67 M20E For Sale

Howdy all,

Well, after much debate and struggling with a decision, as many have seen, we are selling our Mooney in favor of a bigger plane.  I haven't listed it anywhere yet and I'm waiting for the annual to get started this month (not expecting anything major) and wanted to see if I could get some input on what asking price I should start at. I'm thinking $67.5 based on a quick VREF lookup.

Basic Info (times are rough since I don't have the logs in front of me):

1967 M20E

TTAF: 2685, TSMOH: 300, TSPOH: 300  (All four cylinders replaced in July 2008 by Lone Star Aero) 

Most recent annuals completed by Lone Star Aero in San Antonio.

Garmin 430W, PSA8000B, KX155 w/loc, GTX-327

Garmin 496 hardwired to G430W for cross-fill and wired to P8000B for sound (nice!!)

New, standard instrument panel (no shotgun) completed February 10

IFR Cert until Feb 12

Brittain B6 Autopilot

Fresh Paint (March, 10)

Reupholstered Seats (March, 10)

201 Windshield Mod

Lower Cowl Enclosure Mod

Brake Caliper Reversal Mod

Johnson Bar and Hydraulic Flaps

LASAR Ignition System

New Starter, Alternator, Starter Gear Ring in the last 6 months.

Flown regularly (almost 100 hours in the last year alone)

Pics are in my gallery and on my website (lots there).

No tomato throwing Scott.... Tongue out  I'll make sure I stop up and see you with the new bird once we get it unless it's delayed because I'm heading overseas again.  I'm not going with as drastic a change like Chris did with his Twin Bo, but it's close...

Thanks,

Brian

I think that's an awesome plane and a very fair price.  You've literally breathed new life into a worn out looking plane.  Personally, I think you'll have better luck posting it on other sites.  Although I've only been on this forum for a little while, it seems that the majority of people already have their own plane, and it's a less busy website than something like barnstormers.

I don't know how you came up with your vref, but the finance company that I used wouldn't count new paint and interior unless it was less than 12 months old.  I don't know if that affects your #'s, but it's just an FYI.

good luck.  whoever gets it will have a great plane.

Thanks for the input.  The paint was done in March, so I have a few more months before it's a year old.  Good to know though.  I'll post to the normal sites unless something comes up without it.  I'm slow rolling it right now until I find out what is happening with my next move in February.  Word of mouth usually spreads like wild fire sometimes.... :)

Brian

Quote: rbridges

I think that's an awesome plane and a very fair price.  You've literally breathed new life into a worn out looking plane.  Personally, I think you'll have better luck posting it on other sites.  Although I've only been on this forum for a little while, it seems that the majority of people already have their own plane, and it's a less busy website than something like barnstormers.

Quote: DaV8or

Oh no, he's headed down the path to the Bonanza! After he gets tired of paying for the extra engine, but gets used to the extra room, he'll end up in a Bo. Just like they always say...Wink

Good luck with your sale, your seach and most of all your deployment. Stay safe!

Did Mooney have a hand in designing the Twin Commanders? I absolutely love those aircraft but would need to win the lottery so I could get the turboprop version.

I know the link to the TBM exists and wish Mooney had gone with their twin version of the M20 airframe like so many others did. 

Oh well.

Brian

Well Brian, for whatever it is worth, I also have a 67E and I temporarily put it on the market last year a 1978 201 got my attention. As it turned out I did not purchase the 201 so I am still in the saddle with  my 67E if you go to my photo gallery you will see that my plane is somewhat comparable to yours. I would say yours has better avionics given the G430 and newer paint. I was asking 69K  Canadian for mine  at the time when our dollar was around 94cents to the us dollar. Now it is close to par. I still struggle with selling my 67E as it flies fast and is low time(455hours).

Best of luck with selling your airplane. I would appreciate hearing if you do and I will do the same if my airplane goes back on the market in the new year.

Regards

Philip

• 3 weeks later...

Brian,

I wish I had a stash of cash lying around (but I don't).  I just had to replace a mini-van that was totalled in an accident.  Can you say goodbye airplane fund?  :-(  I've admired your plane before, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Good luck with the sale,

Jeff, (aka Lumpy :-) )

Grew up not far from Topeka in Olathe Kansas.

I recide in Iowa...but I roll with Bucky.  Black w/red, red w/black...decisions decisions (some day when kids are through college and I have discretionary $ to spend again).  Good that wife is happy.  All is right with the world when this fundamental requirement is met.  Besides, would you rather strap on a proven winner or have God on your side when at 10,000 feet in the clouds?

• 1 month later...

--UPDATE--

I'm back home for a few weeks and got a chance to look at the A36 I was looking at buying.  I was not impressed with it as much as I thought I would be and after running the numbers, I'm almost running the same speeds with less fuel burn.  Not to mention our smaller four cylinder engines don't like to eat cylinders between overhauls (like the conti's seem to do).  Bottom line, it's still cheaper to keep my E and upgrade the A/P AND add an Aspen 1000 Pro than to upgrade the entire aircraft (although I did think about a 1983 Missile, but it still has a Continental and was close to overhaul, no GNS430, etc).  My upgrades are still way under the asking price for it.... 

Besides, I flew for two hours yesterday after I finished up the annual (cost: $650) and had a blast boring holes in the sky again.  What's a guy to do.... Now if I can just stay stateside long enough to enjoy it a little more.

Thanks for reading and Happy New Year to all!!

Brian

P.S.  GREAT job last night by Iowa!!  Way to get the Big Ten off and running this year...  Hopefully, the remaining schools can follow their lead...

Quote: flight2000

--UPDATE--

I'm back home for a few weeks and got a chance to look at the A36 I was looking at buying.  I was not impressed with it as much as I thought I would be and after running the numbers, I'm almost running the same speeds with less fuel burn.  Not to mention our smaller four cylinder engines don't like to eat cylinders between overhauls (like the conti's seem to do).  Bottom line, it's still cheaper to keep my E and upgrade the A/P AND add an Aspen 1000 Pro than to upgrade the entire aircraft (although I did think about a 1983 Missile, but it still has a Continental and was close to overhaul, no GNS430, etc).  My upgrades are still way under the asking price for it.... 

Besides, I flew for two hours yesterday after I finished up the annual (cost: $650) and had a blast boring holes in the sky again.  What's a guy to do.... Now if I can just stay stateside long enough to enjoy it a little more.

Thanks for reading and Happy New Year to all!!

Brian

P.S.  GREAT job last night by Iowa!!  Way to get the Big Ten off and running this year...  Hopefully, the remaining schools can follow their lead...