Kalifornia

As the State with the highest GDP in the Country (in fact would be the world's 5th largest economy if it were its own country) this is the sort of thing that will spur action nationally. Maybe we will see some accepted UL standard alignment amongst the engine manufacturers, Aircraft manufacturers and the FAA and finally a new, universally approved UL fuel for everyone.

Of course, then the NIMBY'S will have to find another excuse to shut down our GA airports... maybe we'll just come back to noise?

2 minutes ago, NickG said:

As the State with the highest GDP in the Country (in fact would be the world's 5th largest economy if it were its own country) this is the sort of thing that will spur action nationally.

I wonder how proportionate the distribution of GA is to CA, by either population, land area, or GDP. It might be another spur to out-migration of those who can still afford GA electively. The same people who can afford to leave and leave due to large total tax burden, etc. 

In terms of "working GA", I do sincerely wonder what they'll do... The elites will mostly be burning Jet A and probably don't give a rip, or can pay the nuisance taxes. Though the other NIMBY factors will continue to nip at their heels (noise as you say). 

1 hour ago, dkkim73 said:

I wonder how proportionate the distribution of GA is to CA, by either population, land area, or GDP. It might be another spur to out-migration of those who can still afford GA electively. The same people who can afford to leave and leave due to large total tax burden, etc. 

In terms of "working GA", I do sincerely wonder what they'll do... The elites will mostly be burning Jet A and probably don't give a rip, or can pay the nuisance taxes. Though the other NIMBY factors will continue to nip at their heels (noise as you say). 

I would suspect that there is significant crop dusting and other aerial crop & farming work in Kalifornia . . . Some will be burning kerosene, but likely not all.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out between the State, and the Federal Government which claims overriding authority on all matters aviation. 

• Like 1

The End Aviation Gasoline Lead Emissions (EAGLE) initiative has been given until 2030 to come up with a drop-in replacement fuel that completely satisfies the fuel requirements for piston aircraft.

So .... if they can't find one, then what? How much funding do they have? Does the group work with Lycoming, continental, gami?

It sounds like an initiative to simply try to regulate the potentially impossible.

1 hour ago, Joshua Blackh4t said:

The End Aviation Gasoline Lead Emissions (EAGLE) initiative has been given until 2030 to come up with a drop-in replacement fuel that completely satisfies the fuel requirements for piston aircraft.

So .... if they can't find one, then what? How much funding do they have? Does the group work with Lycoming, continental, gami?

It sounds like an initiative to simply try to regulate the potentially impossible.

We may not be as accustomed to it here but, in most of the world, goods or services that can't be traded easily in the "official" economy still get traded in an ad hoc "unofficial" economy.  I wouldn't be surprised to see avgas being transported in the back of pickup trucks in 50-gallon drums until the forces opposed to G100UL are told to take a seat and STFU.  Some guy on BT has already posted the availability of drums of 100UL.  It's not a very economical way to buy it, but if it is the only way to fly, some will do it.

SB 1193 states that the ban will begin Jan first 2026 for “disadvantaged” communities and 2028 for “urban growth” communities.  And these definitions can be very subjective.  Once again we are forcing with mandates before the solution is completely ready for prime time.  2026 that’s less than two years from now.  I have spent my entire life in California and have seen so many regulations forced upon us by the air resources board.  It started many years ago with spare the air days making it illegal to have a fire in your fire place when they decided it was a bad day and not just in the summer but on winter days when the air was just fine.  Recommend no BBQ no operation of gas tools and as of last year many gas powered tools are now banned.  New homes for the most part must be all electric and if any of you haven’t experienced the cost of E service in CA you would be floored.  Be VERY careful what you wish for because these restrictions will be coming soon to your state especially if a certain former Cali senator becomes our next president.  Don’t believe a word she says.  I have lived it.  I can remember when the California summer blends came out for auto gas and quite a few retailers just stopped selling in the state.  Can’t remember the last time I saw a Texaco or union 76 or BP chevron is checking out and moving to Texas.  If the unleaded is still not ready we might not have any suppliers willing to sell in this state.  Yes unleaded worked well for auto and other vehicles but not until manufacturers updated their engines.  Just think of the log jam if all our cylinders have to be modified or replaced with hardened seats.  Just saying be careful what you wish for.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bonal said:

SB 1193 states that the ban will begin Jan first 2026 for “disadvantaged” communities and 2028 for “urban growth” communities.  And these definitions can be very subjective.  Once again we are forcing with mandates before the solution is completely ready for prime time.  2026 that’s less than two years from now.  I have spent my entire life in California and have seen so many regulations forced upon us by the air resources board.  It started many years ago with spare the air days making it illegal to have a fire in your fire place when they decided it was a bad day and not just in the summer but on winter days when the air was just fine.  Recommend no BBQ no operation of gas tools and as of last year many gas powered tools are now banned.  New homes for the most part must be all electric and if any of you haven’t experienced the cost of E service in CA you would be floored.  Be VERY careful what you wish for because these restrictions will be coming soon to your state especially if a certain former Cali senator becomes our next president.  Don’t believe a word she says.  I have lived it.  I can remember when the California summer blends came out for auto gas and quite a few retailers just stopped selling in the state.  Can’t remember the last time I saw a Texaco or union 76 or BP chevron is checking out and moving to Texas.  If the unleaded is still not ready we might not have any suppliers willing to sell in this state.  Yes unleaded worked well for auto and other vehicles but not until manufacturers updated their engines.  Just think of the log jam if all our cylinders have to be modified or replaced with hardened seats.  Just saying be careful what you wish for.

One of the many reasons I left in 1990 after 40 years.

• Like 2

It’s going to pass. They have a veto proof 2/3rds majority. Vetoing it would be a useless protest vote with no political benefit to the governor (which is always his top priority). I lived in CA for many years and return annually to play in the mountains. I love the state but recognized early on that there were better alternatives for me. I think this will suck for Californians but their pain will benefit the rest of the country. There is currently no economic incentive to switch to a the only available alternative (G100UL). I have no faith that the EAGLE initiative will produce a solution in the next 6 years.  So California airports will likely have one option in the forseable future and that is to offer G100UL at existing pumps. California pilots will have to get the STC or tanker fuel from surrounding states, a hassle and expense that only a devoted ideologue would pursue.

So Californians will be early adopters by mandate. The rest of the country will see some economy from  that early adoption.

What’s interesting is that I have not seen much in the way of data that shows the damage from 100LL. We all know lead is bad to ingest but in terms of aeroengine exhaust, I’ve seen very little to suggest it’s causing a problem.

California pilots bought 12,382,902 gallons 100LL in 2023. That represents ~54,600lbs of lead disbursed into the atmosphere. Reads like a lot but it works out to .41 grams a day per square mile. That would likely amount to a rounding error in the days of leaded auto fuel. Furthermore, it’s also the lowest volume of Avgas sold in CA in the last 10 years which I’d bet is lower than the previous 10.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

What’s interesting is that I have not seen much in the way of data that shows the damage from 100LL. We all know lead is bad to ingest but in terms of aeroengine exhaust, I’ve seen very little to suggest it’s causing a problem.

No one needs data anymore, that only comes from useless, overpriced studies that no one understands except maybe the authors. Avgas contains lead, and that's bad for the children, so it must go away!

Lead, plastic bags, (functional) plastic straws, even cars that burn gasoline--all must go away, so that everyone suffers the same inconveniences. If it's pleasant, fun or useful, it must be replaced with "stuff" that will only be invented under pressure, and brought hurriedly to market without useless studies that shows that the new alternatives work at all, or that they are any better for the environment, the children or the economy.

• Like 3