201er's Caribbean Adventure #2

201er

16 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Me and a friend had our own Caribbean adventure today as we flew to Great Harbour (MYBG) in the Bahamas. For those that have sailed on Royal Caribbean, their private island Coco Cay is just off shore of MYBG as seen in this picture. The other is of a beach on Great Harbour.

Have fun!

I finally got my bird back to Linden today. Will start posting videos soon.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, flyboy0681 said: Me and a friend had our own Caribbean adventure today as we flew to Great Harbour (MYBG) in the Bahamas. For those that have sailed on Royal Caribbean, their private island Coco Cay is just off shore of MYBG as seen in this picture. The other is of a beach on Great Harbour.

Have fun!

I finally got my bird back to Linden today. Will start posting videos soon.

Sorry to hear it was one of our Mooney guys that shutdown Linden yesterday.

And oh, please no videos of the 36 hours in the hotel room.

• Like 4

I loved the Ft Pierce to St Thomas video! Keep them coming. 

I have never done a  7-1/2hr leg in the Mooney but the wife and I have done a bunch at 4-1/2hr.  Your choices of inflight refreshments are eerily similar to how we roll.  Right down to my wife drinking juice boxes.

How do you like your Halos?  I'm thinking about ordering a pair.

Dan

2 minutes ago, DanM20C said:

How do you like your Halos?  I'm thinking about ordering a pair.

You kidding? I can't imagine flying with anything else! Hasn't the video made it apparent enough why you gotta have them? No wonder you can't top 5 hours... no other headset is comfortable beyond 5. I found my limit to be 3 hours in David Clark (and that's pushing it), 5 hours in Bose A20, and pretty much limitless in Halo. I guess it makes an especially big deal to me cause I wear glasses. No side pressure! It's the only headset where you can wear glasses, hat, and canula with no interference from the headset! The voice clarity is better than Bose even. Music quality is pretty good but not as. They are quieter than David Clark but noisier than Bose. However, the way in which they are noisier is mostly good. They give a realistic but quieted depiction of what the engine sounds like. The active noise control warp things so you're not as in tune with the sounds around you. Halo makes the noise level comfortable but retains feedback. Also, when it's time to kick back and snack, you can drop them on your shoulders while still hearing your radios and protecting your ears!

6 minutes ago, 201er said:

You kidding? I can't imagine flying with anything else! Hasn't the video made it apparent enough why you gotta have them? No wonder you can't top 5 hours... no other headset is comfortable beyond 5. 

I'm also a big fan of the Halo and the man from Jersey speaks the truth. Those of us that use them usually have had the same experience at one time - trying to exit the plane with them still on.

However, they are not for everyone.

Edited by flyboy0681

3 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

If you left off the tail camera and took off your tied down rings you probably could have done it in "only" 7 hours. :D

The sucky thing is the battery life. I got a 6 hour and a 12 hour battery for my gopros but I'm lucky if they last half as long. Can't find a battery that will last as long as my flights!

2 minutes ago, 201er said:

You kidding? I can't imagine flying with anything else! Hasn't the video made it apparent enough why you gotta have them? No wonder you can't top 5 hours... no other headset is comfortable beyond 5. I found my limit to be 3 hours in David Clark (and that's pushing it), 5 hours in Bose A20, and pretty much limitless in Halo. I guess it makes an especially big deal to me cause I wear glasses. No side pressure! It's the only headset where you can wear glasses, hat, and canula with no interference from the headset! The voice clarity is better than Bose even. Music quality is pretty good but not as. They are quieter than David Clark but noisier than Bose. However, the way in which they are noisier is mostly good. They give a realistic but quieted depiction of what the engine sounds like. The active noise control warp things so you're not as in tune with the sounds around you. Halo makes the noise level comfortable but retains feedback. Also, when it's time to kick back and snack, you can drop them on your shoulders while still hearing your radios and protecting your ears!

I can't top the 5hr mark because I have a C.  I have done many 8 to 10 hr days and I agree, all my headsets have been brutal that long.  I was skeptical of the Halos because I thought they were the ear bud type.  I hate earbuds, but I see they uses a ear plug and a tube.  Before they days when headsets were common my dad had a contraption from Telex that had a single speaker and surgical tubing going to ear plugs.  He love that set up.  

I'll be buying a set a Halos as soon as they have them back in stock.  

