Landing issues

When you back it into the hangar check to see if your rudder is centered when you are going straight back.  If not your nosewheel will be cocked to the side when you land causing a dart to the side when the nosewheel touches the ground.  Solution is to adjust nosewheel steering.

3 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

Point of fact…with nosewheel centered, the rudder shouldn’t be centered,,,it should be about 10 degrees towards the passenger side of the plane

Hmmm. I believe that the nosewheel only swings 11 deg left and 13 deg right. (per SIM20-137). The Service Manual for my M20J calls for the rudder to be offset 1 deg right when the pedals are centered. The steering adjustment only describes where to adjust it, but it would seem that you would want the nosewheel centered when the pedals are centered so that it would track straight. 

Where did you get the 10 deg right figure?

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 9:28 PM, PT20J said:

Hmmm. I believe that the nosewheel only swings 11 deg left and 13 deg right. (per SIM20-137). The Service Manual for my M20J calls for the rudder to be offset 1 deg right when the pedals are centered. The steering adjustment only describes where to adjust it, but it would seem that you would want the nosewheel centered when the pedals are centered so that it would track straight. 

Where did you get the 10 deg right figure?

8103BCCC-5824-4D80-B753-56E10B315101.jpeg

01652562-D17E-47A7-B074-27A88C810729.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, larrynimmo said:

8103BCCC-5824-4D80-B753-56E10B315101.jpeg

01652562-D17E-47A7-B074-27A88C810729.jpeg

That’s probably right. To be sure, you’d have to jack it up and clamp a bar across the rudder pedals and measure it with a travel board, but there’s enough slop in the linkages that 1 deg is probably a guesstimate anyway. :)

On 7/19/2023 at 3:22 PM, Shadrach said:

Are you landing nose high mains first? Does it happen before the nose touches?

I am betting it’s in the nose gear. I would get it up on jacks and inspect everything. Carefully inspect the linkage for play and the truss for cracks. It’s conceivable that a crack in the truss might flex open under the load of touchdown changing geometry yet be nearly invisible to the naked eye on the ramp.

Just had the plane jacked up and Nose gear was checked, nose to rudder alignment, tightness of nose gear, measurement from prop to ground and the only think that was found is that the brakes disk and pads were very worn and in need of replacing.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 9:58 AM, Htmlkid said:

Just had the plane jacked up and Nose gear was checked, nose to rudder alignment, tightness of nose gear, measurement from prop to ground and the only think that was found is that the brakes disk and pads were very worn and in need of replacing.

Well that is easily and quickly remedied. Do let us know if new brake liners change the situation.

On 7/25/2023 at 1:57 PM, Shadrach said:

Well that is easily and quickly remedied. Do let us know if new brake liners change the situation.

So went for a demo flight today (since the repair) and on my first landing I was was overly conscious about the plane pulling to the left and upon landing the plane again pulled slightly to the left but I corrected it quickly... I jumped a little to the right then down the center. Im thinking now that the rudder pedals are a lot more responsive in this plane to my F. It seems the slightest pressure left or right while landing will move the plane very quickly to one side or the other.... 

Is there a difference in the F model to the J that would cause this? or in the J 205 MSE model which is what I own?

PS Second landing was even better and almost no pull to the left or right....

I don’t think that the design is different - the J is derived from the F. But Mooney steering has a lot of places for slop to develop as parts wear. If your J has less lost motion than you are use to, it will seem a lot more responsive.