Narco 810 issue

usafhaynes1

I have a narco 810 radio and had an issue today that I can't find anything about. When transmitting on active frequency, all is fine. When receiving on active frequency. The radio immediately switches over to standby freq. I was in the air when this started. I mitigated the issue by matching active and standby Freqs. When receiving, transmissions were a bit broken as the radio was constantly switching between active and standby Freqs as it was receiving. Has anyone seen this issue! I'm having the radio pulled Monday to troubleshoot. Only other factor was extremely heavy rain this weekend prior to flight.

I had Narcos in my first Mooney. They cost more to inspect than they are worth. I left one at their factory.

They were an excellent example of cruddy customer service. People enjoy telling their story years later.

Their equipment would bleed signals that would interrupt GPS navigation and follow that up with cruddy service. I tried to support their business, but to no avail...

Good luck, don't spend much moving on, just move on...

That's my personal experience,

-a-

After that... Anyone interested in a matching narco audio panel???

I have an 810 and a Mk 12D.  These radios are so dirty they they splash over into adjoining freqs and I had to change my Garmin 340 audio panel (because it is very poorly shielded) for a PS 8000.  

If I had my druthers, I'd rather use the Garmin SL 30.  Of course, today most panel GPS come with either Nav or Com or both anyway.

The remote transfer wire may be shorted to ground or the humidity may have caused the transfer line to be pulled to ground. It has a 10K resistor for a pullup to 5V. The humidity may be interacting with some crud to pull it low and switch. The remote transfer is on pin H. It could be that your front panel switch is dirty. The humidity could be affecting it.

Pull the radio and check for water or stains. We had an issue with very noisy MK12D many years ago. When I pulled it, I realized that water found its way at the bottom of the windshield above the radio stack. Water on connectors would cause all kinds of issues. I cleaned the radio and contacts and now make sure the seal to prevent water through that crack from getting in is good.

Yves