Dan 

Just now, DanM20C said:

I can't top the 5hr mark because I have a C.  I have done many 8 to 10 hr days and I agree, all my headsets have been brutal that long.  I was skeptical of the Halos because I thought they were the ear bud type.  I hate earbuds, but I see they uses a ear plug and a tube.  Before they days when headsets were common my dad had a contraption from Telex that had a single speaker and surgical tubing going to ear plugs.  He love that set up.  

Dan 

The designer and owner of the company,  Phil McCandless, is a Mooney driver and sometimes hangs out here, pmccand

Just now, DanM20C said:

Dan 

A few other benefits I forgot to mention. No sweaty/sticky ears in summer. No rings around the ears. The foam tips seal well and are quite comfortable. You hardly feel them at all once you're used to them. The only downside is your ears can randomly get itchy while wearing them from time to time. But even then, the amount of time you notice the discomfort of the headset isn't a fraction of how often with a normal headset.

When I went from David Clark to Bose it was a night and day improvement. Bose to Halo was an equally night and day improvement. I felt this even more so when I had to go back from Halo to Bose for a flight and they weren't so comfortable like they seemed coming from David Clark! Haha

Mike,

Your wife:

1. Is a real trooper
  2. or Loves you very very much
  3. or Is a real trooper and loves you very very much!

One tip.....buy her a pillow to REPLACE THE FRIGGIN' PAPER TOWEL ROLL!

;)

Dave

oh yeah, she's pretty cute too!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 201er said:

Day 2 we flew Ft Pierce to St Thomas in 7.5 hours. This video shows some aspects of what long distance xcountry flying is like in a Mooney.

I love that runway.  The first time I saw it, we were on approach and I was sitting in the cargo door of a Sea King with my legs hanging out over the water.  I was surprised when I noted that it had lines painted on all four sides.   That was 1988.  Spent two great days in Charlotte Amalie and surroundings.  

2 hours ago, FlyDave said:

Mike,

Your wife:

1. Is a real trooper

;)

Dave

Yes, I should ask her to convince my wife to join me in my flights...but, please, buy her a pillow and, I agree, she is cute. You are a VERY LUCKY MAN.

3 hours ago, 201er said:

The sucky thing is the battery life. I got a 6 hour and a 12 hour battery for my gopros but I'm lucky if they last half as long. Can't find a battery that will last as long as my flights!

What battery do you use. I have never been able to get more than 3 hours out of a GoPro, Garmin or Contour... 

2 hours ago, FlyDave said:

Mike,

Your wife:

1. Is a real trooper

;)

Dave

And get her some sunglasses....sun at altitude can be harsh, I've gotten sunburn flying above the clouds.

Love your video, best I have seen. I installed on my M20J these retractable shades from Walmart to keep the sun out during these long trips. I noticed you drinking a lot juice but no relief tube. I can't imagine the size of your relief bottle. That is why I went with the relief tube.

Mooney Shade.jpg

Just now, Piloto said:

Love your video, best I have seen. I installed on my M20J these retractable shades from Walmart to keep the sun out during these long trips. I noticed you drinking a lot juice but no relief tube. I can't imagine the size of your relief bottle. That is why I went with the relief tube.

Mooney Shade.jpg

Maybe the shades and relief tube should be included as part of the Monroy long range STC :P

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, 201er said: You kidding? I can't imagine flying with anything else! Hasn't the video made it apparent enough why you gotta have them? No wonder you can't top 5 hours... no other headset is comfortable beyond 5. I found my limit to be 3 hours in David Clark (and that's pushing it), 5 hours in Bose A20, and pretty much limitless in Halo. I guess it makes an especially big deal to me cause I wear glasses. No side pressure! It's the only headset where you can wear glasses, hat, and canula with no interference from the headset! The voice clarity is better than Bose even. Music quality is pretty good but not as. They are quieter than David Clark but noisier than Bose. However, the way in which they are noisier is mostly good. They give a realistic but quieted depiction of what the engine sounds like. The active noise control warp things so you're not as in tune with the sounds around you. Halo makes the noise level comfortable but retains feedback. Also, when it's time to kick back and snack, you can drop them on your shoulders while still hearing your radios and protecting your ears!

Dan 

Hey, I still have a Telex. Unused for the last 25 years or more. Was going through some old crap in my closet a few months ago and found those. Bought them because they looked cool but absolutely worthless in a noisy cabin.

10 hours ago, Hector said:

Hey, I still have a Telex. Unused for the last 25 years or more. Was going through some old crap in my closet a few months ago and found those. Bought them because they looked cool but absolutely worthless in a noisy cabin.

You have to admit though, they looked cool on the guys manning the consoles during those Apollo missions.

MissionControl.jpg