Tire Reviews

jkb458

I've searched through the forums but cannot find much info on what brands of tires work better on the vintage Mooneys.  I thought that other new Mooney owners (like me) might also be interested in this topic.  I am close to needing to replace my tires and would like to make an informed choice rather than just throwing darts...

Could you post your experiences with the current tires on your vintage Mooney?  Would you buy the same brand again?

Also, I see that there are tube-type and tubeless tires.  Any preference?  Pros/cons of both types?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Goodyear Flight Custom III, along with goodyear tubes...They cost a bit more but are IMO the best tires you can buy.  Link below is a good source of tire info.

Also, one word of caution...Don't skimp on the tubes.  Great tires with tubes that don't hold PSI are next to worthless.  If budget is an issue, I'd buy hight quaility tubes (goodyear or Michelin) and put a budget tire on over them.

http://www.sacskyranch.com/faqaircrafttire.htm

There is a pretty good tire discussion on our forum titled "retreads".   I started it.  After some research, I did wind up with Goodyear Flight Custom III's.  Aircraft Spruce, at that time, had the best price [i'm just up the CA coast from LA so not too much of a UPS charge].  Incidentally I have had no issues with nose tire clearance. 

The initial set of Flight Customs I purchased and installed were out of round.  I pulled them, sent them back and got another set.  They were much better.  My brother-in-law had the same experience.  Strange indeed for the most expensive and best tire on the market, I thought.   Makes one wonder a bit though.

I spoke to the Goodyear warranty rep. at Oshkosh regarding my situation.  He did admit that there had been several warranty claims due to the same problem I had, but he offered no resolution. 

Condor tire -- new/not a retread/no wheel well fit issues. And they are cheap. I have had a condor on one main and a goodyear on the other for some time now and the cheaper condor is holding up great.

Pony up and spend money on the Michellin Airstop tube though. They just don't leak. Maybe I'll have to top off the MLG once a year. The nosewheel (which does not have an airstop) needs to be topped off once a month or even more often to maintain proper inflation and prop clearance.

I installed three Michelin Air tires and three Michelin Airstop tubes on 1/31/04. They have racked up somewhere around 600 landings since that time. I estimate they have about 20% of their usable tread remaining. They show no damage due to age or exposure. I'm satisfied with this combination.

The advice I was given when I bought these tires is that on low-ish use airplanes, tires are as often worn out by the elements as they are by use (or abuse). The Michelin Air (and Goodyear Flight Custom, I believe) are advertised as being made from rubber more resistant to the elements as well as to use. Using the newer type of tubes (such as the Michelin Airstop brand) was a no-brainer. I add air to the tires perhaps once between annual inspections.

I noticed a while ago that the Michelin tires have gone up a lot in price, though.

Agree with Immel.  Condor's are, I think, essentially Michelin Aviator's but $72 each vs. $118.  I can't see how MA's are $46 better, and I certainly don't see why FC III's are $86 or more than 100% more valuable.  I'd certainly appreciate any input to better my understanding of light aircraft tire technology, though...GK

• 1 year later...

Quote: Mitch

There is a pretty good tire discussion on our forum titled "retreads".   I started it.  After some research, I did wind up with Goodyear Flight Custom III's.  Aircraft Spruce, at that time, had the best price [i'm just up the CA coast from LA so not too much of a UPS charge].  Incidentally I have had no issues with nose tire clearance. 

The initial set of Flight Customs I purchased and installed were out of round.  I pulled them, sent them back and got another set.  They were much better.  My brother-in-law had the same experience.  Strange indeed for the most expensive and best tire on the market, I thought.   Makes one wonder a bit though.

I spoke to the Goodyear warranty rep. at Oshkosh regarding my situation.  He did admit that there had been several warranty claims due to the same problem I had, but he offered no resolution. 

I put new Condor's on last annual.

Three months ago I landed and, for an unknown reason to myself, tried to make taxiway delta with 3 people and a lot of fuel. My still almost new tires turned into Fred Flintstone looking flat sided blocks.

If you're going to spend the money on expensive tires, don't try to make delta. Echo is not that much further.

If you do chose the Michelin tube, here is another recent experience I've had.  I assisted a friend change tires/tube on his Mooney.  He chose the the Michelin set up, tubes/tire sized per his particular aircraft. 

As we found out during installation, the tube stems for the mains were tappered in a fashion that would not allow full insertion through the hole in the wheel.  We could not use them.  Very strange.

I don't know the outcome of this mystery as of yet, but will post it when I do know.