Please Edumacate me

Rik

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info...

Now you raised another question... You stated that a new "Zero Time Engine" just gives the owner a new log book.. Does this mean there are two log books, one for the engine and one for the air frame or does the log book only cover the engine?

You should keep separate log books (or at least separate and separable sections in the master log) for the airframe, the engine, the propeller and any other major component that has a life independent of the airplane as a whole.

Either through damage, wear or just quirk of fate, you can replace the propeller and engine separately, and each needs it's own documentation. The removed engine will take a huge hit in value, 50% or more- even as a core- with no log book. Ditto prop. Trippo if any of those components has a hard life-limit or inspection tied to time in service.

There is no regulation about keeping any log book, but most owners maintain an engine log book, an airframe logbook and a propeller log book.

You don't think 91.417 requires you to keep a log?

91.417Maintenance records.

(a) Except for work performed in accordance with §§ 91.411 and 91.413, each registered owner or operator shall keep the following records for the periods specified in paragraph (b ) of this section:
(1) Records of the maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alteration and records of the 100-hour, annual, progressive, and other required or approved inspections, as appropriate, for each aircraft (including the airframe) and each engine, propeller, rotor, and appliance of an aircraft. The records must include—
(i) A description (or reference to data acceptable to the Administrator) of the work performed; and
(ii) The date of completion of the work performed; and
(iii) The signature, and certificate number of the person approving the aircraft for return to service.
(2) Records containing the following information:
(i) The total time in service of the airframe, each engine, each propeller, and each rotor.
(ii) The current status of life-limited parts of each airframe, engine, propeller, rotor, and appliance.
(iii) The time since last overhaul of all items installed on the aircraft which are required to be overhauled on a specified time basis.
(iv) The current inspection status of the aircraft, including the time since the last inspection required by the inspection program under which the aircraft and its appliances are maintained.
(v) The current status of applicable airworthiness directives (AD) and safety directives including, for each, the method of compliance, the AD or safety directive number and revision date. If the AD or safety directive involves recurring action, the time and date when the next action is required.
(vi) Copies of the forms prescribed by § 43.9(d) of this chapter for each major alteration to the airframe and currently installed engines, rotors, propellers, and appliances.
(b ) The owner or operator shall retain the following records for the periods prescribed:
(1) The records specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section shall be retained until the work is repeated or superseded by other work or for 1 year after the work is performed.
(2) The records specified in paragraph (a)(2) of this section shall be retained and transferred with the aircraft at the time the aircraft is sold.
(3) A list of defects furnished to a registered owner or operator under § 43.11 of this chapter shall be retained until the defects are repaired and the aircraft is approved for return to service.
© The owner or operator shall make all maintenance records required to be kept by this section available for inspection by the Administrator or any authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). In addition, the owner or operator shall present Form 337 described in paragraph (d) of this section for inspection upon request of any law enforcement officer.
(d) When a fuel tank is installed within the passenger compartment or a baggage compartment pursuant to part 43 of this chapter, a copy of FAA Form 337 shall be kept on board the modified aircraft by the owner or operator.

It says you must keep records for either 1 year or when work is superceded, or when it is sold that reflects the total time, status of life limited parts, TSO of major items, and inspection status. This may be a box of reciepts signed off by an appropriately rated mechanic in a shoebox.

While it is true that the log does not have to be bound (or in book form), that is really just semantics and probably doesn't help a new prospective Mooney owner like Rik.

Also, keep in mind that the requirements for AD record keeping include method of compliance. So, any AD requiring an initial action followed by repetitive action pretty much requires that you keep those records forever.  Without the record that you met the intial requirement and continued to meet time requirements you can't prove to the FAA that you have been in compliance.

• 2 years later...
On 2/12/2015 at 4:45 PM, Awqward said:

When I got my Mooney it had the standard Engine, Prop, Airfarme and Acionic logbooks but I have started using the ADlog system as recommended by Mike Busch....it is a great system and all in one ring binder....and Fred is a very helpful and fine gentleman!

http://www.adlog.com

What does this service run per year?

Rik, bottom line, owning your own plane is an expensive hobby.  As said before there are lots of ways to make it more affordable, one of which is doing your own maintenance with an a friendly A&P checking the work and signing it off.  This of course means spending a lot of your own time doing the work.  If this is something that you cannot (or choose not) to do, hiring a pro will be costly.

When I learned to fly (in the time of the Wright Brothers!) the cost of renting a wet Cessna 150 was $10.50 an hour, look at the cost today!  There is a serious decline in the number of general aviation pilots, one of the main reasons is cost. 

I hate to be speaking negatively, but perhaps owning your own plane is not the correct decision for you.  If you don't intend to use the plane for business (hence a tax right off), perhaps renting when you need one is more viable, or getting involved in a multi partner joint ownership will be better for your budget.

1 hour ago, Sherman18 said:

Rik, bottom line, owning your own plane is an expensive hobby.  As said before there are lots of ways to make it more affordable, one of which is doing your own maintenance with an a friendly A&P checking the work and signing it off.  This of course means spending a lot of your own time doing the work.  If this is something that you cannot (or choose not) to do, hiring a pro will be costly.

When I learned to fly (in the time of the Wright Brothers!) the cost of renting a wet Cessna 150 was $10.50 an hour, look at the cost today!  There is a serious decline in the number of general aviation pilots, one of the main reasons is cost. 

I hate to be speaking negatively, but perhaps owning your own plane is not the correct decision for you.  If you don't intend to use the plane for business (hence a tax right off), perhaps renting when you need one is more viable, or getting involved in a multi partner joint ownership will be better for your budget.

This thread is over two years old. 

Renewals are about $30/year.  I don't remember what the initial buy-in was. $ well spent, IMHO. 
Jim

The initial buy-in depends on installed equipment and what size binder you want, but figure $180 or so with shipping.

Nice system - I've been using it for ~15 years. The FAA has gotten better about owner AD notifications, but I really like the ADLog annual summaries. Quick once-a-year comparison against your logged signoffs to ensure that nothing is missing. (And with luck, the vast majority of applicable ADs in your binder are "permanently complied with.")

• Like 1