Finally got picture of my EDM-730

Earl

Just a short flight from KRMG where the MSC installed to KRYY (less than 30 minutes).  My flirst long trip is tomorrow to Orlando to pick my son up from college (between 2-3 hours each way).  Will definitely run a GAMI test and play with LOP operations.  Based on my first use I am doubtful I can run LOP right now because there is too much of a spread in fuel flow between cylinders.  We shall see when I have more time and am at altitude.

I recently upgraded my EDM800 to an 830. Nice looking display, however it's dificult to see while wearing sunglasses or at an angle. I like being able to view it's many features simultaneously. JPI has got a great product at a reasonable price but their installation manuals are incomplete and convoluted.

Attached is the plot of my flight to Orlando.  As you can see I had several altitude assignments through the Class Bravo airspace.  Once I finally got to altitude I flew at 11,000 feet at 65% (2,400 rpm and 25" MP). Since I can't run smoothly LOP I ran 100dF ROP burning about 13 gph.  My engine has around 400 hours since a Mattituck OH.  I have a few questions about the plot, especially from other 252 owners.  Forgive me if my questions are dumb but before I had the EDM I just didn't have the sense to pay much attention to some of these engine parameters:

1.  Is it normal for the CHT to be so erratic?  I don't recall that from the APS course.  The EGT values were much more consistent.  If you look at the coolest cylinder #2 it is much more consistent than the others and the hottest is the most inconsistent.  Of course I am compressing a 3 hour flight on a single graph so that may be part of the apparent problem.  But I am curious if this indicates a problem or is normal.

2.  The difference in EGT between the hottest cylinder (#6) and the coolest (#2) ranged from 60 to 70 dF.  The CHT range was from around 300dF in # 2 to between 360 and 370dF in #6.  The increase just past 14:30 was due to leaning.  Do these numbers seem normal and am I still running the CHT on the hottest cylinder too high?

4.  On climbout I showed max fuel flow to be 20.7 gph and it dropped to below 20gph above 7,000 feet.  I was told by the MSC that fuel flow should be closer to 24gph at max power and he is going to increase it on my next visit to his facility.  I also noticed MP dropped to 33" above 7,000 feet and assume that is normal even with a turbocharged plane.  I guess I never paid that much attention before to my MP on climbout so maybe this is a normal drop.

5.  Is there anything in this that gives you anxiety about the management of the engine or its health?

Thanks!

post-711-13468138115188_thumb.jpg

Quote: ehscott

I also noticed MP dropped to 33" above 7,000 feet and assume that is normal even with a turbocharged plane.  I guess I never paid that much attention before to my MP on climbout so maybe this is a normal drop.

The CHT issue looks very strange--I'd suspect a poor connection to the probe, but it looks like they're all doing it.  You shouldn't see 20-deg. variations in CHT back and forth like that.

For comparison, I opened the EZ trends software today that I downloaded from JPI.

It has some sample data, one of a 6 cylinder engine.  The same phenomena appears, EGTs are shown to run consistently (at least within their scale factor).  Some cyllinder head temperatures appear to vibrate up and down.  Some cylinders show steady temperature (again, within their scale factor).

I was looking for trends, such as all cyllinders on one side, or the front or back two....

Unfortunately, I have not learned to save and attach the JPI file.  The file name is SixCylSample.dat from JPI and it contains two flights #10 and #11.  Both indicate the same phenomena.

Things to check when the cowling is off.  Tightness of the sensors on the cylinders, Tightness of the baffeling around the cylinders.

There is quite a windstorm around the cylinder sensors, a mixture of hot and cold air blowing around.

Quote: carusoam

For comparison, I opened the EZ trends software today that I downloaded from JPI.

It has some sample data, one of a 6 cylinder engine.  The same phenomena appears, EGTs are shown to run consistently (at least within their scale factor).  Some cyllinder head temperatures appear to vibrate up and down.  Some cylinders show steady temperature (again, within their scale factor).

I was looking for trends, such as all cyllinders on one side, or the front or back two....

Unfortunately, I have not learned to save and attach the JPI file.  The file name is SixCylSample.dat from JPI and it contains two flights #10 and #11.  Both indicate the same phenomena.

Things to check when the cowling is off.  Tightness of the sensors on the cylinders, Tightness of the baffeling around the cylinders.

