1980 M20K N231RX: SOLD!

Dave Marten

Dave, I have seen this aircraft listed on ASO and maybe another site.  I get excited each time I see it.  I am a complete newbie to the mooney world (and fixed wing community in general), so my opinion is probably pretty worthless...but I think you have a nice airframe here. 

Unfortunately, I will not be in the market until spring. If I was in the market today, I would head your way for a serious conversation about this aircraft.  For your sake, I hope it sells...but I wont personally be disappointed if it takes a couple more months.

I am a little leery about the GB engine.  I understand that they will update it to an LB model, but for the next 600+ hrs, its still a GB.  Do you believe you have incurred additional maintenance due to the known issues of the GB model engine?  Has this model produced any other challenges for you?

I have not had ANY issues with the GB engine. That being said mine is intercooled/auto wastegate/GAMIs (a must-have for any 231). The mods make a big difference in engine/aircraft performance and greatly enhance the engine's ability to make TBO.

The 231 has not presented any operational challenges and you'll find the systems management much easier than your day-job. I've enjoyed the altitude/speed capability coupled with speed brakes and long range tanks (fill 'em when you need 'em). With the turbo I have twice the sky available (10K-24K) vs my normally aspirated friends which lets me cross high terrain with ease and get up and over much of the lower-level weather.

However being a rotor head you may have to overcome your fear of heights!

Welcome to Mooneyspace. You'll find a lot of knowledgable and passionate pilots on this forum eager to share their experiences. And hats off to you for your service flying that sixty!

• Like 2

Or the B-1 in Montana?

Report on that crash:

Air Force releases cause of B-1 bomber crash in Montana

A displaced fold-down baffle in the left fairing of B-1B Lancer led to a fuel leak and a series of explosions prior to it crashing near Broadus, according to a report on the incident from the U.S. Air Force. All four crew members ejected from the plane before it crashed in southeast Montana on August 19th; none of them sustained critical injuries. The aircraft, valued at about $317.7 million, was destroyed.

There were no injuries to anyone on the ground, and damage to private property was limited to burned pasture land. Both the aircraft and the crew were assigned to the 28th Bomb Wing at Ellsworth Air Force Base in South Dakota. When the crash occurred, the pilots were participating in a post-deployment training flight.

According to an Air Combat Command Accident Investigation Board report released recently, during the flight the pilot leveled the aircraft off at about 20,000 feet. While descending to about 10,000 feet, he swept the wings from the forward to the aft position. The wings of the B-1B move from a forward position to an aft position to increase the aircraft's performance at different speeds.

During the sweep, the aircraft developed an undetectable fuel leak in the main fuel line. About 7,000 pounds of fuel leaked into the aircraft.

The fuel eventually contacted exposed portions of a hot duct, ignited, and caused an explosion that separated the left overwing fairing from the aircraft. Ignited fuel streamed from the exposed left overwing fairing cavity, heated one of the aircraft's fuel tanks, and ignited the fuel vapors inside the tank. This detonation spread through the fuel venting system that connects the fuel tanks in the aircraft, and resulted in a cascade of detonations that caused a complete loss of power to the crew compartment, the report states.

At some time prior to pilot's initiation of the wing sweep, the left fold-down baffle became detached at one or more points, preventing it from folding as the wing swept aft, the report states. Because the baffle was detached, the wing pushed the baffle into the overwing fairing cavity where the tapered edge of the baffle cut into the main fuel line.

Or the B-1 in Montana?

My former squadron mates. All OK. Recieved Christmas cards on time.

By the way,

Did anyone see that sweet 231 for sale at the top of this thread? Check it out!  

I heard the current owner lost has lost his mind and is trying to cash in this sweet Mooney for an aerobatic airplane!

Somebody please help this guy!

• Like 2

Any insight on what may have happened to the AF Sixty over in England?

Not to thread jack, but what a crappy week for military aviation.  A C-12 (King Air) went down over Afghanistan today too, killing all 3 on board.  Won't know for weeks, but I know the England crash was a low level flight, offering limited time to respond to any emergency. We did find out today that the 17DEC 60 crash in Afghanistan was caused by enemy fire.  One of the pilots on that flight was a very good friend of mine from WOCS and flight school.  May they all rest in peace.

So...back 1RX...is she still being flown on a regular basis?

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched that Debbie Gary video. The song credit was given to Barb Macleod, who just happens to have been my instructor and also holds the most spins recorded in a Cessna 152 Aerobat (and my trainer airplane!). cheers to Barb and Debbie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk