Accident At Chino

HopePilot

I wouldnt tell anyone else they can't do it, but my instructor in my prior Mooney ('63 M20C) wouldn't do touch and go's with me because he said there is just too much going on in a Mooney and nothing wrong with another few minutes in the plane to taxi back around.  I still feel that way.  Sad and I hope he fully recovers from his injuries.

I should also add that I don't know what the cause was, so I really shouldn't even speculate that any of it was related to doing touch and go's.  I just saw the article mentioned they were practicing those and it sparked the thought that I don't like those in a Mooney, but whatever happened could be entirely unrelated to it. 

• 2 weeks later...

The prelim report is finally out yet it is very brief and provides very little info – after the usual FAA boilerplate about  .. “and no flight plan had been filed” it states:

“The CFI stated that they had just completed two simulated short-field takeoffs and decided to perform a simulated soft-field takeoff. The student pilot was at the controls during the takeoff roll, and as the airplane rotated, the nose lifted at an angle that the CFI determined was excessive. He verbally coached the pilot to lower the nose, but the nose did not lower. He again requested that the he lower the nose, but there was no response. The airplane then began to drift to the left, so the CFI took the controls and attempted to lower the nose. Before the angle of attack was corrected, the right wing dropped. The CFI responded with rudder input, which was followed by an opposite wing drop. The airplane then landed hard and skidded off the runway on its belly; the CFI reported that fire simultaneously erupted as the airplane slid to a stop.”

Says nothing though regarding  them doing touch and goes as the press reported, nor if the landing gear was retracted, or what position the flaps were in and if the excessive angle of attitude that the CFI reported was exacerbated by the plane still being in full nose up from the landing etc. Although the remark “skidded off the runway on its belly” sure seems to suggest the gear was retracted and therefore the “hard landing” with a wing dropped could explain compromising a wing tank and a subsequent fire from the sparks of skidding off the runway. But we’ll have to wait for the full report to get all the facts.

I was out instructing soft field take-off (and balked landing while in the flare) just last weekend and I can’t think another maneuver that has me guarding the controls closer; especially while the pilot is learning to get the feel of the airplane to hold the nose off. Way to much excitement to be doing that on the go of a touch and go – at least for me.
Very unfortunate, I hope both of them come out okay from this.

The report is at http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20101211X85133&key=1

My gear up was after an hour under the hood...and an hour of BFI...and 1/2 dozen touch & Go's...when my instructor pulled power midfield downwind on a 1,000 feet displaced runway that was NOT an airport I used regularly.  I was so focused on the displaced runway and normally extend gear at mid-point downwind.  Instructer said "beautiful" in the flare...prior to crunch.  I was probably a little fatigued and the repeated landings and sudden "simulated emergency" became one, sigh...Those that have and those that....