Skytec starter 149 NL high torque model question

Curious to know has anyone else had to replace the shear pin in skytec starter 149 NL high torque inline model?

I think I just had mine fail on me . And left me stranded . If I recall correctly I have to remove the dreaded lower cowl . I didn’t notice anything abnormal it is just spinning when I try to start. 

TIA  

James ‘67c

If it is the shear pin, there's usually a spare one glued under the flange.   If you take the starter off it'll be right underneath the starter.   

• Like 1

Had to replace that shear pin on the same starter a few years ago.  The starter would spin but wouldn't engage the ring gear.  Don't recall anything abnormal that precipitated the event.  It just sheared.  There were two spares RTV'd under the base housing, like you're gonna need these some day.  

After getting the starter on the bench you'll need to drive the remains of the pin out of the shaft and gear, then press in a new pin.

I got lucky that it occurred at my hangar before a pleasure flight, not away from home.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Update:  I was able to have someone hand prop the airplane to get me back home and now it's a part in the Hangar:).

The thought of having to remove the starter on the open ramp area haunts me to the core a logistics nightmare .

I think the last person to remove the starter must have been the Engine overhaul shop ~12 years ago.

Be honest  I don't remember every having to remove a starter, other than removing the old OEM  Prestolite  starter when  I  installed the SkyTec starter about ~20 + years ago.

I still remember having to have to remove the dreaded  lower engine cowl, with me it's  always seems to be a hour 3 to 4 hour dirty job and makes me cringe every time I have to remove it.

Could I get a sanity check please ..... all kidding a side,

There is no way of removing a  SKyTec NL-149 high torque Starter from a 1967 M20C (O360-A1D)  without having to removing the lower Cowl is this correct?

Or is there some glaring obvious way of  removal of the starter without having to remove the lower cowl? That either years of  experience  or wisdom or special  tool(s),that I am not aware of that people know of?  That would make job go by quicker and easier or a way to make me work smarter out there?

Only one of  the 4  mounting bolt/nuts was fairly easy to remove once the lower cowl was removed. The link bolt that ties the starter to alternator was self explanatory. I may have loosen the bolt while the lower cowl was still installed. But the 3 remaining nuts I had to use a 1/2" crows foot  3/8" drive to break them loose. Once the 3 remaining mounting nuts were loose just took a lot of time and patience from there. 

Thanks again for parting with your wisdom and sharing your experiences with me.

James '67C

• Like 1