Wondering what folks use for onboard weather

Browncbr1

Onboard weather source poll  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What do you primarily rely on for weather info (in flight) when on instrument flight plans

• XM
    • ADSB
    • Strike finder / stormscope
    • Active radar
    • None / FSS / ATC
    • Other

I think you poll should have allowed multiple choice. I fly with FIS-B and a WX-500 StormScope. Sufficient for the weather I am willing to tangle with. If I flew closer to active weather, I certainly would be flying behind active radar (and more importantly be trained to take advantage of it).

28 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I think you poll should have allowed multiple choice. I fly with FIS-B and a WX-500 StormScope. Sufficient for the weather I am willing to tangle with. If I flew closer to active weather, I certainly would be flying behind active radar (and more importantly be trained to take advantage of it).

At first I had set it up that way, but I was interested in what folks are using as primary data.  Operative word being primary. 

I realize that "transmitted weather data" has come a long way and it keeps getting better, but when I'm IFR, a stormscope is critical to answer the question:  "Can I safely fly into this cloud?".  Regardless of what the transmitted picture shows, I want something real time before I lose my sight picture of lurking storms.

28 minutes ago, Marauder said: I think you poll should have allowed multiple choice. I fly with FIS-B and a WX-500 StormScope. Sufficient for the weather I am willing to tangle with. If I flew closer to active weather, I certainly would be flying behind active radar (and more importantly be trained to take advantage of it).

At first I had set it up that way, but I was interested in what folks are using as primary data.  Operative word being primary. 

I think that is the reason people die in weather related accidents. When it comes to weather, there is no primary tool. It is a collection of tools both pre and inflight. I spend a lot of time looking at the charts (prog, Wx depict, etc.) as well as Skew-Ts before deciding on the "go" decision. The inflight tools confirm or rebuke the pre-flight weather indicators. If they don't match, my red flag goes up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I think that is the reason people die in weather related accidents. When it comes to weather, there is no primary tool. It is a collection of tools both pre and inflight. I spend a lot of time looking at the charts (prog, Wx depict, etc.) as well as Skew-Ts before deciding on the "go" decision. The inflight tools confirm or rebuke the pre-flight weather indicators. If they don't match, my red flag goes up.

You're right and I'm sure everyone agrees.  i didn't mean that primary means only.   I just wonder which tool most IR pilots find to be most valuable in flight.    

In other words, what would you consider must haves before entering imc ?

Marauder, what is the difference between active radar and stormscope?  

Active radar involves shooting radio waves into the atmosphere and any moisture/precipitation (or other obstacle) that reflects the waves back to the source are displayed. It will display precipitation but not convective activity. So, on radar you may seen something, but it doesn't mean it is a thunderstorm. With a StormScope, you will see the electrical discharges associated with a building, mature or dissipating thunderstorm. Both radar and the StormScope are real time. NEXRAD and FIS-B are composite radar that is not displayed real time.

In an ideal world, I would love to have both radar in addition to my StormScope.

Here is an example of of NEXRAD, FIS-B and a StormScope display for weather that Jerry (Jerry-5TJ) and I dealt with coming back to Baltimore from Oshkosh.

9644ee81cc54d0fa58bda4996827c976.jpg

I have a Stormscope (real time) , ADS-B in on the Avidyne IFD 540 via MLB-100 (Skytrax) and via GDL-30 3D on Ipad and Garmin 796, Cheap XM Skywatch marine package* ($9.95 per month) on a Garmin 496 mounted to the top of the compass post (shows NEXRAD Metars and local forecast). All of these plus my eyes out the window should help me make good decisions.

* http://www.siriusxm.com/servlet/Satellite?c=SXM_PageDetail_C&childpagename=SXM/SXM_PageDetail_C/OpenContent&cid=1415955177552&pagename=SXM/Wrapper

8 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Active radar involves shooting radio waves into the atmosphere and any moisture/precipitation (or other obstacle) that reflects the waves back to the source are displayed. It will display precipitation but not convective activity. So, on radar you may seen something, but it doesn't mean it is a thunderstorm. With a StormScope, you will see the electrical discharges associated with a building, mature or dissipating thunderstorm. Both radar and the StormScope are real time. NEXRAD and FIS-B are composite radar that is not displayed real time.

