What items live in your baggage compartment?

Posted (edited)

Hat rack: screwdriver, dip stick, gatz jar, plexus, rag, small plastic box with oil spout, 2x foil emergency blankets, original poh (digital copy for real use on iPad), pack of gallon hefty bags, roll of paper towels

Baggage: tow bar, chocks, cowl plugs, pitot cover, and canopy cover (when not on the ground), quart of oil

I keep life jackets and a tool bag in the baggage most of the time unless I’m pressed for space or weight. Some items in the tool bag include safety wire, tape, spark plug, fuel drain sump, zip ties.

I used to keep a baggage organizer and more permanent items. But over the years they would accumulate, add weight, and not be used. I haven’t had the need for the just in case items so I discontinued carrying them. Such as rope, handheld radio, cleaning supplies, and the kitchen sink.

Edited by 201er
  • Thanks 1

Hat rack: plexus, clean rag, paper towels, spare headsets

Baggage: tool kit in a 4-inch-high suitcase (w/spare spark plug), sidewinder power tug, dry bag w/emergence supplies (water filter, signal mirror, spare clothes), Bruce's cover, Plastic shoe box w/ oil and an oil filler shutoff, hand tow bar

Cabin: In winter I keep the dry bag behind the pilot seat.  Most of my flying crosses the Sierra Navada mountains, in the winter a frozen lake might be the best option for an off field landing.  I want my best options to survive the off field and not freeze to death.  handheld radio,

Neck string under shirt(so I don't have to find in a rough landing): Spot, pulse O2, small emergency led light

• Hat rack-
  • Gats Jar
  • Lady J (never been used)
  • Spare headset
  • Spare nose wheel tube
  • All Kleer
  • Small water bottles
  • Cotton cloth
  • First aid kit.  

Baggage-

• Soft tool box 
  • 75’ Polypropylene rope

Reading this has inspired me to get an organizer for the baggage area and remove some of the potential projectiles from the hat rack.

1 hour ago, 201er said:

Hat rack: dip stick, gatz jar, plexus, rag, small plastic box with oil spout, 2x foil emergency blankets, original poh (digital copy for real use on iPad), pack of gallon hefty bags, roll of paper towels

Baggage: tow bar, chocks, cowl plugs, pitot cover, and canopy cover (when not on the ground), quart of oil

I keep life jackets and a tool bag in the baggage most of the time unless I’m pressed for space or weight. Some items in the tool bag include safety wire, tape, spark plug, fuel drain sump, zip ties.

I used to keep a baggage organizer and more permanent items. But over the years they would accumulate, add weight, and not be used. I haven’t had the need for the just in case items so I discontinued carrying them. Such as rope, handheld radio, cleaning supplies, and the kitchen sink.

That’s a good extensive list, but you’ve got to have a good screwdriver with different bits, a 3/8 stubby wrench, and a small pair of pliers… you’ve probably got those in there, no?  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

That’s a good extensive list, but you’ve got to have a good screwdriver with different bits, a 3/8 stubby wrench, and a small pair of pliers… you’ve probably got those in there, no?  

I forgot to mention the screw driver. Multi tip screw driver is a permanent resident of hat rack. Everything else is in the most-of-the-time tool kit in the baggage compartment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 201er said:

I forgot to mention the screw driver. Multi tip screw driver is a permanent resident of hat rack. Everything else is in the most-of-the-time tool kit in the baggage compartment.

I too have a multi tip, but I moved it from the hat rack to the tool kit as it would become a flying shank in the case of a sudden deceleration

• Like 1

Hat rack - Gats jar, microfiber cloths, travel john(s), funnel, cowl plugs, pitot cover

Baggage area - tow bar, chocks, 1 or 2 qts of Phillips XC 20w50, Cam Guard, 50’ of tie down rope, tool pouch, plane cover. 

Has anyone actually used their baggage rope?? I’ve been flying with it for a decade and never needed it unexpectedly. I only bring rope when I expect to need it. Haven’t had trouble finding tie down at most airports. I only bring rope going somewhere really remote or unattended.

My baggage organizer was becoming unreasonably heavy with all the “just in case” or “couldn’t hurt” to bring kind of stuff. It was gradually growing but lately I’ve slimmed down based on experience.

Hat rack: cover, cowl plugs, pitot cover, small kneepad (for sumping tanks - saves pants knees).

Main: survival gear (I fly over a lot of inhospitable terrain), tie down kit, plastic box containing GATS jar, travel chocks, 2 qts oil, air pressure gauge, tube of waterless hand soap, rags, plastic polish and microfiber cloths, screw driver with interchangeable bits, crescent wrench.

30 minutes ago, 201er said:

Has anyone actually used their baggage rope?? I’ve been flying with it for a decade and never needed it unexpectedly. I only bring rope when I expect to need it. Haven’t had trouble finding tie down at most airports. I only bring rope going somewhere really remote or unattended.

My baggage organizer was becoming unreasonably heavy with all the “just in case” or “couldn’t hurt” to bring kind of stuff. It was gradually growing but lately I’ve slimmed down based on experience.

My rope is still in the shrink wrap…

53 minutes ago, 201er said:

I have actually had to use my tie down ropes on two occasions, and both times it was not really what would be considered “out in the boonies”. 

17 minutes ago, hubcap said:

I have actually had to use my tie down ropes on two occasions, and both times it was not really what would be considered “out in the boonies”. 

Me, too. I must be slumming it; while the rings or cables are there the chains/ropes were missing.

