My new Bravo

Jimmyred

On March 9, 2016 at 5:13 AM, Jimmyred said:

Thanks,

I am done for awhile.  I am going with the Whelen 650 and 500 LED nav/strobes at annual in October.  Who knows how long until paint and interior.   I want to paint the maroon black and leave the original white, save some money.  The interior maybe I can dye the seats black and do the carpet gray.  I would also like to replace the leather trim with carbon fiber trim.

Jimmy,

Great setup!!  I have a question.

I saw that you have the go pro ATC cable and mount on the ceiling.  Are you powering your Gopro via the cable or only running off of the go pro battery?  The reason I ask, I have the same Gopro ATC cable.  The sound quality is impeccable when it is running off of the go pro battery, however, if I plug the ATC cable into a power source to power the go pro for a longer battery life.  The alternator whine is unbearable.  I can hardly hear ATC and myself in the video.  

Does anyone know of a way to use a go pro and power it via the ATC cable without getting the engine/alternator whining?

Thanks,

-Joshua

There are a couple of solutions for alternator whine in the audio system...

you might be able to search based on alternator whine.

A capacitor was a typical solution for automotive installations.  It was called a filter when used for that purpose.  When wired with your GoPro, it would be a portable solution...

If the whine is showing up everywhere, it may be a diode has gone bad related to your alternator.  Quite likely...

See your mechanic for that.

PP ideas only, I am not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

On August 1, 2016 at 9:08 PM, carusoam said:

There are a couple of solutions for alternator whine in the audio system...

you might be able to search based on alternator whine.

A capacitor was a typical solution for automotive installations.  It was called a filter when used for that purpose.  When wired with your GoPro, it would be a portable solution...

If the whine is showing up everywhere, it may be a diode has gone bad related to your alternator.  Quite likely...

See your mechanic for that.

PP ideas only, I am not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks for the reply.

It's only in the GoPro videos.  Not in any radios or anywhere else.  Only when I power the GoPro via the ATC cable.  If I use the ATC not for powering and run off the go pro battery, it's perfect.  As soon as I plug it into the USB or Cigarette Adapter...the recording of the whine/squeal is out of control.  

Just now, jcollier said:

It's only in the GoPro videos.  

Just in case - are you using the correct audio cable to connect the GoPro with the intercom system? There is a isolation pad in the proper cable that reduces the gain from the intercom system to the goPro input. Absent that attenuation, you will get poor audio quality and a very low S/N ratio.

I’ve seen some instances where folks try to make a cable on the cheap by sourcing the plugs and connectors at a Radio Shack or audio store. These hand-built units will not have the proper attenuation circuit built in.

Have fun - fly safe!
DVA

5 hours ago, DVA said:

Just in case - are you using the correct audio cable to connect the GoPro with the intercom system? There is a isolation pad in the proper cable that reduces the gain from the intercom system to the goPro input. Absent that attenuation, you will get poor audio quality and a very low S/N ratio.

I’ve seen some instances where folks try to make a cable on the cheap by sourcing the plugs and connectors at a Radio Shack or audio store. These hand-built units will not have the proper attenuation circuit built in.

Have fun - fly safe!
DVA

Yeah...I bought from Sporty's I think.  Maybe I should buy one from Go-Pro.  hmmmm.....

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/24/2023 at 5:18 AM, Tx_Aggie said:

Why go from Bravo to a J, usually it’s the other way around?

First I had a E.  Sold it and no plane for some years.  Then the Bravo. Sold it then five years without.  Then now I bought the J.  The Bravo was great in the weather but you had much more complex systems. So it took a lot of maintenance and it burned a lot of fuel.  Since I am now retired I don't have to get back to work so I don't really need the all weather performance.  

I really loved my E and even used it more than when I got the Bravo.  Even did more hard IFR without a auto pilot in it. Since I upgraded the window, cowl, and alternator it just made since to get the 201.  

The paint isn't as good as it looks in the picture and the engine has 1500 hours so it does leak some oil.  I am hoping to get another 400 hours before a overhaul.  I am going to completely gut the panel since this is going to be a commuter between Bend and So. Cal.  I got really spoiled with the panel on the Bravo.  

• Like 1