40:1 Landing gear actuator gears

57 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

That just a quick Google shows proper heat treating is NOT all that straightforward even if you know hardness and depth.

Point being that while I appreciate your efforts in coming up with an alternative I, for one, am going to be VERY cautious about ANY aftermarket gear set.  Many of us are flying older Mooneys which likely would be totaled if gear upped.  While you certainly don't want to fly the old gears to failure, hence the inspections, it would be very painful irony to have replacement gears fail after installation, maybe 100s of hours later, due to fatigue failure even if the teeth are hardened to prevent excessive wear.

Sorry if my critical/cynical nature bothers you but if you plan on building more than one set I doubt that my skepticism is going to be unique.  Seems better to bring it up early in the process rather than later.

No doubt I would love to have a PROVEN alternate to the present unobtainium situation:D

Good luck!

1 hour ago, MikeOH said:

That just a quick Google shows proper heat treating is NOT all that straightforward even if you know hardness and depth.

Point being that while I appreciate your efforts in coming up with an alternative I, for one, am going to be VERY cautious about ANY aftermarket gear set.  Many of us are flying older Mooneys which likely would be totaled if gear upped.  While you certainly don't want to fly the old gears to failure, hence the inspections, it would be very painful irony to have replacement gears fail after installation, maybe 100s of hours later, due to fatigue failure even if the teeth are hardened to prevent excessive wear.

Sorry if my critical/cynical nature bothers you but if you plan on building more than one set I doubt that my skepticism is going to be unique.  Seems better to bring it up early in the process rather than later.

No doubt I would love to have a PROVEN alternate to the present unobtainium situation:D

Good luck!

And what's your suggestion to rectify the problem Mike, do you have anything to contribute to solving the problem?

4 minutes ago, Matthew P said:

And what's your suggestion to rectify the problem Mike, do you have anything to contribute to solving the problem?

THAT is your job, NOT mine.  You are the one coming up with the solution.

I am allowed to question the reliability of ANY alternative that might go in MY aircraft.  Frankly, I'm a little shocked at your animus towards my simply raising concerns.  If you have some cogent argument that they are invalid, I'm all ears.

Here's a post I wrote up regarding a Dukes replacement gear failure some years ago when replacement gears became available.  Apparently the gears received were not heat teated as later told to me by the shop who installed it.

12 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

THAT is your job, NOT mine.  You are the one coming up with the solution.

I am allowed to question the reliability of ANY alternative that might go in MY aircraft.  Frankly, I'm a little shocked at your animus towards my simply raising concerns.  If you have some cogent argument that they are invalid, I'm all ears.

I have the same concerns which is why I'm doing my due diligence, I'm not getting into the manufacturing of these parts, but trying to identify a solution to the problem...sorry for being short, but at this point, if individuals aren't going to contribute to the solution, I really don't care what they have to say or their opinion...as with anything, people are going to have to make their own decision as to what they do and what they use, if this gets off the ground and it becomes a viable solution, then that's an option for individuals like myself that don't want to put the aircraft on jacks, pull the actuator apart, to comply with the AD, just to find that the gears failed the inspection....now I/they find their aircraft AOG with virtually no options for the foreseeable near fufuture.take a gamble and spend $8K for a used actuator with unknown condition of the gears or pay about the same to demod the aircraft to reinstall the J-Bar, IF you can find the parts available to do so...  but thank you for your time, glad this issue doesn't concern you.

5 minutes ago, Matthew P said:

I have the same concerns which is why I'm doing my due diligence, I'm not getting into the manufacturing of these parts, but trying to identify a solution to the problem...sorry for being short, but at this point, if individuals aren't going to contribute to the solution, I really don't care what they have to say or their opinion...as with anything, people are going to have to make their own decision as to what they do and what they use, if this gets off the ground and it becomes a viable solution, then that's an option for individuals like myself that don't want to put the aircraft on jacks, pull the actuator apart, to comply with the AD, just to find that the gears failed the inspection....now I/they find their aircraft AOG with virtually no options for the foreseeable near fufuture.take a gamble and spend $8K for a used actuator with unknown condition of the gears or pay about the same to demod the aircraft to reinstall the J-Bar, IF you can find the parts available to do so...  but thank you for your time, glad this issue doesn't concern you.

Well, posting on a public forum kind of invites others to post their opinions, concerns, and comments whether said "individuals are going to contribute to a solution" or not.  Personally, I'd welcome outside critique if I was developing a product especially if I, myself, was not already an expert in all aspects of that development. To me, that IS contributing to the solution.

As I stated earlier, I am most concerned over this issue! For all the reasons you just outlined.

Again, sorry my posts have so clearly upset you; not my intention.

9 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

Well, posting on a public forum kind of invites others to post their opinions, concerns, and comments whether said "individuals are going to contribute to a solution" or not.  Personally, I'd welcome outside critique if I was developing a product especially if I, myself, was not already an expert in all aspects of that development. To me, that IS contributing to the solution.

As I stated earlier, I am most concerned over this issue! For all the reasons you just outlined.

Again, sorry my posts have so clearly upset you; not my intention.

It's all OK Mike, no harm, no foul...like 2 brothers of the same family...safe travels

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would most definitely like to purchase a set if you manage to get them made. Please let me know! Contact details below.

Rocco Le Roux

M20E 1971

roccoleroux@gmail.com

39 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I would most definitely like to purchase a set if you manage to get them made. Please let me know! Contact details below.

Rocco Le Roux

M20E 1971

roccoleroux@gmail.com

Will put you on the list

• 2 months later...
On 5/17/2024 at 11:24 AM, Matthew P said:

So, to everyone asking for a set, I'm looking into the legalities of such....There are things owners can choose to do in regards to fabricating and substituting parts that are no longer manufactured vs someone who wants to manufacture and sell said replacement parts, with it affecting such a small community, would probably be cost prohibitive to get them PMAd.....so will let you know..worse case, will probably be able to sell the CAD files as they will be working up for both 20:1 and 40:1 gearing...just know there is a need out there and Mooney has been non-responsive to my emails....