Does anyone other than safe flight overhaul stall switches?

peevee

At the crash site it may be difficult to explain who fixed/ altered the switch. The passengers and their lawyers may be interested.  I'm sure this device carries a high insurance at Safe Fight.

Clarence

Just now, M20Doc said:

At the crash site it may be difficult to explain who fixed/ altered the switch. The passengers and their lawyers may be interested.  I'm sure this device carries a high insurance at Safe Fight.

Clarence

It better for what they charge.

If they were smart they'd give them to Mooney for free counting on the repair business.

If your experience the retrofit goes in easy I'll probably go that route.

Just checking.   Contact cleaner fixed my flaps micro switches.

Can't believe the manufacture is not just buying a microswitch and putting it into the assembly

Edited by Yetti

10 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Just checking.   Contact cleaner fixed my flaps micro switches.

Can't believe the manufacture is not just buying a microswitch and putting it into the assembly

I'm certain they are but I haven't found the switch. Maybe they stopped making them and they bought a few thousand to stock up or something? Dunno.

The switch is even stamped micro and some city and state. I can't find anything based in the numbers on the switch, 8011 or 1108 iirc

Hoping to find some information regarding the switch in the pictures...

The name Micro and location Freeport, illinois... the Google power goes immediately to Honeywell...

knowing a supplier of Honeywell switches...

https://www.grainger.com/product/HONEYWELL-MICRO-SWITCH-Industrial-Snap-Action-Switch-WP7994323/_/N-bi5Z1z0cdmx?breadcrumbCatId=1006&s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/6DXD1_AS01?$smthumb$

It gets you very close.  It is possible that safe flight has an agreement to only manufacture this exact switch for them.

If you find the exact right switch have your avionics guy verify the installation.  It is that important...

what other markings do you have on the switch?

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Man that is close, too wide I think though. I think it's backwards though, I think you push down on the roller to close the switch, I need the pivot point ahead of the switch so it closes when the lever goes up

No other markings I have a couple pics - I kind of got stuck with 2 threads on this so I get mixed up what's in which.

The switch I have is 5/8" wide

Might be worth a drive to Grainger to see what they have, much easier in person to compare 

IMG_20170510_163942.jpg

IMG_20170510_163208.jpg

IMG_20170510_180842.jpg

The Mouser link provides the Honeywell tech details of how to define everything there is to know about Honeywell limit switches...

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/187/micro-switch-bz-large-basic-product-sheet-004955-5-740346.pdf

There are a half dozen details to select from.

Interesting resource.

Best regards,

-a-

35 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The Mouser link provides the Honeywell tech details of how to define everything there is to know about Honeywell limit switches...

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/187/micro-switch-bz-large-basic-product-sheet-004955-5-740346.pdf

There are a half dozen details to select from.

Interesting resource.

Best regards,

-a-

Everything we have in our legacy aircraft that is original to the plane is old school electronics.  All can be retrofitted to modern equivalents.  It is a personal comfort as to how far a person wants to veer from the "approved and safe".  My thoughts are the new "modern" is better, that is why glass panels have taken the place of steam gauges.  A switch will work till it doesn't and even FAA approved fail.  Matching critical load factors is a must and for some that may not be comfortable to do, for others there are other avenues to explore that can provide an equal or better substitute. 

• Like 2

DTF,

Don't get me wrong.  I am not suggesting to replace anything with an unapproved part.  

In this case PV is in search of the same exact part through an alternative resource.

Some times a part is available commercially and it requires taking the label off the part to reveal the original manufacturer's coded part number on it.  Vacuum filters are known for this.

+1 with not altering a safety device to save money.  Not a place to get inventive.

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

DTF,

Don't get me wrong.  I am not suggesting to replace anything with an unapproved part.  

In this case PV is in search of the same exact part through an alternative resource.

Some times a part is available commercially and it requires taking the label off the part to reveal the original manufacturer's coded part number on it.  Vacuum filters are known for this.

+1 with not altering a safety device to save money.  Not a place to get inventive.

Best regards,

-a-

My apologies.    I wasn't implying you were.  But after looking at the options of what he was showing for 1000.00 plus that is just ridiculous.  There are other avenues for sure. 

