Anyone use flight simulators?

Do any of you guys / gals use flight simulators? I used X-Plane years ago before I had my PPL, and obviously, my Mooney. I'm working on my Instrument rating right now, and have been thinking about getting one of the nicer flight control setups with a desk mounted control wheel / throttle quadrant and rudder pedals to use to enhance my training. Specifically, I was going to use it for doing the easy stuff like VOR tracking, intercepting localizers, and just good old fashion instrument scan.

I'm extremely busy with work through the end of June and then will be able to ramp my flyng time up to several times per week, which will greatly accelerate my training, but I have the itch to fly and thought the Sim might help out since I can do it anytime for any duration and without a safety pilot.

Good idea? Terrible idea?

I've used a Redbird, and it was a positive experience.  I have yet to get my home based simulator (X-Plane) working well, but this is probably more a function of how much time I have spent on it.  --I guess I need to turn my teenager loose on it. 

Microsoft Flight Simulator X is a decent representation for instrument training if your shooting for an off the shelf solution.

X-plane has better flight models, but for instrument flight / procedures, that is kind of irrelevant, and the MSFSX models are more than accurate enough to fit the role IMHO.

Carenado makes a M20J model that's pretty nice. A Garmin 430W can be purchased as an add on that uses the actual garmin trainer software. I still use it (FSX) to chair fly new (to me) routes in 8x or 16x speed.

I have used various versions of the Microsoft flight simulator since 1986. It makes an excellent brain trainer, procedure trainer and otherwise good device to practice the mental aspects of flying...

The more recent versions of the trainer have "lessons" and tools to measure performance.

They have many planes to select from. I think I am using a TLS Bravo with a matching instrument panel very similar to my own, accept a Garmin navigator.

My most recent simulated flights were from NJ to Key west, with one stop for Fuel. The IFR procedures age with time, but still work well.

Overall they are a good supplement for training and practice for multi-tasking and memory skills. If your skills are not up to the task, there is a simulated autopilot. If you are running out of time, you can increases the sims rate 2X+++.

Flying the MS sim will help improve your brain skills and point out some challenges you may be having. Of course, if you can fly a plane, you can fly a sim. Flying the sim does not qualify you for flying real planes. Close, but not what the FAA wants.

For IFR training, you know how to fly already. Using a sim to follow procedures is great mental exercise.

My thoughts, ymmv. I am not recommending using a MSFT in place of training.

Happy Easter, Best regards,

-a-

Find a Redbird simulator with an instructor...approaches and other training in this sim can be logged.  I did five approaches in the 172 version of the sim (as it has steam gauges like my plane)...but I forgot how slow the 172 is compared to a Mooney.  For home use, I use MS Flight Sim X....

I use Microsoft FSX along with Flight 1's G1000 simulator to familiarize myself with unfamiliar approaches and to stay sharp on G1000 ops. Can't log any of it but it really has improved my G1000 proficiency. I also use the CH Products yoke and throttle quadrant. Never bothered with rudder pedals because they never felt realistic in FSX.

One of the flying clubs at my airport has a G1000 Redbird that I'm going to go see this week.

I used Redbird at the flightschool for IFR training and bought enough stuff to set up a flight sim at home. It helps me I can plan the flight and fly the plan befre I go to become familiar with the flight. I have a cheaper setup at home, Microsoft X which I feel is good enough to get a preview of the flight. I do think its important to get the instruments, radios, yoke, pedals and throttle quad. Peckin on keyboard to manipulate the sim will not help much. so get all the hardware you can. Goflight makes about anything you would want but its pricey Saitek makes cheaper stuff but it does work.

"Carenado makes a M20J model that's pretty nice. A Garmin 430W can be purchased as an add on that uses the actual garmin trainer software. I still use it (FSX) to chair fly new (to me) routes in 8x or 16x speed. "

For the last number of years I've been using the above setup along with RealityXP's 430/530 WAAS and Flight Line T gauges which includes several autopilots. (I use the Stec30 which is what's in our plane.) I also have Saitek's yoke/throttle quadrant, but prefer using an old Microsoft forced feedback joystick that I've had for years. (I'd sell the Saitek so if someone's interested email or PM me.)

I mostly use this setup to fly approaches and have found Carenado's M20J approach speeds/power setting to be very simular to my M20F.

I could have started this thread. I was wondering the same thing, though being a hardcore linux user, I'm going to try FlightGear instead. I was thinking about using the Saitek stuff (yoke, throttle, pedals, etc.)

For those of you that have done this, did you use a single monitor or multiple? (I know, I know... it's IMC. Except I think it'd be cool to have an out-the-window view and a separate screen for the virtual instruments).

