made this a breeze. He's been available via email to take my questions (with a fast response), was with me the whole time from shipment to install, even when packages were lost, and he even took months of questions (even hypotheticals) while I was deployed (before I even had picked up my airplane) when I was planning. Yes...he was willing to message back and forth with me a hundred times to answer questions from a potential customer that wouldnt be buying for months. 

@gsxrpilot helped out with some questions too. Pointed me in the right direction from some manuals.

The rest of the products are schedule for install in early october and I will finish this write up once that's complete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My girl is under the knife today. I swapped the 430W on my own to get it off to Chase, and the setup was a breeze, as mentioned, but they are pulling it for the audio alerts, which I insisted upon. Also, turns out there's a bit of an overload with a contraption that was installed poorly (USB outlets). They're throwing in an aircraft grade dual USB port, although the 440 comes with one anyway. Also, all the cabling had to be changed to RG400, something else was installed. That's from older installations, and they had that assumption included in the quote.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 12:17 AM, xcrmckenna said:

0b82304894bc26a8841e88103d081d0a.jpg

I pretty much did the exact same thing except I switched the AXP340 for the remote AXP322. Chase was great to work with. I've been very happy with the Avidyne system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to get a set of those yokes to put on my E