1961 M20B specs?

I was looking at a 1961 M20B and was wondering the differences to the C model. I heard that some older C models have 48 gallon tanks instead of 52, is that true of the B model as well (having 48?) Also, are there any downsides in the different variation of the O-360? Does the B model have the same performance as a C model?

I looked at a B model before I bought my E.  Besides the fuel I think they are all pretty much the same for the pre-65 models.  One other big difference between the two is the fully manual flaps in the B model instead of the hydraulic pump in the later models and for those "wimps" :-)))  out there later models even went to electric flaps.

4 gallons does not seem like much but when planning a flight is can make a difference if for nothing else but your reserve.  Of course the 180hp burns fuel slower than the 200hp in mine.

If it is a good airframe, the price is right and has most of the equipment (avionics, standard panel layout what ever) you are looking for then get serious about buying it and good luck.

Quote: kevmor

I was looking at a 1961 M20B and was wondering the differences to the C model. I heard that some older C models have 48 gallon tanks instead of 52, is that true of the B model as well (having 48?) Also, are there any downsides in the different variation of the O-360? Does the B model have the same performance as a C model?

The bigest difference between the B model and the early C models is the B model only has a gross weight of 2450 (which is the same as the wooden wing A models) and the C model is 2575. The C model holds 52 gal but only 48 are usable. In the B model all 48 gal are usable. I have run tanks dry in my B model and found you can use all 48 gal in the tanks. Performance is the same if loaded to the same weight. The B does not have as much rudder travel but have not found that to be a problem even with landing with direct crosswinds of 18+ knots. The B models don't have the rear shelf in the back behind the cargo area. The rear half of the B model airframe including the tail was build using a thicker gauge of aluminum. I think Mooney was real conservative on the gross weight, and the B model was over built to compensate for the bad reputation of the wooden wing A model. I personally like the mechanical flaps over the hydraulic flaps. Their easier to use and there is less problems with them.  

• Like 1