I suspect the part is "source controlled" by SafeFlight.  In other words, they are custom made to Safe Flight drawings and are proprietary.  I can't recall where I heard that but I know it happens a lot in the industry, especially in the old days.  It protects their investment and gives them a longer revenue stream...not very compatible with the Mooney CB club...of which I am a mamber.

9 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

Everything we have in our legacy aircraft that is original to the plane is old school electronics.  All can be retrofitted to modern equivalents.  It is a personal comfort as to how far a person wants to veer from the "approved and safe".  My thoughts are the new "modern" is better, that is why glass panels have taken the place of steam gauges.  A switch will work till it doesn't and even FAA approved fail.  Matching critical load factors is a must and for some that may not be comfortable to do, for others there are other avenues to explore that can provide an equal or better substitute. 

The logic almost works.  There are data gathering endpoints such as microswitchs and thermocouple. What they are displayed on is what you are talking about. We will call it the HMI or Human Machine Interface. A analog needle gauge is an HMI.  A fancy computer screen is an HMI.   In this example the endpoints remain the same.  Even a new fangled Angle of attack indicator uses a vane and a microswitch.  The HMI uses new fangled LEDs

1 hour ago, takair said:

I suspect the part is "source controlled" by SafeFlight.  In other words, they are custom made to Safe Flight drawings and are proprietary.  I can't recall where I heard that but I know it happens a lot in the industry, especially in the old days.  It protects their investment and gives them a longer revenue stream...not very compatible with the Mooney CB club...of which I am a mamber.

I suspect you are correct

It's called greed.  I am done, I fell off the soap box.  I honestly have no desire to pursue it anymore.   There is no reason SafeFlight  has to charge 1000.00 plus to rebuild a switch plus diagnostic fees.   Send me the switch!  I'll rebuild it twice for that and I'll give you a life time warranty with an insurance policy with a million dollar payout and I'll still make money at 500.00.  Lets just go crazy, lets go digital....  No moving parts!  

Man that is close, too wide I think though. I think it's backwards though, I think you push down on the roller to close the switch, I need the pivot point ahead of the switch so it closes when the lever goes up

The switches have normally open (no) and normally close (nc) connections, that's why 3 terminals. I would get the mil spec version, if you find a replacement let us know, they're cheap enough to order as a spare part.

18 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

The switches have normally open (no) and normally close (nc) connections, that's why 3 terminals. I would get the mil spec version, if you find a replacement let us know, they're cheap enough to order as a spare part.

It's not about no and NC, it's about the arm moving the wrong way relative to the stall vane and being unable to actuate the switch.

I already bought the Mooney replacement kit for 500 bucks. It'll be here tomorrow 

1 hour ago, Dream to fly said:

It's called greed.  I am done, I fell off the soap box.  I honestly have no desire to pursue it anymore.   There is no reason SafeFlight  has to charge 1000.00 plus to rebuild a switch plus diagnostic fees.   Send me the switch!  I'll rebuild it twice for that and I'll give you a life time warranty with an insurance policy with a million dollar payout and I'll still make money at 500.00.  Lets just go crazy, lets go digital....  No moving parts!  

If you want the old one send me your address.

8 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

Sounds like an STC in the making.  Please work on the heated ones for FIKI installations, those prices will make you cringe.

Clarence

So gun wise where things are held in with pins.   It looks like they take a standard microswitch remove a pin and replace it with a vane that is reverse the way the microswitch works.

If other guy does not want it.... I would like to play.   The switches are only 12.00   

18 hours ago, peevee said:

It's not about no and NC, it's about the arm moving the wrong way relative to the stall vane and being unable to actuate the switch.

I already bought the Mooney replacement kit for 500 bucks. It'll be here tomorrow 

Can you post pictures of the $500 replacement kit and how easy or hard to retrofit?  This sounds like an underutilized alternative. I wish I had known about it when I was having problems.

I just realized there is another approved alternative.  Safe Flight makes a drop in replacement AOA system.  It fits in place of the stall switch we are discussing.  While not cheap, if you are in the market for an AOA and need a stall switch, this may be the way to go and it may be less than doing both, a new switch and AOA.  http://www.safeflight.com/product/scc-leading-edge-angle-of-attack/

Correction:. Not an approved replacement....must keep old switch.

Edited by takair
Corrected information.