I use the ASA on top simluator.  It is pretty good and you can change some of the insturmnent adn plane configurations with it.  I have the Saitek yoke, throttle with it.  You can donwlad a trial version as well.

They also have an insturment prep simulator but I found it a PIA to use so I just use the on top.

ASA has cut out all the pretty graphics on the gorund since in IMC you cannot see that anyway.

A lot more feedback than I was anticipating!  It sounds like most everyone is using the sims in a similar fashion as my intention.  Since I operate on both Windows and Mac, I was planning on using the latest version of x-plane and I'm still trying to decide on the controls.  The Carenado 201 will be a must even though it will be a little more slippery than my C model.  If / when I get this all setup I'll post some pictures and reviews...

Anyone use a real radio stack connected to the pc? Its easier than tuning software buttons on the flightsim screen. But all the ones I looked at were very expensive. Any moderately cheap ones out there, say in the 500$ range?

I have X-Plane on my Mac, and use the Carenado J as well as the older "free" version of a J you can get on the X-plane.org website.  The Carenado is fine but a bit buggy in X-Plane 10. For example, the HSI will not synch to the GPS track when the CDI button is set to GPS.  And as it turns out, the panel on the free J is much closer to my actual panel, with an S-TEC 55 and altitude preselect, so that I can practice IFR technique with much the same method as I use in the real plane.

I have been using X-Plane 9.0 to supplement my instrument training, and like a few here, I also use Reality XP's Garmin 530 simulator, which I find as close to the real thing as possible. I also figured out a way to copy the software updates that I download for my GTN-750 to the Reality simulator so the procedures and terrain data are totally up to date on the simulator.

I also use Carendo's M20J software but find that some aspects of it don't work the same way as the real thing. I especially have problems with pitch management to the point where I can't hand fly it and have to use the autopilot (S-TEC 55) to maintain altitude and adjust for descents. I'm not sure if it's my copy, configuration or PC, but no matter what I do to the setup the Saitek yoke is overly sensitive and pulling back or pushing forward even slightly will peg the VSI beyond 2000fpm. It's been very frustrating. I also found some add-on software which mimics my panel almost identically, right down to the King 525 and KX 155's.

For supplemental training or just trying to figure things out with the ability to hit the Pause button, I think today's crop of simulator software is very useful and is well worth the small investment.

Anyone use a real radio stack connected to the pc? Its easier than tuning software buttons on the flightsim screen. But all the ones I looked at were very expensive. Any moderately cheap ones out there, say in the 500$ range?

I used the Elite simulator for my IR training together with their radio stack. The stack is compatible with FSX, but not X-plane. Unfortunately it is quite expensive. I bought the GNS430, KX155 and Heading Bug module, IMHO that's all you need to practice IFR. I installed the Carenado Mooney together with the 430 and Aspen, so I have my real panel for training. Only drawback: The Aspen doesn't display the programmed routes from the 430 and AutoCourse doesn't work.

Additional hardware is a Precision Flight Controls stick, Saitek engine controls, Rudder padels and switch panel. Especially the engine controls are worth the money.

http://www.flyelite.ch/en/products/hardware_avionics.php

http://flypfc.com/?/products/yokes/cirrus-mooney-yoke/

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/tpm.html

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/switch.html

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=fsaspen

http://www.reality-xp.com/flightsim/gns430/index.html

Edit: I just saw that the Elite modules are cheaper now, the GNS430 is US$380,-. With the heading bug module it is US$ 630,- total.

I used the Elite simulator for my IR training together with their radio stack. The stack is compatible with FSX, but not X-plane. Unfortunately it is quite expensive. I bought the GNS430, KX155 and Heading Bug module, IMHO that's all you need to practice IFR.

Personally, I think all of that stuff is overkill. Instrument training to me is not touching and turning the actual radio dials but making sure that the course and altitude is correct, the approach is loaded properly and executed cleanly and that your situational awareness is spot on.

Personally, I think all of that stuff is overkill. Instrument training to me is not touching and turning the actual radio dials but making sure that the course and altitude is correct, the approach is loaded properly and executed cleanly and that your situational awareness is spot on.

You are right that the important part is to make sure everything is set correct, but I want to do the procedures like the way I do them when flying for real. That even means setting the cowl flaps, switching the fuel pump, adjusting mixture and prop etc. without hitting a pause button to fumble with the mouse. During my IR training it helped me a lot, I was able to concentrate on flying and scanning the instruments while setting frequencies, loading approaches etc. went automatically and only needed little attention to make sure it is set correct. Practicing the same procedures over and over again gives me the good feeling that I don't forget someting.

Using a flight simulator with a "real" heading bug and course selector as well as the GNS430 makes a big difference for me.

• Like 1