Don’t get a Saratoga!

On 8/2/2024 at 9:58 PM, Ragsf15e said:

Since this is kind of a random thread, I don’t feel bad asking random questions… are you lean of peak at 14.7gph and 167 knots?  What altitude?  What would your Ovation do around 10,000’ lean of peak?  How much fuel will you plan for on a 525nm xc?  45 plus 15 (reserve ) for 60 total?

167 knots is 65% power and ROP from about 7500-11,500.  I am just finishing breaking this engine in so used to ROP.  Going to try 65% and 55% LOP next.  The new IO 550 G is supposed to have “tuned” injectors so 25-30 degrees LOP should be fine I’m guessing.  We’ll see. For 525 nm that sounds about right.  Up to almost 12,000’….higher is faster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, William Munney said:

167 knots is 65% power and ROP from about 7500-11,500.  I am just finishing breaking this engine in so used to ROP.  Going to try 65% and 55% LOP next.  The new IO 550 G is supposed to have “tuned” injectors so 25-30 degrees LOP should be fine I’m guessing.  We’ll see. For 525 nm that sounds about right.  Up to almost 12,000’….higher is faster.

Ahh, makes sense if you’re breaking it in.  Another Ovation owner PM’d me and said they get ~167knots on 12.5 gph when lop ~10,000.  That’s awesome range.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ragsf15e said:

Ahh, makes sense if you’re breaking it in.  Another Ovation owner PM’d me and said they get ~167knots on 12.5 gph when lop ~10,000.  That’s awesome range.

That might be.  Mine is a FIKI airplane so 5-8 knots slower.  I think the LOP advertised range with standard tanks is 1100-1200 nm.  I can’t sit that long so max range isn’t t an issue.  But I can sit for 3-4 hours and you can get a ton of places in the Ovation in that amount of time.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 5:41 PM, EricJ said:

To me the main advantage of airplanes like an A36 or Saratoga is the ability to easily throw a lot of crap, like bicycles or something, in them.   

Lot's of good bike rental shops in the places I take the Mooney!  Also, I don't have to load a bike into an airplane!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ttflyer said:

Lot's of good bike rental shops in the places I take the Mooney!  Also, I don't have to load a bike into an airplane!

In the southwest some of the places you fly to may not have other people, let alone bike rental.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, EricJ said:

In the southwest some of the places you fly to may not have other people, let alone bike rental.  ;)

In the Southeast, too, unless you're under a Bravo . . . . I'm generally out in the boonies, and usually alone.

• Like 1