There is quite a windstorm around the cylinder sensors, a mixture of hot and cold air blowing around.

CHT readings should be stable...if you think about the physics you are measuring temperature from a relatively big hunk of aluminum, and it just can't change temps quickly like an EGT probe sticking into an exhaust stream.  Thus you have an indication problem, and it is most likely due to the connection between the CHT probe wires to the rest of the harness that goes to the instrument.  There are ring terminal connections for each wire at this junction, which are held together by a screw & nut, plus a star washer.  The star washer should be *between* the ring terminals, and not under the nut as one would expect.  I have no idea why JPI does it this way, but it ought to be checked for your installation.

I agree that your fuel flow might be a bit too low, but I'm not an expert on the TCM engines by any stretch of the imagination.  There is a complicated Service Bulletin or Service Instruction for setting up the fuel system on these engines, and you might want to have a shop that is familiar with the process perform it for you.  You should also have them check the entire system for induction leaks...these could prevent you from running LOP smoothly so investigate that before buying GAMIjectors.  There are lots of junctions on the 252 engine that can be leak sources, and you must enure that all are tight before ordering GAMIs b/c they won't work correctly if you have such a leak.

Running CHTs below 380 dF is optimal, so I don't think you have anything to worry about there.  The 60-70 dF spread of CHT could be lower, but again, I'm not sure what is typical on this engine.  You could inspect the baffling and the baffle seals to check for leaks and correct if necessary to reduce that spread. 

I would check your wire junctions, look for induction leaks, and setup the fuel flow properly as soon as you're able, then repeat the GAMI lean test.  Hopefully you can get there easily, and start enjoying faster speeds at lower fuel burns and lower CHTs while LOP!  Good luck.

Scott:  I spent the day at the MSC in Rome troubleshooting and we fixed the fuel flow problem and tightened a few items.   I will check with him on the JPI install to see if that's the problem with the CHT fluctuation.  Thanks for the insight. 

After all that it seems I am still stuck figuring out why my max MP is only 34" even with 24 gph fuel flow.  Also discovered that the magnet that holds the alternate air door closed wasn't connected but after fixing it I still have the lower MP issue (was hoping that was the issue).  We pulled the cover off the turbo and it looked fine.  May be induction or exhaust leaks although I understood those would only show up at altitude and lower power settings.  Maybe a wastegate issue.  We did find one leak around a coupling that was a little worse than what you would expect but nothing major.  Still a bit of a mystery.  Otherwise seems to be working well except the fuel/air balance letting me run LOP.  Will try to get the injectors serviced first and if that doesn't work I will need to go with the GAMI injectors.  Hope not!

Thanks for the help.

What is the nominal max MP supposed to be?  It sure sounds like an induction leak to me, and perhaps one on the exhaust/turbo side as well.  Has the shop tried to pressurize the system and use soapy water to look for leaks?  Good luck with the troubleshooting!  Remember that you'll need a leak-free system for GAMIs to work too.  Another small consolation...GAMIs aren't that expensive, at least compared to most things in aviation...

Quote: KSMooniac

What is the nominal max MP supposed to be?  It sure sounds like an induction leak to me, and perhaps one on the exhaust/turbo side as well.  Has the shop tried to pressurize the system and use soapy water to look for leaks?  Good luck with the troubleshooting!  Remember that you'll need a leak-free system for GAMIs to work too.  Another small consolation...GAMIs aren't that expensive, at least compared to most things in aviation...

Quote: ehscott

I typically saw 35" at max power.  He pressurized the system and used soapy water and everything looked normal except one area on the exhaust around a coupling that was leaking more than should be expected.  I plan to get that fixed first and see if that does the trick.  The search continues but man does it bug me to not have the engine running right.  I am a stickler when it comes to engine performance and I don't like it when it is not running on all cylinders.....figuratively speaking.

• 11 months later...

ehscott wrote: Is there anything in this that gives you anxiety about the management of the engine or its health?

Hmm. If the fluctuations were in EGT there might be an exhaust valve problem.

There is an article on this problem here: http://www.sportaviationonline.org/sportaviation/201008/#pg108

Also there may be additional information in this free webinar http://www.savvymx.com/index.php/engine-monitors

Good luck, let us know what you find.