Lightspeed Aviation Customer Service PIREP

Sven

A couple years ago I decided to leave the world of tried-and-true David Clark behind and find an ANR headset. Being frugal I settled on refurbished  Lightspeed Zulus I purchased from Aircraft Spruce at a great price. I loved them so much I bought another set from eBay, which was a risk. It turns out that just a couple weeks after the eBay purchase they started to short out.

One of the reasons I chose Lightspeed over Bose was I kept reading stories about their customer service. Last week I called them up and gave them the story of my eBay headset. Very nicely a kind gent explained to me that they no longer made the Zulus but to send them in. If it was a major repair they could not make they would offer me a major trade-in discount on a new set of their latest product. First, I was amazed he even talked to me since I was not the original owner and I bought them off eBay. If they were bad, it’s not Lightspeed’s problem. Right?

So I packed them up and sent them off UPS at my expense. Today I received them back. They replaced the cords and the control box, put in a new battery and put on a new windscreen. It took one hour of labor. They serviced an out-of-warranty no longer produced headset I bought off of eBay and they did it for free. Basically they made my problem their problem.

Given this level of quality customer support I felt compelled to give them this glowing PIREP. Six stars out of five!

• Like 6

I'm on my 3rd Lightspeed headset.  Upgraded each time and my experience with customer service matches that of Sven.  

Last year at OSHKOSH I compared mine to the new ones and did not find that the difference justified the price so I keep my Zulu Ones.

BILL

Great service for me.  I now use the Halo and they too have been great.  The owner is also a Mooniac!

I left a message one day when Quiet Technologies was closed and Phil the a Owner called me back in less than an hour . . . Had parts (silicone tips) in two days.

• 1 month later...

I sent my Zulu to LightSpeed on Tuesday. I was supposed to ship it overnight but UPS wanted $150 to ship it overnight. I paid $40 for 2nd day morning 10:30 delivery (still a lot more than I was expecting!!) and called LightSpeed to reiterate that, although I sent it 2nd day delivery I still needed it by next Thursday. The guy I spoke to on Wednesday flagged the order for same day turn around. They put new ear seals on it, new headband cushions and it looks like they completely rebuilt the electronics AGAIN (I average ~150 hours/year). Their charge was $20 for the earseals and NO CHARGE FOR SHIPPING.

They shipped it out on Thursday (same day turn around) and it was on my doorstep when I got home tonight. That's a 4 day turn around including shipping. Simply amazing customer service!

My experience was slightly different.  Several years ago, I bought a re-branded copy of Lightspeed QFR.  It seemed like a good deal, and the warranty was provided by Lightspeed.   Less than 1 year into ownership, I had a problem where the plastic snapped on the ear cup where the band attached.  --I sent them back to Lightspeed, only to find out that they didn't make them any more and had no stock.  They offered me a trade in credit of around $250 on some very expensive headsets (Zulu maybe).  I thought this was horrible, as the head sets cost me close to $300 and I really don't want a $800+ head set. 

In the end, Lightspeed eventually did find a replacement head set.  It just took forever.  To this day the replacement headset sits unused in the bag it came in (I need to ebay this).  I needed a head set while Lightspeed took its time, and initially told me I was SOL.   I moved to Quite Technologies head sets and I am much happier with those.