In an ideal world, I would love to have both radar in addition to my StormScope.

Here is an example of of NEXRAD, FIS-B and a StormScope display for weather that Jerry (Jerry-5TJ) and I dealt with coming back to Baltimore from Oshkosh.

9644ee81cc54d0fa58bda4996827c976.jpg

Thank you for clarifying.  I thought that storm scope is radar, but now i understand storm scope and strike finder are the same.  I will update the poll questions

Edited by Browncbr1

5 hours ago, Cruiser said:

ADS-B is more than adequate.

If the weather is so bad that I need the nuance between XM and ADS-B, I am on the ground.

Although ADS-B is supposed to have more weather products soon, some significant ones are missing at present, the most important of which is "freezing levels", with "Echo Tops" not far behind.  So I don't think ADS-B is adequate at present except for maybe VFR pilots.

I noticed as a young first officer that every time the captain turned on the weather radar, we encountered bad weather.  I soon learned that radar actually causes bad weather.  Same thing with the national weather service and TV weather.  They turn on those big radar transmitters, which are, in essence, microwave ovens and they cook the stratus clouds into huge thunderstorms!!!  Stormscopes are much more benign.

A lot of people do not understand the causal relationship between radar and bad weather!!!

And did I ever explain how snow plows cause bad driving conditions?

:P

(Okay....I'm just kidding.  Please, no lectures!)

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, donkaye said:

Although ADS-B is supposed to have more weather products soon, some significant ones are missing at present, the most important of which is "freezing levels", with "Echo Tops" not far behind.  So I don't think ADS-B is adequate at present except for maybe VFR pilots.

Since neither XM nor ADS-B weather are intended to substitute for pre-flight planning, those features are known to me before leaving the ground. Having the NEXRAD picture available in the cockpit is certainly helpful in confirming the pre-flight information remains valid. 

I find the factual information such as METARs from en-route and destination airports to be far more valuable a weather tool in addition to the stormscope.

The FAA will add some features soon to the ADS-B product, the most significant in my mind is the one-minute METAR updates.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

I noticed as a young first officer that every time the captain turned on the weather radar, we encountered bad weather.  I soon learned that radar actually causes bad weather.  Same thing with the national weather service and TV weather.  They turn on those big radar transmitters, which are, in essence, microwave ovens and they cook the stratus clouds into huge thunderstorms!!!  Stormscopes are much more benign.

A lot of people do not understand the causal relationship between radar and bad weather!!!

And did I ever explain how snow plows cause bad driving conditions?

:P

(Okay....I'm just kidding.  Please, no lectures!)

If you don't like what you see turn it off! We are all pretty spoiled these day. Out of the limited IFR flying I have done. I believe all could have done all of the flying with out the nexrad. If it looks bad on the box it probably will look bad with my eyes. 

I have an old XM script that works well. 

I'll see how much I miss it this weekend . Atlanta to southwest Missori in a 41 T-craft. 

Probably low enough for the iPhone to work...

-Matt

• Like 1

I'm glad there have been so many responses.  I'm not quite done with my IR yet, but I make frequent 350nm trips from TN to NE Ohio and plan on using the IR for mainly vfr on top type flying.  That said, I am interested to be prepared if I ever find myself in imc for longer than a few minutes.  .  I haven't been surprised with any weather that I didn't already identify in preflight planning...YET..  I don't seem to get adsb data updates quickly or often enough to be useful. I figure it's just my cheap home made stratux.  I've never been able to get an adsb radar picture to show up on screen.    Flying vfr, I figure it's not the end of the world, as long as I maintain vfr with thorough preflight planning.  The reason why this topic came to my mind is because I am just thinking of pops developing and embedding in overcast while enroute.   Not that I would intend to linger in anything that long and an embedded TS sigmet would be a no go for me.  I'm just trying to learn more from those of you with experience. ;)

Edited by Browncbr1