M-20 TN-Kit

mcolond

Magnus, the short answer is my original cowl, cowl flaps, and gear doors are quite worn.  The attachment holes are enlarged from wear so much that the cowl shifts "nose up" during the first flight after I put it back on after an oil change, and sits proud compared to the spinner.  There is a slight gap between the back edge of my cowl and the corresponding skin on the fuselage that is even initially, but then it widens at the bottom and closes at the top after a flight.  Later model 201's have a much better "fit" from what I've observed and probably wear much better than mine did with a gap back there from the factory.

The cowl flaps and hinges are all loose, as are the gear doors.  The leading edge of my gear doors are somewhat eroded too.  I haven't totaled up how much it would be to replace all of that hardware, but whatever that amount is combined with the repairs I'll need to do to my cowl prior to paint are really pushing me towards the LoPresti cowl, even though it is expensive and will require quite a few hours to properly fit to my plane.  I would rather put the money and effort into newer hardware that will also give me a speed boost on the same power, as well as reduce some of the engine/exhaust noise by getting a better seal on the nose gear doors.

There is another owner in FL that is familiar with the LoPrestis and is somewhat negotiating a group-purchase for some cowls in the near future.  We're hoping to get the price down to $10k or below for the entire kit (instl extra).  If anyone else would like to join up, please send me a message.

I'm not sure if the LoPresti cowl & revised induction system is compatible with the M20 TN kit, but if it isn't then I'll try to figure out a way to make it work later.  Ultimately I'd like to have both, but if I have to choose one it will be the new cowl and paint job for right now!

Doug and I talked to one of the LoPresti boys at OSH '08, and he said they DID do one or two cowls for J's with the M20Turbo.  They had a few pics of that plane on their display board - it looked COOL, like a mid-length Acclaim.  Big nostrils. 

We asked him if they would do another and he said "Uh, NO."  Apparently it was a thorough pain in the ass to get the cooling right.  

But, waive enough bills in front of them and they may break out the molds.  They've done it before!

Quote: KSMooniac

Magnus, the short answer is my original cowl, cowl flaps, and gear doors are quite worn.  The attachment holes are enlarged from wear so much that the cowl shifts "nose up" during the first flight after I put it back on after an oil change, and sits proud compared to the spinner.  There is a slight gap between the back edge of my cowl and the corresponding skin on the fuselage that is even initially, but then it widens at the bottom and closes at the top after a flight.  Later model 201's have a much better "fit" from what I've observed and probably wear much better than mine did with a gap back there from the factory.

The cowl flaps and hinges are all loose, as are the gear doors.  The leading edge of my gear doors are somewhat eroded too.  I haven't totaled up how much it would be to replace all of that hardware, but whatever that amount is combined with the repairs I'll need to do to my cowl prior to paint are really pushing me towards the LoPresti cowl, even though it is expensive and will require quite a few hours to properly fit to my plane.  I would rather put the money and effort into newer hardware that will also give me a speed boost on the same power, as well as reduce some of the engine/exhaust noise by getting a better seal on the nose gear doors.

There is another owner in FL that is familiar with the LoPrestis and is somewhat negotiating a group-purchase for some cowls in the near future.  We're hoping to get the price down to $10k or below for the entire kit (instl extra).  If anyone else would like to join up, please send me a message.

I'm not sure if the LoPresti cowl & revised induction system is compatible with the M20 TN kit, but if it isn't then I'll try to figure out a way to make it work later.  Ultimately I'd like to have both, but if I have to choose one it will be the new cowl and paint job for right now!

I would put $20K in, no hesitation...once we have 4 others in on board.  I don't want to put money in escrow until then - but I definately think that an escrow setup would be wise as it would really add to the temptation factor for the seller.

Look at it this way - if we don't use them I think you could sell the kits on eBay for at least what you were in it.

If I go in with a group to buy one I will shelf it until I move my M20J to the mainland - there is just no need for a turbo here in Hawaii with my longest destination typically 160NM away...

Jim, I'm around 3700 hours total time on my plane, so count yourself lucky!  I would imagine the "re-fiberglass" entry in your logs might be what I would have to do on the aft interface of mine.  I think I would need to remove the cam-locs, and close up all the holes with fiberglass, and then re-fit the cowl and redrill the holes to make it like new again and get rid of the slop.  It is possible that your flaps and doors (or maybe just the hinges) were changed at the same time.  It is quite possible (and legal) that your gear doors and cowl flaps could have been replaced without a log entry.

The rest of my plane presents very well.  I'm still on the original paint, and the previous two owners were meticulous.  I think one explanation is that mine is a '77 (and an early one at that with S/N 0157) and the factory folks were still climbing the workmanship curve at this point.  Jimmy Garrison pointed this out to me over the phone when I called for an unbiased opinion about '77 models in general versus later models.  I can look at some of the skin panels, the cowling, etc. on mine and see that it is a bit "rougher" than younger Mooneys. 

It is hard to describe via net forum, but I think the root of my cowl fit problem is the gap in the butt joint between the aft edge of the cowl and the forward edge of the fuselage skin.  Since mine has a gap, all of the air load on the cowl has to be reacted through those cam-loc holes, and they wear over time.  I've seen other J's with absolutely no gap between the cowl and the skin, so when the air load is present, some of it can be spread along the edge of the cowl nicely and react with the edge of the skin over a much greater area, instead of just a few cam-loc holes.  That is my theorey, anyway!  If everything were still hunky-dory, I would not be serious about the LoPresti cowl either...I'm sorta reaching on my justification since I would need to do some repair effort and spend money anyway.  :)

Since I currently have an F model, and most likely would need a 201 style cowl for the turbo, I'd probably be out.  Let me know however once you figure out the pricing.  I'm also considering the LoPresti cowl instead if we can get that cost down.  If I do the new cowl, I'd repaint as well.  And with the paint, cowl, and conversion to a J clone from my F, that would be a hefty amount before the TN.  For that amount, I should just sell the plane, and put the extra money (additional 35K-50K) into a 231 or a TN 201. 

Most likely, I won't repaint, will put in a Garmin 430W, and wait until a deal arrives on either a used RayJay Turbo or we make a deal on the LoPresti cowl.  Then it would be time to repaint.  My Moony could use a paint job, but I don't plan to paint it until I can get a hanger to open up.