1 hour ago, MikeOH said:

@PT20J

I'm curious what you carry as survival gear.

Food
•    2 qts water
•    18 LARA Bars
•    Water filter + 1 liter bag
•    Water purification tablets
Shelter
•    2 Aluminized survival suits
•    1 pr gloves
•    Wool cap
•    Tent
Utility
•    Duct tape
•    Parachute chord
•    Fire starter sticks + matches
•    2 Butane lighters
•    String
•    Sharpening stone
•    Notepad + pencil
•    Kleenex
•    Soap
•    Saw
•    Leatherman
•    Knife
•    Mini Maglite
•    Compass
•    GPS
•    PLB
•    4 AA batteries
•    2 Sierra cups
•    Butane stove + 2 canisters
•    Survival manual
First Aid Kit
Signalling
•    4 Flares
•    3 Smoke flares
•    4 Aerial flares
•    3 whistles
•    2 Signaling mirrors

I also have a Garmin inReach Messenger and a handheld VHF nav/com in the airplane. I really want a lot of ways to call someone to come get me. I figure giving up 30 lbs of useful load is protective because I've never had to use it!

• Thanks 2

hat rack : gatz jar, pitot cover, random towels, trip log, tire pressure gauge, spare shirt( just in case )

hangar : couple pair of headsets

baggage : tool box, with 3 quarts oil, screw drivers, speed tape, wrench, vice grips, etc...., tow bar, chocks, tie down straps, rope,  blankets

All sounds good, I like nothing on the hatrack that can turn into a lethal projectile, I keep a little John range extender bottle behind the pilot seat, you always know where it is

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 201er said:

I keep a set of cargo tie down straps for tie downs.  I don’t go anywhere too remote and yet I’ve used them several times.  KEAT has no tie downs, wtf?  They aren’t the strongest but they work in a pinch.

7 hours ago, PT20J said:

I also have a Garmin inReach Messenger and a handheld VHF nav/com in the airplane. I really want a lot of ways to call someone to come get me. I figure giving up 30 lbs of useful load is protective because I've never had to use it!

I was reading your list and wondering how much weight you were using up! :D   I have probably 1/2 or a 1/3 of what you have, but also have an inReach and a HH.  inReach clips to  the door (and is already on so I can hit the SOS if I need to).  But the basics are in a funny old vest with lots of pockets that is on the back of my seat so that it can be grabbed on the  way out the door if there's a fire and I can't get to anything else.  So no tent, but a couple of tarps and line to create a shelter and wait.

Well...  Actually the vest is at home while I'm getting rid of some old stuff and putting in new.  Guess I should finish that project before the planes out of the Annual.

I've had to use my tie down ropes several times the last few years.  It's been at places you wouldn't really expect. 

Once in Sedona, Arizona, a very busy ramp.  I think I parked in the only spot that was missing its chains or ropes - but it was one of the few spots available, which may have been why nobody was parked there.

Same thing in Knoxville, TN.  Got one of the last open spots, but its ropes had gone missing.  No problem since I had my own.

Gunnison, CO had hooks set into the asphalt, but no ropes.  The hooks were full of hard frozen ice so I couldn't use them anyways, but the FBO was nice enough to triple chock the plane.

The Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas ramp has cable running across it for tying down, but I didn't see any ropes or chains to hook it to.  I didn't stay, but if I did, I would have had to use my ropes.  It's a campground so maybe that's to be expected.

I keep the ropes in a soft camera bag that zips closed, so they take up very little space or weight.

• Like 1

Similar to what other says.  A couple of things.

I consider anything on hat shelf or baggage area as only accessible on the ground.

I have had to use my tie down straps.  They are from Sporty's or Spruce.  Ratchet straps in a bag.  A Claw if I think I will need it.

I use Cam Guard.  I put 1.6 ounces of Cam Guard in each oil bottle I carry in the airplane.  Unless I am very near an oil change, then I will top up with straight oil.

Survival gear in the back may as well be in the hangar.  Fine if you have a smooth landing off airport, but if there is fire, you will not have time to get your stuff out of the back.  Best is on your body (survival vest).  Next best is bag on back seat you can grab on your way our.

I use Travel Johns, and keep a few in the seat back pocket for easy access.

I am adding one of the light weight tugs from Bernie.

6 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

I use Cam Guard.  I put 1.6 ounces of Cam Guard in each oil bottle I carry in the airplane.  Unless I am very near an oil change, then I will top up with straight oil.

That is a great idea. I'm trying to figure out when to add Cam Guard and how much, on the fly. Your solution is better. 

(Vest comment also noted, was my first reaction on a thread a few months ago, and Junkman sent me info on his load-out. You... it's almost like you've thought about being forced down before... ;))

Edited by dkkim73
Funny comment

In addition, I take 3.2 ounces (two quarts worth) out of each Cam Guard bottle, so it is ready to add at an oil change (8 quarts for me).

And I mark the bottles with Cam Guard added with CG written on the flat near the neck with a Sharpie.

• Like 1

Interesting lists above. I carry one quart of oil, a fuel tester, a bottle of CamGuard, and a little funnel in a little plastic bin - that’s my whole hat rack. The baggage area is just the towbar, and sun shades if I’ll need them. I’m very defensive of extra stuff in the plane, and I offload anything that isn’t going to be needed for a flight. 

As others mentioned above, I carry an InReach Messenger 2 in my flight bag, as well as a handheld transceiver. The InReach is powered on and clipped to the handhold on the copilot side when airborne. The transceiver is always within reach.