Fuel sight gauge condensation -fix needed

Hello from the UK to the collective expertise of the forum.

I've a '67 F with the wing fuel tank sight gauges installed. I've attached a picture of the healthy one (just in case they come in different variations). Problem is that a little rainwater has leaked into one of the guages and causes annoying condensation to form inside the perspex making it difficult to see what the gauge is reading.

My basic question is- what is the solution to this? Is it possible to remove the perspex face of the gauge without destroying it (and if it is how is that best done?) What will lie beneath? will there be a seal that I  need to replace for a new one (and where might I get one) or will I be able to open it, dry it and re-install the face with fresh silicone (or other) sealant to prevent water getting in there in the first place.

In short -any tips or solving this minor problem. I thought Id ask rather than simply set about it with a screwdriver without knowing what i am letting myself in for!

I hope Im not covering old ground. I did do a search for this. Looks like Don Maxwell had an article on this but the link to the article seems now to have been removed now.

Thanks for your time!!

Justin Carter

post-19154-13468141166906_thumb.jpg

Justin,

Good question....,

Unfortunately, the answer I know, is quick, low cost replacement.

My plane lives outside, so water in the gauge is somewhat expected...

I forgot to hold on to the old ones to try and dry them out.  

They come out easily enough.  

I hope this gets you closer to a real answer...

Best regards,

-a-

I don't know if it's possible/practical to remove the "glass", dry out, and replace, but the gauge itself is cheap (under $50, IIRC) and easy to replace--just pop it out, put in a new one, and secure it with silicone sealant.

OK- thanks folks for replies (including the tip about cross posting!)....

Perhaps Im being a bit dim but when it comes to 'popping' out the old gauge -is it as simple as prying it out with a flat screwdriver ie lifting the edge of the glass?

and where can I buy a new gauge?

Thanks for taking time for a set of rather novice questions!!

Justin

Your favorite Mooney Service Center would be able to get the gauges for you--LASAR in CA is pretty popular for parts here in the states; I'm not sure who your best option would be locally (or if you'd just have it shipped over from here instead).  The gauges themselves are just held in with silicone sealant, so yes, it should be as simple as prying it out with a screwdriver or an icepick.  If it takes very much force to move, something's probably wrong.

In case it is not obvious from the responses, the gauge works from a magnetic impulse, so there is no connection between the gauge and the depression it sits in, other than silicone. Pry out the old one, scrape the silicone out, apply new silicone and push it in place. Use masking tape to hold in place while silicone sets up. There is even a little

Thanks everyone. Dan and Don- now I understand! The display is magnetically coupled to the float in the tank. I checked with lasar and they have stock at 50 dollars a piece.

Ill get some ordered and flip the wet one(s) out!

Thanks for your help.

As for the post about their accuracy- I find them great. The gauges in panel are cr*p and the sight gauges are simple, reliable and easy to see, in flight and on the ground.

Justin